What the heck is this spring?

-
You people are great. I’m always amazed by the knowledge of the people on this forum.

LOL did you miss post #11.. or 18.... or #2, 9, or the FSM diagram showing it hooked to the fork?

If he has the early linkage like mine, the FSM does not show it. It depends on his production date. The early 65 and back use one type and the later 65-66 uses something similar to the 67 and up cars, so I can see where he might be kornfrooshed if he has the earlier linkage.

Mine's like this.
upload_2021-4-6_6-33-31.png

I think the spring is there also to keep the release bearing from riding on the clutch cover fingers all the time, causing early release bearing wear. One end attaches to the bearing fork & the other end attaches to the bell housing on mine.

I just wanted to report back. The spring wasn’t even attached to the clutch fork. I finally took to a mechanic that was willing to let me use his lift. The only purpose that spring was doing that we could figure is to make a TWANG! when turning left. We found a suitable spring that would actually attach to the clutch fork and bellhousing to keep tension on it. Clutch works great with no noise now. It’s my first 4-speed Mopar and learned a bunch today. It basically looks like Kendog’s pic except we mounted it to the little notch in the clutch fork. I think the previous owner was lucky that clutch fork didn’t just drop out going over a speed bump. It’s just sitting on it.

Last edited:
-
Back