What To Do with a 340 engine?

-

70orangeswinger

Reaction score
Don't know if I am in the right forum or not but I have a question I thought I would run by some of you. I have a 69 340 that is complete but disassembled. I was thinking of selling it but I don't know the best way of going about it. Do I reassemble it or have the block checked out or bored? I don't which direction to go. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

Don't know if I am in the right forum or not but I have a question I thought I would run by some of you. I have a 69 340 that is complete but disassembled. I was thinking of selling it but I don't know the best way of going about it. Do I reassemble it or have the block checked out or bored? I don't which direction to go. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.
I would sell it as a disassembled engine. If you did anything you may have the block and heads checked for cracks, but I would leave any machine work to the buyer.

you will need to post lots of pics and have lots of info e.g. size of the current pistons, if it still has the forged crank, does it have X heads, etc. If you get it checked for cracks and get the bores and crank evaluated (without getting the machine work done), you can ask more for the motor, since otherwise you would be buying a "pig in a poke", that could be worth nothing but scrap.

Having a machine shop check things over can be pricey. That's just checking, no machine work. I would leave it apart and sell disassembled.
As 694spd mentioned, what is the vin?

You need to have block and heads magnaflux for cracks, that way you can get more money, As B'cuda posted ,basically could be scrap to another buyer, REASON i know, 2 months ago ,drove 400 mile picked up used motor for my duster, When i took out crank , it was bad, had wobbled inside block , had 2 cracks at main bearing, couldn't see by eye, just happy the shop i took it to ,for boring .030, magnafluxed block and found cracks, so while i was upset at the crack, i'm just glad it was caught before machining and assembly and all the work to put it in the car.

Having a machine shop check things over can be pricey. That's just checking, no machine work. I would leave it apart and sell disassembled.
I will not be able to provide the vin till monday. Just curious, why is the vin so interesting?

I will not be able to provide the vin till monday. Just curious, why is the vin so interesting?
Probably one reason is because as posted on Fabo a brazillion times, folks are looking for their long lost engines that were separated from the car they presently have.

trying to pm you 4sp...your inbox is full.

-
Back