What to look for, 69 cuda

-
I agree with everyones comments. Make sure the trim is there especially grills, tailpanels and BACKUP Lights!!!

I WAS going to check it out this past weekend, but blowing out my knee prevented that. *MAD*

Rescheduling for this coming Sat.

Even if the floorpans are rusty, they're cheap to replace compared to the grilles. I loaned my 69 grilles to Laysons once so he could use them to copy for repops. He wouldn't give them back. I had to convince one of his employees to send them to me when Dave was out of town.

I sold that car to a guy in Australia for $2500 back in 2004. It was a REALLY straight notchback that had all of the trim, in perfect shape. I should have parted it out, but I couldn't do that to such a nice car.

Notchbacks can also collect water at the lower corners of the rear window. Make sure to check there.

Mopar3.jpg

Just something I noticed,Why is the firewall undercoated?possibly some shabby work behind it?Take a flashlight and lay on your back and look up at the cowl area from both frt floor pan areas.

OK, went and checked out the car yesterday with my friend, who happpens to be a mopar guy. I walked around the car and noticed bondo here and there, rust in the quarters and sill, some rust under the rear window trim, all in all nothing I didn't expect. Trunk was BEAUTIFUL with almost no rust, Motor ran great, the black you saw on the firewall was just a shoddy paint job, no smoke at startup, minor lifter tick etc. Interior needed a bit more work than I thought but not anything I could not handle. Front Pass. grill had a couple cracks but nothing that wasn't easily repairable. ALL the trim was there and in VERY good shape.

However all that was the good. While I was poking around I here my friend say "whoooaaa", that's when I knew this car would not be coming home with me. The drivers side front frame rail from the nose to past the firewall was swiss cheese. The right front frame rail showed signs of already being repaired. Amazingly the floors and EVERYTHING else under there looked gorgeous. Go figure. Sadly I am not even CLOSE to skilled enough to do that repair work, also the fact that in all honestly the car is worth no more than 3 grand cash to me with all that work needing to be done and the gentleman said he would not let it go for less than 5.

:(

The search continues.

You would be surprised how easy the frame rails can be replaced using a donor car. There are plenty of identical structures as late as 76 models still solid as a rock. You may need to drill a hole or two for bumper braces.
You can bet someone will.

Mikeee, after looking at those pics you posted, I'd be very concerned about the floor pans ... the purple-ish discoloration on that carpeting is a clear indication of water (probably from the wiper pivots). When you go to look at it, see if you can take a peek under the carpeting -- it's probably not tacked down underneath the dashboard -- and see how bad that rust is.

Nan, Thats just ACCs crappy black carpet fading to purple. They all do it.

You would be surprised how easy the frame rails can be replaced using a donor car. There are plenty of identical structures as late as 76 models still solid as a rock. You may need to drill a hole or two for bumper braces.
You can bet someone will.

Oh I know, My friend told me that he could do the job in a weekend or two, however I do not have enough space to do it, nor am I willing to drop 6500 on a car with a bad frame. If the car's body/interior was in better shape I would have considered it but with the tranny and oil leaks and multiple other spots of cancer with the potential of major hidden rust damage the car is worth no more than 3 grand to me.

OK, went and checked out the car yesterday with my friend, who happpens to be a mopar guy. I walked around the car and noticed bondo here and there, rust in the quarters and sill, some rust under the rear window trim, all in all nothing I didn't expect. Trunk was BEAUTIFUL with almost no rust, Motor ran great, the black you saw on the firewall was just a shoddy paint job, no smoke at startup, minor lifter tick etc. Interior needed a bit more work than I thought but not anything I could not handle. Front Pass. grill had a couple cracks but nothing that wasn't easily repairable. ALL the trim was there and in VERY good shape.

However all that was the good. While I was poking around I here my friend say "whoooaaa", that's when I knew this car would not be coming home with me. The drivers side front frame rail from the nose to past the firewall was swiss cheese. The right front frame rail showed signs of already being repaired. Amazingly the floors and EVERYTHING else under there looked gorgeous. Go figure. Sadly I am not even CLOSE to skilled enough to do that repair work, also the fact that in all honestly the car is worth no more than 3 grand cash to me with all that work needing to be done and the gentleman said he would not let it go for less than 5.

:(

The search continues.

"A man`s got to know his limitations".......good call.

Mike, even though the car didn't work out for you, at least you learned a lot about what to look for and have a much better idea now of what you want. Hang in there ... your dream car's still out there! It'll just take a little longer to find it.

-
Back