What to price a 1970 Super Bird at my friend is getting in a multi car trade

-

ibfunru

ibfunru
Reaction score
Here is the story, my friend is getting a 1970 Super Bird in on a multi car trade.......It was his high school friends original car back in the day who passed and the son got it in the estate, the son is a Chevy guy so he is trading a couple high end Chevys and some cash for the Super Bird. The Son Left the car in his fathers name to my knowledge keeping it a one owner car, but like I say the father has passed now......this is far too expensive a Mopar for me to wrap my head around, The car was painted once $10,000 about twelve years ago with one of the doors being replaced at that time, it is a 440 which I imagine they all were....I have a picture of the car I can send as well. I wont post my number here though since I am not yet sure of the forum rules. So perhaps Ill read future posts......I believe my friend will have roughly $80,000 in his trades and cash value into the deal......also he wonders should he just make efforts to resell it or send it somewhere for a professional restoration and then take to a big ticket auction house?......Thank you for your time

Let me get this right Your "friends " Getting a super bird and he wants us to price it so he cant flip it ? . I Just cant bring my self to do that .....................................

will give him 1000 dollars site unseen...........

The debate is- should he flip it or restore it.

Tough call. Got pictures?

Yes, he is trading three nice Chevy cars plus cash......but he is also a Chevy guy....funny he called me and asked me what a Super Bird was......I thought every car guy has to have some basic knowledge of some Kings of all cars which the Super Bird falls under !

post some pictures.

Condition is a huge factor there are a lot of unknown variables in this equation. A professional resto is going to be more than 10k to do "proper" maybe in the 30 or more range, but again I cant see it.. It is a Mopar it requires 3 chevy's to own one. =)

An acquaintance of mine bought a beautiful 426 Hemi Superbird last year for around 40 grand.

Another acquaintance bought a dual four 426 wedge powered 64 Plymouth 2 door for less than 20 grand abput seven months ago...

People done strange things in this economy, wouldn't ya think?

is there any paperwork with it? window sticker, fender tag, BC sheet, is the 6-pack in tact? all number matching - eng, trans, body? date coded correct when valuing cars like this - stuff matters.

need many pictures over, under, inside. While it makes me groan to say this Maybe consider having a professional look it over.

So either way he is flipping it?? And he is a chevy guy?? And he is getting it from his deceased "friends" son to flip?? Does the son know he is flipping it?? How old is the son?? Why not help the son??

:banghead:I hope this forum allows comments but here goes....yes sad times all around....I retired from the service and I am now ashamed of my country......I hear my grandparents turn over in their graves and my stomach is sick for worry for my four children......

Excellent comment, Ill get the supportive info from my friend in the morning....guess I better go to bed now...

I do appreciate you time good sirs.....since I am off to bed I'll tell a short story - How I once watched a 1970 Beautiful red duster I owned crash, I was a Navy recruiter in Saginaw Michigan for a time in 1993.....I sold my perfect Duster to a young kid earl that year. As I was driving though a town outside of Saginaw several months later I saw my old duster going down a dirt road. I started to follow the kid in the government van I was in. The kid picked up speed and ran two different dirt roads quickly trying to outrun me ...you see I figured he knows its me and he is having fun since I cannot catch him.....but in the distance he lost it in the dirt and put the car in the ditch with the nose on one side and the rear on the other and the belly of the car in mid air.......when I pulled up I realized he was trying to outrun a van with government plates......I offered him a ride, he declined impolitely as he began to walk down the old dirt road after having told me he had o plates nor insurance.......oops

Ok, here is more info.....Galen Govier has inspected it so you could always buy a report from him.....440 4 rrl, numbers matching except the transmission housing was replaced on a trns rebuild (ahhhhhhh what an idiot)......3 year old motor rebuild documented and 12 year old paint door replaced but have the original still about 900 made....he is sending me pictures today

I remember back in 88 a simple apartment complex in out town had a decent complete 69 Daytona always parked in front of it. That was at the start of the boom. I always hoped that guy was able to hold on to it until the market peaked so he could move out of that crappy apartment and buy a house outright with the money.At least now the housing market has also tanked along with the car market so a superbird will still trade for a house in some markets.

Well, from my own experience dealing with titles and registration. If the title is still in dads name, (dads deceased) it is not a CLEAR title. Meaning the owner on the title at this time is unable to legally sign it over. Have the son take all paper work, like fathers death certificate, to the DMV and get a replacement title for it, IN THE SONS NAME. That will eliminate a lot of hassle for the next owner.

Well, from my own experience dealing with titles and registration. If the title is still in dads name, (dads deceased) it is not a CLEAR title. Meaning the owner on the title at this time is unable to legally sign it over. Have the son take all paper work, like fathers death certificate, to the DMV and get a replacement title for it, IN THE SONS NAME. That will eliminate a lot of hassle for the next owner.

Its not that hard to switch it over when someone dies. My wife inherited a '38 Plymouth Coupe from her late Grandmother, with the original title (hadn't been registered since '56) still in her name. We kept the title because of its age, and filed for lost title. All we did was get a form for the next of kin releasing the vehicle. Pretty simple. I guess maybe not so simple in some other states.

Its not that hard to switch it over when someone dies. My wife inherited a '38 Plymouth Coupe from her late Grandmother, with the original title (hadn't been registered since '56) still in her name. We kept the title because of its age, and filed for lost title. All we did was get a form for the next of kin releasing the vehicle. Pretty simple. I guess maybe not so simple in some other states.

yes but the OP thinks it will still be a one owner car, but infact it needs to be titled in another family members name to have a clear title,

also to the OP tell your friend hes a butt head, stick with the chebby's its people like him that try and make money on old cars that makes the hobby so only the Ellette can own a nice mopar such as cuda challenger or late 60's charger/superbird

The LAST thing somebody spending this much on a car wants to see is a title question. And technically it isn't a one owner or even a two owner car anymore. The day the first owner died it belonged to somebody else and now your buddy owns it so that's 3. Whoever gets it next is 4. I think a clean title is worth more then the difference between a 3 or 4 owner car.

Ok, here is more info.....Galen Govier has inspected it so you could always buy a report from him.....440 4 rrl, numbers matching except the transmission housing was replaced on a trns rebuild (ahhhhhhh what an idiot)......3 year old motor rebuild documented and 12 year old paint door replaced but have the original still about 900 made....he is sending me pictures today
your friend might get burned on the deal if infact he is giving 80k, 10k paint job 12 years ago on a superbird sounds like a cheep quickie job, if its an auto on the colum that will hurt the value also. Someone who is going to be looking for a superbird will know where to pick it apart.

Boy this is tough one! Even ignoring the typical condititon and pption variables Superbird prices have been really up then down the last two years, maybe a little up last six months. I think at any time in the last year a price for a really good car might vary by 30% - can you say risky!

Not sure I would want to trade. Why not just sell all the cars instead of some wacky trade and flip that could go bad?

-
Back