What to get for 5k

-

MoparMagic1992

Reaction score
Hey guys, come here soon id like to replace my daily driver, a 1993 Dodge intrepid, 3.3 low 20s MPG with 188k miles...i dont foresee it making it to 200, or maybe a wee bit higher, so in preparation of it croaking im starting my new(used) car hunt.

heres my specs (lol)

im 20, dont like bland or average cars, in college to be a welder with one year left until im out. single, dont haul people around very often, usually 1 or 2 max

id like to get something that gets around 20 MPG give or take a few, more is always better though. id like something newer, thinking late 90s or early 2000s would like to get a dodge, but also like subarus..doesnt HAVE to be either though, would like to stay away from compacts, neons interest me but ive heard theyre kinda iffy as far as reliability goes..

..Ive been looking at Dakotas, would be handy to haul light stuff around in the bed, dont know what engine would be best though, have heard the 3.9 is under powered, an R/T would be perfect, but is the gas mileage as horrid as everyone says with the 5.9? staying away from four wheel drive if i have to.

Intrepids are something i like, but know the second gens are problematic, would look for a 3.2 or 3.5..i know to stay away from the 2.7

im just rambling now :D but give me some opinions, and other car ideas! price limit is around 5 grand, could do a little more though

-John

Use your swinger, we use a /6 74 swinger for a dd. At least it's a fun ride.

Thats just my toy, looking for something more modern and safe, The salt in the winters here would also eat it up pretty fast..need something to drive in all likelihood every day fall, winter, and spring, and half the week during the summer. i think a R/T Dakota would be pretty fun, im not use to something with more than 180 horsepower :D

Boy, I hate to say this, but the Subaru Impreza gets like 25 MPG or better and is AWD. Been darn reliable for my daughter and another friend.

I wouldn't mind a 3.5 Concord or Intrepid though for a driver.

my choice of new mopars id get.....stealth first choice than maybe 90's labaron and then something normal like a 90-93 dakota with at least a v6

Stay away from the Dakota V6, they won't get that kind of mileage and the horsepower is pretty weak. My g/f had a V6 2002 Dak for a few years, almost the same gas mileage as the small v8's, just less power...:violent1: Other than the V6 though we both liked that Dakota. My father has a 2002 Dak, 4WD quad cab with a 5.9 in it. Last time I checked it had over 175k miles on it, it's been a great truck for him and has held up really well.

The Subaru's are nice, but at the $5k mark they'll have a lot of miles, they hold their value pretty well.

I just got a 98 Honda crv for $500 with a burnt exhaust valve. All the repairs cost me another $500 in parts. It is all wheel drive and get near 25mpg and has not given me any trouble in close to 20, 000 miles. Has a decent amount of room to haul stuff with the rear seats folded down and comfortable to drive. With what I have seen come into the shop I work at there is nothing from a us auto maker I would buy made in the last 15 years besides a pickup.

I like Stealths A LOT but i know theyre a bear to work on and problematic. Intrepids are great but are a hit and miss, from all ive seen. looking for something around 100k miles, i think ive narrowed it down to a 5.2 5 speed Dakota (if i can find a non beat one) or automatic. R/T still is a possibility too.

What about an older diesel truck. At least 20 mpg and very reliable.

Ive not thought about that much, i dont overly need another full size truck, and i know nothing about them really...i'll look into it more, the price if diesel is whats shooed me away so far, but its not like a gas dakota is anything to write home about MPG wise. i think a non beat first gen cummins ram would be kinda hard to find in my price point?

At the price you want to spend, get you a grandma car and suffer for a few years.

You will get a better car, less miles and probably reliable.

To get something appealing to your age group will be road hard put away wet.

Stay way from older diesel if you don't need it. $4.29 a gallon in my area right now. Probably going higher this week since gas took a big jump. Doubt you could get a decent truck for $5,000 that you would like.

Years ago I was looking to get a car for DD and wanting to spend 5K, looked at cars with over 100,000 miles that were 5-6 years old. Ended up buying an original paint & interior 67 Coronet convertible with AC. But 1st snow fall was looking for another DD ........... LOL

You could get a pretty darn nice Jeep Cherokee for 5K. That 4.0L HO puts out 190 hp and parts are availible everywhere for them.

I got a 91 Pathfinder V6 5 Speed 4 years ago for $1300 and it is still going great. Put about 35K on it. 4wheel drive everything works with ac. I got a dirt bike hitch hauler and I sleep in the back when on camping trips. The best cheap car I have ever bought. Only gets at best 17mpg though.

Calling about this '02 ram 3.7 5 speed with 103k miles tomorrow, fingers crossed.

28244939676332997866IM103565x421_A562x421_zpsa21473c2.jpg

28244939696332997866IM114565x421_A562x421_zps19a39dc1.jpg

Well guys, in a weird twist, was driving through town today and spotted a 98 chevy s10 for sale, i know its pretty average but i stopped and checked it out anyway. Old guys truck, 62,000 miles bare bones with a 4.3 vortec. picked it up for $3400 and it'll be on the road tomorrow. thank you all for your advice and suggestions, i think i made a pretty good deal.
28992_10200831374093309_15367042_n_zps3928b1f4.jpg

-
Back