What the???

-

Suregrip391

Reaction score
My painter called today and told me he split my windshield right down the center when removing it and wants me to pay the $190 for a new one. Am I wrong in thinking he should pay? He said its 40 year old glass...it happens! So now we are both all torqued up!!!

I think he should atleast pay for half, if not all of it. He should have had help removing it so it would not break. It sucks that it broke but now you will have some nice glass with your new paint job.

Age has nothing to do with glass breaking. If anything it would be the old rubber gasket being too stiff so it was tough to get the glass out. Sounds like he pulled too much on one side and folded it in half. If you have insurance for glass tell him to pay your deductable.

Chuck

Sorry to hear :sad1:
For sure he should! Unless he stated prior, he can't be responsible for the removal of it. There no reason for you to pork out bucks. Life sucks at times, however he knows it's not a "new" car. If this is a business, he should have ways to write a new one off or have his own insurance to cover these kind of damages.
PS Take nothing but a "new" one if possible...just another used one maybe in bad shape.

I guess its a good thing that he didn't close his garage door on your cars roof. You know, "its an old roof". Sounds to me like an unprofessional worker making excuses for their shortcomings. JMO, Mike

Do not take any bull **** from this guy and step on him hard.I removed my front and rear glass on my 65 300,in my driveway,no problem by my self.Either he pays for the window,or you take the car else where,mrmopartech

Thanks guys....just needed some support on this one. He's a one man shop that does collision work. Shop is out back of his house. The car is completly stripped and the complete dash frame is out for painting as well. Last weekend (when things were cool) he said the car was about 6 hours away from being painted. Needing more block sanding etc....The voicemail I got today was "ok, I dont see how its my fault "40 year old glass" but I will eat it and just get this "job" otta here! I have a feeling my paint job has just been compromised.....I put alot of time and money into all the parts and detail work while the car was away at his shop (inetrior, pully's brackets, engine, transmission, rearend and much more!!) and tried my BEST to make it look great. Im hoping my car comes out just as nice as the stuff I restored for it.I just get that feelin' Im not gonna be happy....What a bummer! :sad1: Here is a pic of the car about a month ago...

bh97.JPG

don't take any crap from this guy, he sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing, and yes he should totally pay for a new windshield. I hope that your paint job comes out okay though.

Suregrip, I only say this because the guy has your car and has not painted it yet, BUT, seeing as how he has offered to eat his mistake, perhaps it would be wise to offer to split it with him, hoping that this gesture will persuade him to go the extra step in making sure you get a good quality job. You don't want a guy working on your car that has a bad attitude. Sucks, but it might be the way to go. JMO, Mike

ValiantMike said:
Suregrip, I only say this because the guy has your car and has not painted it yet, BUT, seeing as how he has offered to eat his mistake, perhaps it would be wise to offer to split it with him, hoping that this gesture will persuade him to go the extra step in making sure you get a good quality job. You don't want a guy working on your car that has a bad attitude. Sucks, but it might be the way to go. JMO, Mike

This man speaks the truth.... yes, you wind up paying for half of it but, in my mind, ~$80 is nothing when it comes to washing your car every week for the next 10 years and noticing the sanding marks, orange peel, fish eyes, etc in the paint due to the painter being less then happy when painting your car.

H22A4 said:
This man speaks the truth.... yes, you wind up paying for half of it but, in my mind, ~$80 is nothing when it comes to washing your car every week for the next 10 years and noticing the sanding marks, orange peel, fish eyes, etc in the paint due to the painter being less then happy when painting your car.

I agree but its better to keep him happy now so he doesnt botch the paint job. We all know what kind of horror storys seem to come from body shops.

I wouldn't let him paint my dog house with that kind of attitude. You need to set down with the man and be kind to him and ask "Is this windshield going to determine the quality paint job of my car? If it is then lets work something out here." Now if he dose not want to work it out to where you both can calm down and pick up before the windshield broke then I would get my car out of there.

H22A4 said:

It sucks *** but I also agree. We pulled the glass out of Nikkis 72 scamp and had no problem and it was the stock glass (front and rear).
Like H22A4 said 80 bucks is nothing, but at least you will have a new windsheild for half the price. I would try to watch him like a hawk and make sure that he isn't cutting any corners. If he half asses something just pay him for the work he did up to that point and get the car out of there!

I agree with the guys, it is his fault the windshield got broken, with window wire and care my 70 windshield came out fine. But I have a feeling this set back is going to affect the quality of the rest of the work. It sucks but eating half the cost of the window may help, then again you never know, so here's hopin' all turns out well!

I agree that the glass shouldn't have broken. That being said, $190 for a new piece of glass is great. I'm a reconditioning manager and I put put tons of glass in used cars because of the vast improvement. On my own ride, even though the glass is not broken, it is original (1971) and I will be replacing it. In the end you will be happier, and so will he. Technically, he shouldn't have broken it...but you would have ended up with a hazey, finely scratched and sand chipped windshield. And after its painted, you would notice it and probably want to replace it anyway. New windshields make a huge difference on older and newer. And this way, your not paying for installation again.

I'd ethier tell 'em You broke it, you pay for it or, sure, no problem, put it on the bill. We'll square up at the finish. Then ask for the bill and deduct the difference with, "I'll see you in court if theres a problem." Now give me my car or I'll call the cops."

OR, pay the final installment via credit card and then call up the card company and cancell the whole thing. Or dedduct the windsheild amount.

-
Back