what to do with this rally dash?????????????????????????

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
i have the rally dash out of the car i am building. i have pulled it all apart, media blasted it, and now am clueless on the next steps.

am i supposed to use some special primer for this plastic? and then what color am i going to paint first? the black or the silver?

anyone have a pic of a completely restores grille?

Attachments

• rally dash 001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 215
  • rally dash 002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 214
  • rally dash 003.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 201
  • rally dash 004.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 211
  • rally dash 005.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 197
  • rally dash 006.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 206
  • rally dash 007.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 221
Do you want to have it rechromed? Or did it ever have chrome on it to start with? Hard to tell. If you do, painting it may make that impossible. I have read that somewhere before. Somethin about the paint makes it very difficult or impossible for the chrome to stick and sometimes even after removal, the paint has changed the plastic chemically and the chrome still won't stick. I don't know the whys and what nots, but I do remember reading that somewhere. Nice lookin piece though either way. It will turn out good I'm sure.

Tedious work, First scuff it with a scuff pad then paint it all one color, say silver using automotive paint with a catalyst so it will stay there after it is masked , let it cure. Secondly, mask off all the silver where there will be black and paint it black and after it sets up remove the mask slowly.

Now let me explain what should be done in reality. Find a company who chrome plates plastic and have it done, then paint the black after masking off all the silver which is not to be painted. Either way, when you mask it, use an X-acto knife with a very sharp blade so not to dig in as you are also making for a detailed look of what it needs to look like. Removal of masking tape is just a tedious so as to not pull any paint from your dash.

Hope this helps :)

i do believe it had the chrome on it at one point, as some was under the woodgrain pieces, but there is not a drop of chrome left on it now, must have all peeled off at some point

search Google

Oh yes this was chromed and the black was flat with a sheen to it, probably can use a semi gloss.

I been a pinstriper and painter most all my life and this is something I personally believe to be excessive.

Are you restoring your vehicle or personalizing it is the question you should ask yourself before you go overboard, so to speak.

I personally would sleep on it and figure out what's the best way to tackle this even if I had to find another dash in great shape and use your Rally gauges if that could be done and if that's what was needed

yea, my budget allows for zero (0) more dollars to be spent(which i do not have). lol i right now have 5900 into the car and it is still a rolling shell.lmao

340...... the chroming of the dash is actually an aluminum vacuum process and it is unbelievably expensive and DOES NOT LAST worth a fiddlers damn...if you accidentally get windex on it it will screw up!!! Find a decent painter, have them paint the base coat what ever color you decide then mask it off and have them paint the accent coat must be done kinda quickly as most catalyzed base coat paint must be cleared within so many hours or it needs to be re-sanded if you want a sort of chrome look use a high grade silver with lots of super fine flake in it.....then use a black OR what ever color you decide will look yummy with your config....after all the color and accent color is on it strip off the masking CAREFULLY and clear the whole thing........you can then pretty much wash it with thinner and it wont screw up! apply the woodgrain using a latex based adheseive can be found at home depot liquid nails in the blue tubes that say LAYTEX wont melt the plastic or the woodgrain...... the point being its kinda up to you the look you are going for

i wanted it to look stock, but i was thinking of doing the chrome area in a silver, but the area that is supposed to be black, i am thinking of doing it the color of the car. just to ad some BAM to it

Color combos are between you and your painter....NEWS FLASH DO NOT USE RATTLE CANED PAINT......it has almost zero bonding & hardening agents and is mostly propellent if you want this to LAST longer than a few weeks/months find someone that has a decent compressor and knows their way around mixing and spray guns and materials

i do do my own painting most of the time. just not in this cold wheather.lol

try what I did....I found a few badly screwed up IP's on ebay and bought them for peanuts....then I tried a few combos using rattle cans....once I found the combo I wanted I did the "good dash"..... that way I actually got to see my ideas in color.....I must admit some sounded HOT as hell and when faced with them in living color they looked like ****!! experiment a little before you do the final copy

When I re-did the dash on my 64 Valiant Conv I used the bright silver (engine paint color for the 50's mopar flathead six). then a day or two later I used a matte finish clear urethane over it and it came out looking like the rest of the dash that had not been touched. That was 20 years ago and still no peel or fade. Try it on a piece of test plastic from a hobby shop.
As far as which color to do first-always do the lighter first as the darker will cover it but white(light) has a hard time covering black(dark).

there was a artical in mopar muscle a couple years back on painting the rally bezel, i bet its on line

-
Back