what to do?????

-

wetodd

Reaction score
okay, so i am thinking i am going to build the 68 cuda fastback. here's the question. its all original and unmolested, 318, 4speed matching numbers. should i remove the 318 and put a hopped up 340, 383 or stroke the one i have. don't think i can afford to put a 440 or hemi. also should i replace the 4 speed and put in a tremec tko? any and all your thoughts would be helpful in making my decision.
but as i type this a just received a cruve ball. a friend of mine be selling his 72 roadrunner.........i does not have the rust issues my cuda does. rear quarters, trunk floor. damn....now i am really confused.
thanks in advance......... :p i can't seem to get my pics small enough to upload, so here's a link......http://www.cardomain.com/ride/781072

I'd say put a 340 or something in it, or even a 360, but keep the 318 and in case you wanted to sell it, just put the 318 back in and stuff, but thats just me.

i would try a 360 they are easier too find and makes more torque than the 340 and maybee a 5speed of some kind would also bee nice

i would do a 340 or a 340 stroker...depending on how much money you have to work with.
tell us how much money you have to spend and WE'LL SPEND IT FOR YOU!!! :wink:

thats a nice car. why not build the 318 into a 13 or 14 sec car with the 4 spd, killer paint in orig color, fresh interior and new tires and wheels. an investment of 6 to 8000 should net a retail of 12000 or more. free advice and worth every penny

well the plan is to repair the rust, paint it viper red, white interior, front and rear suspension, 3.73 true trac , disc brake conv. front. if i go with a 340-360 and put in a 5 speed i figure i'll spend around 11,000.00...

Well if it was me,I would pull the 318 and keep it in storage in case original 318 barracudas become collector items some day.HA.HA.But put a built 360 in it and keep the 4speed.That's basically what i'm doing with mine.Except i have an automatic car to start with.

I face a similar dilema. I just acquired a 1969 Dodge Dart GT conv. with a matching numbers 318 and auto trans. I think I am going to work up the original 318, following the budget build up in a recent issue of Car Craft (I think that is the magazine.) I don't plan on racing it or anything. If I find the link, I will post it.

I think the 1st question to be answered is did you buy the car to enjoy it as a street sweet Sunday cruiser or as an investment?

If street sweet, do whatever will make you happy.
If as an investment, keep it all original.

When I got my car, the plan was to restore it. I attended a lot of car shows to see other restorations and talk to the people that owned the cars, and to tell the truth, it bored me a little. I then went to a local drag strip and had a blast watching a friend with a '68 fastback running 11.50's Made my mind up that very day to change my plans and build a drag car. Yeah, it's got a 10pt cage and all the necessary race items, but I did keep the dash all original.....just in case.

wetodd said:
okay, so i am thinking i am going to build the 68 cuda fastback. here's the question. its all original and unmolested, 318, 4speed matching numbers. should i remove the 318 and put a hopped up 340, 383 or stroke the one i have. don't think i can afford to put a 440 or hemi. also should i replace the 4 speed and put in a tremec tko? any and all your thoughts would be helpful in making my decision.
but as i type this a just received a cruve ball. a friend of mine be selling his 72 roadrunner.........i does not have the rust issues my cuda does. rear quarters, trunk floor. damn....now i am really confused.
thanks in advance......... :p i can't seem to get my pics small enough to upload, so here's a link......http://www.cardomain.com/ride/781072
Sell the Cuda to me cheap, and buy the RR. :director:

What are the intentions for the car, Street or strip?
There is no difference between putting in a 383 or a 440, They will require the same amount of money and work to install, the Hemi is a different story.
You already have a small block in there so I would stick with that.
As for Rust issues, You live in Texas right?? Come up North and we'll show you what rust looks like. :tongue3:

And Remember
Sell the Cuda to me cheap, and buy the RR. :director:

781072_1.jpg

781072_5.jpg

781072_3.jpg

you found my car!!!!!!!! well the plan is to make a street rod out of it. i don't plan on dragging it, but i do want it to be loud when it needs to be and fast, clean and neat, with a bite.

stict7cuda did you have to shorten your rear end. i like the big tires out back and the small ones up front. i do not like what i am seeing in a lot of hotrod mags. lowered cars, huge rims, looks like lower rider crap, we all use to hate in the 70-80s. well i still don't like it. to me it just doesn't look like a hotrod unless the rear is up a bit with the big tires and down a bit in front with smaller tires. like this. i think this is one of the hottest barracuda's i have seen.

cuda12.jpg

wetodd said:
stict7cuda did you have to shorten your rear end. i like the big tires out back and the small ones up front. i do not like what i am seeing in a lot of hotrod mags. lowered cars, huge rims, looks like lower rider crap, we all use to hate in the 70-80s. well i still don't like it. to me it just doesn't look like a hotrod unless the rear is up a bit with the big tires and down a bit in front with smaller tires. like this. i think this is one of the hottest barracuda's i have seen.

You took the words right out of my mouth!LOL..........I want to do something similar to my ride.

The real question here is Is the car restorable? If its worth restoring leave it as a 318 car. That has to be twenty times rarer than a 340 car. I'm sure that would be a very low production vehicle. You could always put a stroker crank in it and get around 340 cubes but still look sorta stock. good luck

don

wetodd said:

I like it. That is an awesome look!

-
Back