what to do?

-

Scamper

Reaction score
I am wanting to do my first rebuild myself, so I phoned for quotes on machining my 360 block.
With the whole package it comes to $950. Now if I go short block assembled balanced etc it comes to $1400 and I don't have to buy that part of the rebuild kit.What are the odds that on my first time assembling a bottom end that I will mess it up,as it is only a couple of hundred bucks for a pro to assemble?
I am going to go with a stock bottom end, Hughes whiplash cam, air gap intake, and I am going to try home porting my heads plus open the intake to 2.02.Headers will be cheap ones for now as I am on a serious budget and momma is already having a hard time accepting all this.
Any thoughts or advice on which way to go?
BTW these prices are all in C$. and taxes will be on top :pale:

Pay the bucks for professional assembly. One small mistake costs all your money.

I say do it your self. It is not hard. Just take your time and make sure you torque everything to spec. I would recommend doing a little research first or buy a book on rebuilding engines. If you get stuck just ask for help there are a ton of great people on here

I have ordered all the books on doing this.
My biggest worry is that I will screw up and then it will really cost me, yet I can't learn if I don't do it myself.The longer I think maybe the more relaxed the wife will get lol.
btw what do you guys think of the combo for a weekend fun car?
Eventually I will find an 8 3/4 and put it in with 3.91 or 4.10 gears depending on which I find a better deal on.I am also shopping for a tq converter in the 1800-2400 range.
Thx for your opinions and you guys are where I am at 50/50

Do it yourself!! Just take your time, follow a good book. Not much can replace the feelings when your first build fires!! :cheers:

Stock 360 convertor from 71-73 Fury, small 10 1/4 had 2500 stall. I have one in my Dart.

Thanks for the tip on the fury. How do you recognize this any markings?
I will shop around locally here

Thanks for the tip on the fury. How do you recognize this any markings?
I will shop around locally here
None: external look for 360 balance weights, and small diameter, everyone I've tried like that were high stall.

How do I identify if it's a 10 1/4 as who knows when I open the 727 I have bolted up it may be the right one. Do I measure the outside circumference?

Make sure you have considered everything in the $950. Are the rods assembled to the pistons or are they full floating? Do you have the means to gap the rings? Does the machine work include installing cam bearings, frost plugs etc? I would go with the short block and do the head work and final assembly myself for a $450 difference especially if the short block comes from a good source with some sort of warranty. Just my opinion.....

I think that I agree, I ordered both how to build small block dodge by taylor and hurt, and I ordered the torqueflite book, suspensions book and a Haynes manual lol.
As far as anyone local, I have been out of playing with the toys for over a decade now and really do not know anyone.Good thing I found this site!!
The machining included the pistons attached to the rods-square decked- magnufluxed-each cylinder bored-cam bearing installed-resizing rods and bearings-re and re pistons-polish crank.
I do not have the tools and it will be a buy as I go or rent

use a quality torque wrench and tighter than spec is harmful as it can stretch bolts and lower clamping force. any questions break out the digital camera and we are here to help.

If you have never done it, and you dont have the tools or experience in old auto repairs... I'd pay the pro and see if they will let you watch. The only reason I say maybe have them do it the first time is if you've never done stuf... Like freeze plugs... and you mess it up (it happens...) then you wont find it until the engine is in the car which makes thigns 100% harder when you've rented the lift and stuff. I dont know what your level is, which is why I say that. If you've got some experience on old cars doing m ore than driving and oil changes and you're confident you can take the time and get it right, get the books and do it. But expect to pay for some tools you dont have to do it properly.

I would say do it yourself and learn it. Get some books and read up. If you have a buddy that has some experence that can help too. Buy the tools as needed, get a good torque wrench and use it. Assembling an engine is not difficult but is detail oriented. I allways check the work I have done by any shop as far as clearances and stuff. I would never run an assembled short block without at least some kind of spot check as to clearances and such. We have several good shops in my area and I have used them all from time to time and I have had quaility issues with every one. Last time I had a motor assy done the crank had to be changed and the rods needed more side clearance and when I got it all home I found they had taken too much off the rods I and I had excessive side clearance now. They had all the parts in thier hands and still screwed up. Had to get more rods and resize and re-ballance again. If you do it yourself you know exactly what you have and what has or has not been done, and as others have said there is nothing like starting an engine that you built for the first time.

I would say do it yourself and learn it. Get some books and read up. If you have a buddy that has some experence that can help too. Buy the tools as needed, get a good torque wrench and use it. Assembling an engine is not difficult but is detail oriented. I allways check the work I have done by any shop as far as clearances and stuff. I would never run an assembled short block without at least some kind of spot check as to clearances and such. We have several good shops in my area and I have used them all from time to time and I have had quaility issues with every one. Last time I had a motor assy done the crank had to be changed and the rods needed more side clearance and when I got it all home I found they had taken too much off the rods I and I had excessive side clearance now. They had all the parts in thier hands and still screwed up. Had to get more rods and resize and re-ballance again. If you do it yourself you know exactly what you have and what has or has not been done, and as others have said there is nothing like starting an engine that you built for the first time.

I agree, excellent advice. And you have pride knowing you did it and better knowledge of what's in it!

I just built my engine back in the spring. I had replaced the top end of my motor many times before in years past, but this was the first time I did a complete engine build without help. It is feels good knowing that I did it myself, and if it blows I have no one to blame but me.

One thing to keep in mind; the cost of specialty tools for the engine build vs. the cost of having a local engine builder assemble the short block is probably close to the same...or at least it was for me.

I say go for it, just take your time and ask questions as you go and you'll be fine.

It's a personality flaw of mine... I always seem to forget about friends helping. If you have friends with a little experience it would be a cool thing for them to guide you with the hands on stuff. Like was mentioned... the right tools will cost a few hundred. But if you're into cars, you'll have use for them again!

-
Back