What to expect from a 408 stroker?

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi! I've been searching for a quite some time without finding what I'm searching for so now I ask!

I'm planning on buildning a mild 408 stroker out of a 360 next winter.
It's going to be a daily driver with a quite mild cam, dual plane exhaust, stock 727 stall conv and stock rear for good mpg, but what power can you expect to get out of a 408 with 'round 10:1 compression, pro-ported LA heads with 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust? It's a bit blurry at the moment since I haven't decided what's going in to the engine yet, but you get my point, as I said, it's a daily driver so nothing radical though still well made with high compression and heavily ported heads.

So! What rwhp and toque to expect?

Best regards!:cheers:

First, if you are using a mild cam, and iron heads, you don't want a static compression higher than 9:1. You can go to 9.5:1 but the cam needs to be carefully chosen otherwise it will ping. As I recall, euro gas is about the same as US 90 octane? So if you are going conservative on the cam, go conservative on the compression. I'd be expecting somethign around 430hp and 530pound feet of torque depending.

thanks for the tip! The highest oktane fuel I have nearby is 93 oktane, that's in US measures! And if I stepped up a bit and put in a BIT wilder camshaft, still a steady idle and so on but a tap wilder. How much more? And to this setup, how big a carb would be needed?

Moper he said rwhp...

430 rwhp is alot....
I dont see it happening without being abit more specific with
the build.

build it with as much cr as you can, that will help mpg and torque. you want to shoot for about 190 cranking psi. i'm running 205 psi on 93 but it has a loose converter, ram air, heat crossover blocked, ect.. if you can make a good ram air setup go for it. get some good advice from folks like Hughes, muscle motors, shady dell. ect

Anyone have a good program for calculating exhausts and ram intakes?

Yeah, I've built a couple of 4 cylinder engines before and I usually run around 10:1 compression, but that's with aluminum heads...

How much power do you lose through the 727 and 8.75? 70-80hp?

Here's my build: 408 Stroker , short block built by Hughes Engines

-Forged internals, H-beam rods, 10:1 pistons
-Hughes Engines main stud girdle
-7 qt moroso pan, high volume melling oil pump
-Edelbrock heads, with Hughes Engines stage III porting, 2.05 intake, 1.60exh
-Hyd. roller cam. 576/576 lift int/exh. 256/258 deg. duration
-edelbrock victor 340 manifold, gasket and port matched to heads
-750 Mighty Demon carb
-Hughes Engines 1.6 Aluminum roller rockers
-Gear Drive, w/ custom timing cover and electric water pump
-TTI 1 5/8" - 1 3/4" Headers

Dyno'd @ 532 HP/520 FT. LBS

-750 Mighty Demon carb

Hey Mopardude318,what carb. and headers are you using?Also what,s delivering your fuel?Thanks.oops just noticed headers.

-750 Mighty Demon carb

That will be my next build. Thanks for the specs.

Hello. I have an Aeromotive "Stealth" fuel cell. It has an A1000 fuel pump built inside the cell. With 1/2" fuel lines. I have to use an electric fuel pump because of the custom front timing cover. All this isn't installed in my car though. Engine is on a stand in my room...Beats waking up to a nagging girl friend!
IMG_0021.jpg

Hello. I have an Aeromotive "Stealth" fuel cell. It has an A1000 fuel pump built inside the cell. With 1/2" fuel lines. I have to use an electric fuel pump because of the custom front timing cover. All this isn't installed in my car though. Engine is on a stand in my room...Beats waking up to a nagging girl friend!
IMG_0021.jpg
I,ve never seen those valve covers before?Are they new?I,m also building a 408,just got the RPM heads(for a deal)and am now looking for the bottomend kit.I,d like 10.5 to 1 comp.,the motor looks nice!

That's a nice machine! Have the dyno charts? Just wondering how and where it makes the power =)

Although I for one don't lika bought headers, to inexact. There are a GOOD difference between, well made, for-the-purpose built custom headders with calculated lengths and a calculated exhaust behind that compared to a "universal" system like TTI. Not saying anything though! I will be running stock manifolds for starters, but will surely build my own headers as soon as I get enough money for a new welder!

Hey Northernswede,the manifolds will hurt the performance of a stroked motor,let allown a set of heads that have been P&P.I,d like to get underbody Dougs headers,but have heard that TTI is making 1 7/8 headers for A-bodys?We,ll see!Good Luck with your build.8)

Oh sure! But it's a quite temporary solution as I'm building my own headers as soon as possible, I've built some headers for my 4cyls but I were forced to rebuild the garage a couple of years ago and didn't have room for the welder anymore. And I'm quite suprised to see so few home-made headers on this website, here in Sweden they're I wouldnt say common but at least there seems to be more of them. It's really a huge difference between anything you can buy in a store and some special-made ones. You have to have in consideration, flow, length of the total exhaust, each individual pipe on the headers themselves and so on. I will try to find the program I had to calculate exhausts.

I,ve never seen those valve covers before?Are they new?I,m also building a 408,just got the RPM heads(for a deal)and am now looking for the bottomend kit.I,d like 10.5 to 1 comp.,the motor looks nice!

Those valve covers have been out I think for many years. You can't get them from your average parts warehouse like summit, jegs and the like. I had to get them from my local mopar dealer. They are also in the mopar performance catalog. Mancini Racing also sells them I think. But, in addition to the valve covers, you still have to buy the special studs and mounting hardware, and you have to drill your own breather holes, and purchase the baffle and screw package...Hope this helps...

That's a nice machine! Have the dyno charts? Just wondering how and where it makes the power =)

Right now I do not have the Dyno charts! I was in Iraq when my engine was dyno'd, and the guy never printed them out for me! This was back in February 2008. I'm gonna try to go to his shop in Morgan Hill and see if he has them saved on his computer...

Oh no prob! I was just curious, I do think I've ssen those valvecovers in the mopar-performance catloge.

Anyone know how much power you loose between the engine and tires with a 727 and a 8.75?

What mpg can you expect from a mild 408? Not that it matters, I'd drive it even if it were 3mpg! ;D

Hello. I went to the shop today and he still had the dyno sheet saved on his computer. He did about 10 different pulls, this one shows a peak horsepower of 533 @ 5900 RPM. Peak torque is 513 @ 5100 RPM...

He didn't print me out the one before this one where he made a jet change, and I got 520 FT LBS. Anyways, heres the dyno chart.

dynochart.jpg

-
Back