What to do????

-

SleeperScamp

Reaction score
O.K. all you body guys what should I do in this situation???? I have access to another donor roof that has no holes or should I try and patch this??? Any input is greatly appreciated... If you have pics of similar repairs could I please see them....
100_1779.jpg

100_1778.jpg

100_1781.jpg

Run like hell!! :banghead: Seriously though, I'd cut it off and put the new one on. You only have to weld it on at the A and B pillars which is a hell of lot less welding than trying to patch that beast. Good luck, may the force be with you. :salut:

Yeah!! I told y'all the other pics of the Duster hid a lot of rust.... and for all you guys up north if someone ever says " Texas car no rust""" watch out !!!! Most folks don't realize the humidity we have down here is terrible, and we have about a 1/4 inch of dew every morning..LOL... This is what happens when you leave a car parked out under pine trees for a few years... :wack:

Thanks for the input I probably will go with the whole roof... Anyone ever done that???

That's about the only thing I haven't had to do on a car. It's a lot easier than chopping a roof though as it's a direct fit, no stretching needed. Hopefully you can use the lower part of your A and B pillars, then it's just (I use the word "just" rather loosely :lol: ) a matter of marking the new roof at the same level as where you cut the other one off. A few friends to help, tack it in place, make sure your glass fits in properly before you final weld it all up. Sounds simple from where I'm sitting, some 4000 miles away where it's safe :lol:

yup,,, I'm with the others,, that could be fixed but ,,,,man what a job it would be. It would take haqlf as much time to but a new one on at the pillars. measure 5 times cut once good luck

I too would go with the whole roof instead of trying to patch that thing up.The more you tear into that mess the worse it is going to get I PROMISE!I have not replaced a complete reoof neither but I am sure you can find someone that has and get some great information on how to get the job done. Good Luck and keep us posted with progress pictures.

Not the original top , but the one the guy put on during his " restoration" several years ago before he parked it.... :wack:

Since you have rust in a couple of places, i would replace it rather than repair, especially if you have a cheap donor. The time it would take to blast, repair, bondo, prime and sand would be, well a while.

Cut the donor roof as low on the pillar as possible, bottom of the window frame, doesn't have to be pretty at this point. Get as much metal as you need to get below the rust. Set aside to cool.
Get some measurements from either vehicle for the openings, top to bottom. Write them on the donor roof in permanent marker or somewhere they won't get lost....
cut off the old roof just below the rust or at the factory seam(back) if possible.
measure, measure, and measure the roof and mark where you need to cut. The front is relatively easy, since it is small. leave an inch or two extra in the back to overlap if you don't use the factory seam. Set the new roof on the rough opening, and start trimming to the proper opening. (the back has inner panels to, and some bracing to the wheel house sometimes- easier to find where they join and cut, rather than trying to butt weld or overlap).
measure again, tack in place and paint.
Yeah, made that sound easy. ; )
Don't make it harder than it is, it's just another body panel!
Whistle while your doing it, that will relax you and you'll think you know what you're doing.

Is it just those 3 spots? or more? IMO, you may get away with large patch pieces, from the donor car. Cutting the whole roof off, I'd weld a decent amount of X bracing inside to be sure things dont shift when you cut.

just an observation but since it all seams to be around the rear glass, could you maybe cut out the window frame and just replace that area from the donor car? i'm not a body man ive just been told its better to replace as little metal as possible.

-
Back