What the heck is up with 8-3/4" rearends?

-
E body 8 3/4 still cheap/

Too wide for A body, but still around and cheap.

Glad I stocked up on chunks a few years ago, as I have noticed a spike in the prices for those.

For the record I think they actually are making an aftermarket 8 3/4 housing but they're like $1000.

I paid a bundle for my 8.75 with sure grip ans 3.23 gears, fresh quality rebuild, drum to drum. And I drove 350 miles to get it. 1300.00 Dollars. But to me well worth the bread.

I paid $100 for mine, everything but the 3rd member. $250 for 3:55 suregrip (rebuilt).The problem is that was 15 years ago! I have sold complete rearends for the magic number of $1000 that need rebuilding, so I'm guilty of the high prices too. However, we have to remember, if we wanted to buy cheaper parts we would own Chevy's. There are still quite a few 8 & 3/4's out here, problem is the only two yards that have these older cars know what they can get for them! All American Classics (Vancouver, Wa) and Wildcat Auto Wrecking (Sandy, Or.) I know what I will have to pay for parts and have accepted that. The second problem is, most of the pick n pull places over here on the West coast are owned by scrap metal recycling companies. When they can't afford to buy scrap from the general public for the market price they shut down their yards and start shredding their cars no matter the year. I work in a scrap yard, we don't own any of these yards, however we buy from the public. I see cars of all years hauled, towed and driven in, yes I said Driven! Anyways, there is no getting away from it, if we don't like the weak original rearends we need to pony up the $$$$.

8.8 all day long... grabbed a complete v8 lsd 373 explorer rear with driveshaft, lines and leafs for 250...

yeah but now you have turds in your car :finga:

Arguably as strong as an 8.75, disk brakes and way cheaper parts... Win,win,win. I've got nothing against 8.75s they're great rears and I have one under my 72 Duster but I got it WITH the car. If I'd have to buy one I'd get an 8.8, in fact, with the wheels I'm planning to run I'm gonna buy an 8.8 and use the 8.75 in one of my other cars.

Arguably as strong as an 8.75, disk brakes and way cheaper parts... Win,win,win. I've got nothing against 8.75s they're great rears and I have one under my 72 Duster but I got it WITH the car. If I'd have to buy one I'd get an 8.8, in fact, with the wheels I'm planning to run I'm gonna buy an 8.8 and use the 8.75 in one of my other cars.

it was a joke about having Ford parts......

Ford

Turd

get it?

Heh... rebuilt center sections on ebay are around $950. Complete rebuilt rears are going for $2800. That's about the price of a new Dana S60

It's simple A-body 8 3/4's bring what they do because demand far out weighs supply, That is why big companies are making then again.

in 2004 I bought a drum to drum E body housing with a 741 2.94 obviously from a different car, not because I needed it, but because it was $100. I didn't even know it was E body then.

About 1.5 years ago, I bought another E body housing drum to drum but with the correct 489 case 2.76, again not because I needed it, but because it was $100.

For some reason I still see E body, and only E body housings for $100.

Heh... rebuilt center sections on ebay are around $950. Complete rebuilt rears are going for $2800. That's about the price of a new Dana S60

Tell me about it!!! I gave $2,200 for an A-body 8.75 in unknown condition with an open diff 3.23!!

Course there was a 72 Duster with a really good condition sharktooth grill and a twin scoop hood sitting on that rearend as well....

Well if your buying one that's properly built already they cost money..i know i've got 1700.00 in my 8 3/4 good parts add up fast..Moser axles $410.00..center section built 3.91's trac-loc sure grip bearings seals $1200.00..new brake drums $80.00..new shoes and hardware $20.00..damn that's a built dana 60:D:D

That's a great deal in my opinion Tim.
Original a-body 8 3/4 prices definitely have increased but still plenty of options available for a strong durable rear depending on your budget.
Prefer to stay mopar myself and was fortunate to find an original a body 8 3/4 awhile back at a nice price.
Now just gotta get it out of spare bedroom ( parts warehouse, LOL ) and under my 65 Valiant.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 332
Jeep= Dana 44's front & rear
Dart=8.75 with 3.23 sure grip

Maybe I should just part them both out? LOL.... :D

Dave,

... I hid it in a Ford van until 1/2 price day came around the following weekend because I knew no one would be looking in there :) ...
Might have been you who hid a nice Holley 1920 in a trunk at the Ecology yard in S.F.S., CA. Guess they figured no M-B diesel owner would also have an old slant. Wrong (me). I sold it to a local guy cheap to try to get his slant purring.

some try to ask all the money.
those are ones you ignore.
deals are out there.
gotta look for them.
I sold a drum to drum 8 3/4 323 open from a 71 twister to a dealer last weekend.
he needed for a customer. $300.00
here you go jim.
he will do me good some day.

in 2004 I bought a drum to drum E body housing with a 741 2.94 obviously from a different car, not because I needed it, but because it was $100. I didn't even know it was E body then.

About 1.5 years ago, I bought another E body housing drum to drum but with the correct 489 case 2.76, again not because I needed it, but because it was $100.

For some reason I still see E body, and only E body housings for $100.
I believe some year C bodies use the same rear as the E bodies. The reason you are finding them cheap may be because they really came out of a C body.

I have no problem with a ford rear, caddilac seats, chevy ignition and whatever else I fancy.

I hotrod, not antique.

Just feel like ranting a little.

Over the years I've watched 8-3/4's go from $300 for a complete unit that you could bolt in your car and drive, to $500, to $800, and finally to people asking $1000 for a complete rear. And not a rebuilt one, just a complete one.

I realize they are not making any more of these, but what the heck, they aren't made of gold !

Ok, rant off.

I hear ya and just ponied up about $900 to DrDiff for a nodular housing, 35 spline spool and everything needed to assemble it and still need axles. At least it`s NEW stuff though.........

Like anything else. Supply and demand. If you have a A body rear and sell it to someone for say $500, The next guy hears about that and asks $500 for his or maybe more and may get it. When the prices get so high that no one buys them any more, the prices will come down. Even faster if someone comes up with a cheaper alternative. (like the 8.8 Ford) Don't pay the big price, be patient and wait for a deal, or find a different way.

-
Back