What To Do With It ??

-

RPM

Superior Member
Reaction score
Ah like the title states... what do I do with it.
This old '68 D100 Adventurer has been in my family my whole life... I even learned to drive on it... ya... real strongarm steering !

The truck just sits and rots now and I hate that. Something happend in the steering gear... has a BIG empty spot when steering which gets a little scary.
And since sitting I think the master cylinder has gone kaput cuz the brake pedal is all wonkey. I thought it would be a fun truck to restore and use it to pull my Duster around on a trailer with... dunno... and parts for these trucks are not exactly a re-pop item. It does have rust in the floor and also in the inner door steps.... its heavy metal though so it can be cut.

Here is the plus side of things....

has a '71 440ci motor... which has some cam, but stock other then that. plenty of oomph though for the old brake shoes !!

Has a 8 3/4 rear with 3:55 sure grip

Has 727 Loadflight trans.

I dunno... here is the pics..... keep in mind she sits and is old and dirty.

ya its got a later year hood on it after a mishap
P1020857.jpg

old red
P1020858.jpg

we keep the dash covered at least.. not one crack in the passeger dash pad
P1020859.jpg

tell me these shifters werent made for banging gears... this one has... :)
P1020860.jpg

looks like the rear end seeping a bit o' fluid
P1020861.jpg

'71 440....seen better days but still runs good.
P1020856.jpg

ok so... do I work on this pig ? Do i jerk the powertrain and stab it into a short bed 72 and later with IFS ? Do I .....do i..... Scrap it and sell the stuff ?

inputs, ideas, and offers all considered !

-RPM

Please dont scrap it!!!!! I would fix it up and drive it, they do make new floor pans and door steps. My dad just put some in his 71. Those trucks are few and far between fix it and use it to pull your Duster. I am actually looking for one now to do the same thing with. Those old trucks are cool. go to sweptline.org or sweptline.com or dodgesweptline.org all kinds of cool stuff for these trucks even a IFS swap how to.

Don't scrap it. If you have the time and maybe a bit of money i'd do a semi restoration on it. Get it in drivable condition again and use it to pull your duster, haul around parts, whatever, It's a cool truck and definately worth while saving. If you don't have the time or money to fixer up i'd say sell it as a whole to someone who might have the time and money to fix it. Just my 2 cents but hey it's your truck. Good luck however you go about it.

keep it.....it is costing you nothing to sit in your yard. but if things were to change and you wanted a truck like it later, you will pay to get it back......

if you scrap it you will live to regret it but you will never regret fixing it up and driving it

appreciate all the input... ya I really want to keep it.. I guess after some research I can get a steering gear for it.. can still get a master cylinder.. and the rest is a crap *** load of elbow grease... lol .

I know the poor suspension needs redone.. springs wobble a bit... the truck itself has over 300K miles on it.... started life as a 318, then went to 360 (which by the way now sits in my Duster) then we dumped in the 440. Sees a little more power with each engine swap.. lol..

Well maybe it will become my next project.. still thinking on it though.

-RPM

Do a resto-mod on it and use it for towing. :) I'm a sucker for old trucks, lol.

Swap out the 8 3/4 and drop in a Dana 60 with a 3.73 or 4.11 gear, heavy duty rear springs, rebuild the 727 with a trans-go shift kit, new clutches, steels and bands. Add an overdrive unit from Gear Vendors.

Rebuild the 440 for about 9.5:1, stab in a hydraulic roller cam with duration in the mid 220's and a wide LSA in the 112-114 area and top it off with fuel injection.

That's what I'd do!

You can rebuild it. You have the technology. It can be..."The Six-Million Dollar Truck"
Woo hoo!! :hello1:

ohhhh Brian you funny..... actuallly....it will take 6 million just to get this rig up to par..... there goes the kids schooling.... and then some.

Anyone have a spare steering gear for one of these laying around ???

-RPM

If you scrap that truck the next time I drive through Idaho I will stop and kick you in the gonads!

While you are playing with the steering gear....get a PS box and pump.........

You will thank me later on.

wasnt the power steering on these things a joke back then ?? I dunno... the truck was originally a power steering truck, but my dad swapped it out in 1971 because he said it was junk. I really have no idea.

-RPM

Reviving this old thread...... I think......think... think.... I am going to start tearing into this old truck for a winter project..... I need motivation... MOTIVATE ME ! lol....

-RPM

Re read the whole post, if that doesn't give you inspiration, nothing will.
Get after it man!
You know you want it.......

keep in mind......if you can't find a part to fix it you can always modify something from another vehicle to make it work.

It only takes time and imagination :)

-
Back