What to watch out for

-

ThogtheCaveman

Grand Admiral
Reaction score
Hey guys I am going to look at a 318/904 combo in a '68 barracuda I believe. The guy is selling the combo for 1000 or 800 for just the 318.
Here: "Strong 318, built four years ago, has about 6,000 miles on it, currently in my '68 Cuda. Bored .030 over, Crane cam, a little lope, idles at 800 rpm, 340 "X" heads (2.02 intakes), cleaned-up and bowl ported, new valves, springs and 3-angle valve job. 340 Mopar intake with Holley 650 rebuilt in November, Mopar electronic ignition, double roller timing chain, windage tray. Motor doesn't burn oil, runs at 185 degrees constant, winter or summer. Will also include 904 trans/converter which is working great."
This is off of bigblockdart.com on the 2nd page of for sale. What should I look out for? Anything in particular? Is there anyway to tell if they are "X" heads without taking off the valve covers? Is this a good price or should I try and get it lower? Thanks

Is there anyway to tell if they are "X" heads without taking off the valve covers?
Yes, you can see an "X" cast into the head by the spark plug. He would have to be stupid to try and get passed someone on this.

Is this a good price or should I try and get it lower? Thanks
Allways try for a lower price. But he may not budge.

How will you know if it is any good. Ask for the billings and general guarentee on it. If it is built right, it should last a long time. If you drive it like a normal person, it will last.

Beat on it and even a race engine will die a quick death before it's time.

-
Back