What tools for degreeing cam

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I am going to be degreeing in the new lunati cam soon and want to be sure I have the right tool(s). I have this kit, but have never used it.

Small Block hydraulic flat tappet. Should I get this to along with it? Or get a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod?

I will be degreeing the cam with the heads off.

Thanks!

I am going to be degreeing in the new lunati cam soon and want to be sure I have the right tool(s). I have this kit, but have never used it.

Small Block hydraulic flat tappet. Should I get this to along with it? Or get a solid lifter and an adjustable pushrod?

Thanks!
Get the ProForm , it makes it so much faster.
I got sick of trying to dial the magnetic base angle right with the lifter angle.
I can find out where that lobe closes in no time flat and make any needed adjustments in a snap and recheck... always recheck after adv/retarding the cam timing.

That (Proform) won't work with heads installed, will it?

I don’t know how many times you are going to do this job but this tool Makes the job so much easier. I have one for doing Chevies too.
DC72D0C3-4325-498B-8963-564D0D76F78A.jpeg

I don’t know how many times you are going to do this job but this tool Makes the job so much easier. I have one for doing Chevies too. View attachment 1715894798
I got one from Goodson similar to that. It was a lot cheaper than that, but that was like 20yrs ago, too.
I have a 3in travel dial indicator which can reach in there, easier. I also have multiple mag bases and adjustable attachments to arrange it just so. They also make different replaceable tips for the indicator which can help, also. For a small block mope you'll need a set of offset woodruff keys, if you have to adjust the c/l.

The ProForm does all the things you guys are saying, has a dial indicator already and cost less than the comp

Get the ProForm , it makes it so much faster.
I got sick of trying to dial the magnetic base angle right with the lifter angle.
I can find out where that lobe closes in no time flat and make any needed adjustments in a snap and recheck... always recheck after adv/retarding the cam timing.
Error proof you might even say.

I have always just used a .904 plug gauge, a magnetic base, a dial indicator, with a degree wheel and bent up coat hanger pointer. I use the magnetic base and dial indicator to find TDC before you find #1 intake lobe centerline. Those new indicators that pilot off the lifter bore look sweet.

You are assuming "new build." What if you are changing the cam in a built engine?
It's meant as a building tool, not a do over tool...So to speak lol. Head should be off, we finding TDC when decreeing the cam, right? Ime The further away you get from the lifter the greater the potential of error with a 59 degree lifter angle sb.

It's meant as a building tool, not a do over tool...So to speak lol. Head should be off, we finding TDC when decreeing the cam, right? Ime The further away you get from the lifter the greater the potential of error with a 59 degree lifter angle sb.
No. Sorry. Nice try tho. I don't need to tear it down to a bare block just to change a cam. What is this called? OH I know. "versatile."

No. Sorry. Nice try tho. I don't need to tear it down to a bare block just to change a cam. What is this called? OH I know. "versatile."
You're missing my point or I'm not doing a good job explaining it..
The proform is for when you are building an engine and not for changing a cam in an already assembled engine on a stand, in a car or anytime the head is already bolted on.
There are things you do in sequence to make things easier. I degree as short block with only no.1 rod and piston/rings in, no heads either:eek::D
Turns with ease and I never pass the number.
Now his has heads on it sounds like..so I told him essentially to skip trying to use the proform and stay with his degree kit and make it work.

Last edited:

Thanks!

he says he has the heads off.

Since you will have your Degree wheel on the motor put it at ATDC and check your Balancer. Eazy peazy.....

JW

-
Back