What "TOTAL" timing are YOU running

-

slim17265

Reaction score
I have been advancing this 440 for some time now trying to find out what it likes. I started out with a full tank of 87 octane from last year when I pulled motor I am gradually replacing that with 92 octane. I am running closed chamber heads approx. 9.8-1 mild 222/[email protected] auto w/3.55 axle so far I am up to 7 degrees initial with this Mallory elec distr., since I do not know how much centrifigal is in there I have to be careful. I also understand that the centrifigal is adjustable on the distr. I am also running the 6 pack upswept HP ex manifolds and a six pack setup...car is now running extremely well only smoking the tires for about 15 feet in low, anybody care to give me the settings for your car...thanx :love4:

I've got a 440 in my 65 Dart with mild cam 3.55 rearend gears I am running a stage 2 distributor from FBO systems (No vaccuum advance) and I run it at 20* intial total timing of 35 all in by 2,800 rpm and I run 50/50 93 and 110 fuel. I tried lower the timing to 18* intial and it didn't like it. 7* initial seems very low.

thank you for response, 35 degrees is what I was looking for, since I am still running about half tank of 87 octane I am bringing the initial up slowly. Also you are running 15 degrees centrifigal which with the high octane allows higher initial settings. I suspect if and when I get up to 10 degrees initial starting the engine will become more difficult as the starter motor is already sounding weak.

Are you not able to put a timing light on it and see what your total timing is? Right now I have a full tank of 92 in it and is running just fine, haven't tried 87. My starter doesn't even begin to kick back until 25* initial

-
Back