What to clean/poilsh aluminum rims

-

73DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys car has sat under the carport all winter and the once shiny rims have become dull. They are aluminum and I got them cause they looked good and biggest of all they dont RUST! but now that they have "dulled up" what is the best stuff to put a shine back on them...they dont need to shine like chrome or anything just want them clean and non tarnished looking. I have a drill a mothers power ball and some buffs/wheels and stuff I can use..just dont know what compound/stuff to use to clean them up. HELP please!

Are they clear coated? Most wheels are, if so, some fine compound like Dupont 1500S will clean up the clear coat. If they are not cleared, then try Flitz or Met-all. I prefer the Met-all then use regular old baking flour to help get the cleaner/polisher off the aluminum. They will polish to a chrome like finish.

John

Mothers mag wheel polish,i've tried just about everything out there and always come back to it..

I'd use semichrome polish first to clean and bring the shine up.Then switch to mother's to refine the shine

No, they are not clear coated...I think the stuff I was trying to use was either not abrasive enough or just a polish...it bwsiacly looked like id barely touched the wheel after using a drill and buff with it...that was Blue Magic metal polish cream...basicaly looked like id done nothing after buffing the same rim for 5 minutes just trying to see what it would do.

I used some stuff once on a set of old ET mags that were heavily oxidized and the stuff I used and cant remember what it was worked GREAT in about 10 ,inutes a rim all the oxidization was gone and it was getting a decent shine....

And with the wenol and type stuff are we talking about just the tube polish OR are we talking about the bars?

-
Back