What to use on manifold bolts to prevent seizing?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
What would be the best stuff to use on my exhaust manifold bolts to minimize future problems of seizing up and breaking the studs? Especially the outer ones that go into the water jackets? RTV? Anti-seize lube? silicone?

I found some white "putty" like crap that was still visible on the bolts, but one already broke on trying to remove it. The rest have been bathing in PB Blaster for several days in preparation of removal.

Thanks

Perma-Tex or #M sells a tube of Anti-Seize compound that you apply to the threads before screwing them in.

I don't use anything on them bolts because I don't use factory heads.

Factory type stuff where the water jackets are in some of the threaded holes I would use RTV, I like gray for most everything I do.

Have to seal the ends, but Milk of Magnesia is a great anti-seize on the nuts. Heat boils off water to leave a heat proof magnesium hydroxide powder. Ask any jet mechanic.
can-i-give-my-dog-milk-of-magnesia.jpg

It's an LA, so the outside (end) holes go into the water jacket. Sealer? Anti seize? Yes, factory heads on a 360, with the HP manifolds. I have purchased a new bolt set for the manifolds. I just want to attempt to keep them from seizing again. Thanks for the replies. Milk 'o Magnesia eh? Good to know to use for the nuts. Are you saying 'boil the nuts in milk of magnesia?'

I make sure whatever bolts I use have plenty of thread engagement - std header bolts usually don't. So I'll buy lnger ones or use studs. Then I use a little grey RTV, ot liquid teflon, or antiseize.. .Whatever's handy.

Jet lube 550 anti seize. Good to 2400* F. I work in a industrial setting with high heat and pressure. I have seen this stuff applied to studs and 5 years later they are easy to break apart. A little bit goes a long way.

Do not use RTV in anything with threads. It Gunk's the threads all up.
You can use regular anti seize on the studs. For studs that need to be sealed from water/oil I like Permatex high heat thread sealant.

Attachments

• fam_img_361.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 196
I use "gasket sealant" on the bolt threads. It is a sticky purple fluid that can be cleaned w/ ethanol. It stays flexible. I wouldn't use RTV since I doubt it sticks well to bolts. Teflon tape or a "pipe dope" (any hardware store's plumbing aisle) would be my 2nd choice.

I always put studs on the outer exhaust bolt holes and red locktite them into the head. I use neverseze on the header nuts and have never had an issue.

I bought this at lowes and have used it on numerous engines over the years.

On the last one I built used it on the intake bolts , header bolts and water pump housing to block bolts

It doesn't seem to harden or be affected by the heat from the headers

Attachments

• 31230_comp.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 249
-
Back