What the heck is this?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Was going through an old tool box that I bought years ago and I found this tool and I have no idea what it’s for. Looks like it says “Fletcher” on the side.

39D1ACF7-D108-4C30-9722-4A4E69DB9E4E.jpeg

10CB1D22-E42A-409C-9500-C0ACD79A53C9.jpeg

D5A502CE-8A65-4601-BC0D-296C0069795D.jpeg

I have NEVER been able to successfully, cleanly, cut a piece of glass with one of those

Yep small wheel on end of tool is to etch glass. The notches are what glass sits in. I remember watching dad several times try them lol

I've used it successfully to cut replacement glass for old single pane windows. You need a good sharp edge to snap the glass on and don't press too hard .

Score a line, preferably a straight one, with the wee wheel, and then hold the score line over a sharp edge and push carefully. Use the notches to 'grab' small pieces and lever 'em off. My grandpa could use one very proficiently.
Me, not so much.

Not for use on tempered glass lol..... probably why you dont see those so much anymore... One reason anyway.

Seemed to me the cutter worked pretty darn well if you are working on a decent workbench. See the little notches are different widths for different glass thicknesses?? When I tried using those, i'd bust the pane every time.

It took me all semester of my stained glass art class, to remember to cut the inside curves first, went through too much glass. My teacher used to repair Tiffany stained glass pieces.

It took me all semester of my stained glass art class, to remember to cut the inside curves first, went through too much glass. My teacher used to repair Tiffany stained glass pieces.
I always wanted to do stained glass. I can solder better than I can cut glass. LOL

Not for use on tempered glass lol..... probably why you dont see those so much anymore... One reason anyway.

Seemed to me the cutter worked pretty darn well if you are working on a decent workbench. See the little notches are different widths for different glass thicknesses?? When I tried using those, i'd bust the pane every time.
Busting the pane is part of the process:poke:

Way back when, many a homeowner had one of those tools.
Yep, and a box of the little push in spikes that held the glass in place while you puttied the perimeter of the window back. You also had to know how to get the sides of the window frame off to put a new rope on the weights that held the window open, after the old rope rotted in two and the weight fell into the bottom of the window frame...lol. Ah, the good ol days. :)

We had a guy in Macon that was in business since the late 40s after he got back from the war. He was a good friend of Daddy's. Wiley Williams was his name and he owned Wiley Williams Glass Company. Daddy got him to make a couple of glass tops for some barrel tables that Kitty and I still have today. I was just a kid, but I watched him do it in the front yard. He had a glass cutter almost exactly like the one above that attached to an adjustable arm with a suction cup on the end. He took that arm, suctioned it to a large square piece of glass and cut two perfectly sized round glass table tops in less than a minute a piece. That old guy really knew how to do it. It takes skill for sure.

Yep, and a box of the little push in spikes that held the glass in place while you puttied the perimeter of the window back. You also had to know how to get the sides of the window frame off to put a new rope on the weights that held the window open, after the old rope rotted in two and the weight fell into the bottom of the window frame...lol. Ah, the good ol days. :)
Dont forget that putty knife with V type blade for the glazing compound LOL. Come to think of it, I have one somewhere
The weights in window pockets, yes I remember that well. Most of mine were replaced with chain.
Now, ive heard that guys who went deep sea fishing for tile fish would use those weights for sinkers, dont know if thats true but its what I heard
In my old house back in the day the hot setup was take out the parting strip between windows, take out the windows and install them back with these aluminium pockets that had a metal strip that held the sash. They worked ok depending on the sash........ Now we hit the big times here and have all new fancy Anderson casements and bows LOL.
Yes the good old days

I had good luck after the learning curve, back in high school I cut & stuck decorative mirrors on the wall around vanity mirror in bathroom. It made the bathroom seem larger than it actually was. That was back in early 70's. Dave

-
Back