what to do for radiator hose

-

buckshotbishop

Old Soul
Reaction score
Just droped the 340 in my valiant with a summit 26" radiator. So other then going down to my local napa and taking every 1 3/4 and 1 1/2 in hose they have (which isnt much) what should i do? What do you guys do for radiator hose with an aftermarket radiator.

i was thinking about using aluminum elbows and radiator tubing to make my own, but that will get expensive quickly. like this stuff
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...rant-performance-aluminum-tubing?autoview=SKU

You can order flexible metal radiator hoses from summit or similar sites. Or take a few measurements and pictures to bring in with you to a local auto parts shop. Odds are they will have something really close. I've used hoses ment for import cars and trucks. You just need bends in the right places. Other option is say 2 hoses with a coupler in between. Since they are rubber you do have some give, just not to much as you don't want it to pinch.

When I swapped out for an aftermarket radiator I was able to get the correct upper & lower hoses by the application ('72 Duster w/318). Since some of the later A bodies came with a 26" radiator you ought to be able to find a correct hose. Unless the radiator has some different size outlet...
IIRC, I had to trim the lower, but not the top hose.
C

I have the old radiator hose from my SB to my OE radiator. I had a straight up o-ring style t-stat housing to a driver's side radiator hose inlet. If you think it will work you can have it for the shipping costs. I went to a Coolflex hose because I loved the look. Here is the only pic I have of it on this computer. You can download the pic and blow it up to see it clearer.

View attachment P1000281 (1024x768).jpg

I have the old radiator hose from my SB to my OE radiator. I had a straight up o-ring style t-stat housing to a driver's side radiator hose inlet. If you think it will work you can have it for the shipping costs. I went to a Coolflex hose because I loved the look. Here is the only pic I have of it on this computer. You can download the pic and blow it up to see it clearer.

View attachment 1714677033

from that photo it looks like that wont work. my inlet is about 4 or 5 inches closer to the battery.

Go down to the local advance auto go to the back and look at there hoses, if you take it home and it doesnt fit just bring it back and try again, or get about three the first time and bring the rest back.

I bent a coat hanger in the shape I wanted, went down to the local O'Reilly store and walked up and down the aisles looking for one I could cut. I found one. You could also go with a Coolflex like I did.

Something similar to THIS and a couple of rubber elbows. If you need it with 2 different sizes just take this to a muffler shop and have them "swedge" or what ever the hell it is called to the right size.

Why do you say the hose in post #4 won't fit. The angles would still work for 4" closer to the battery, it just might need to be a little longer which it may be since most are for multiple applications and "cut to fit".

An upper hose should be easy. Most cars use a 1.5"D upper. Many rodders use a Ford F-150 upper hose because it is long, with many bends. By cutting it in the middle and rotation it, using an aluminum tube splice they can fit most anything. Your lower hose is 1.75" and usually is a bit harder to fit since fewer choices and must clear belts.

-
Back