What tranny is better early or late model

-

mike1965

Reaction score
What 727 transmission is the better one to build or are there no differences between the two .

I have 2 early model's and another in storage that I'm not sure what it is I will go and check on it tomorrow to see if it's early or late

.........if ur talking 727, then 71 up has a wider bushing in the front drum for better support............kim........

.........if ur talking 727, then 71 up has a wider bushing in the front drum for better support............kim........

This is the one that came out of the car >>>> Day 3122 is Friday, February 13, 1970 is it worth building up or should I look for something newer.

The best shifting stock 904 I ever ran across was out of a 71 Demon318. I also like the 904s with the part-throttle downshift feature. I think that came on line in the early 70s; maybe 71?
-As for A833s: I like the 3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00 set-up. it allows you to run one or two sizes smaller rear on the street with a small block. It works great with a 3.23 or 3.55s.
-Or if you have a generous amount of torque down low, the 3.09-1.67-1.00-.71 O/D works nice. This ratio needs a wide powerband. It does not play well with the 292/509 cam.It did ok with a 223* cam. I put a GearVendor behind it, and splitshifted it.Oh and 4.30s out back.With double o/d, Man that baby could cruise. That set-up has 7 useable fairly evenly spaced ratios.With the GV the bigger cam was pretty lively.
-The close ratio works nice for some guys but needs a lower rear gear. ratios are 2.47-1.77-1.39-1.00 IIRC. It works nice with bigger cams, but likes deep gears, like 4.10s or better.
- The 2.66 low box works for everybody else.
-I would highly recommend, for small blocks at least, a 5 speed. If I had it to do over I would go 5 speed.With a low around 3.5 and a deeeep o/d. like .6 to .7
-I just thought Id throw this out there since your post was so ridiculously vague.

.............................66-70 r still good trannys, even the mighty max wedge and Hemi used them............kim.........

The best shifting stock 904 I ever ran across was out of a 71 Demon318. I also like the 904s with the part-throttle downshift feature. I think that came on line in the early 70s; maybe 71?
-As for A833s: I like the 3.09-1.92-1.40-1.00 set-up. it allows you to run one or two sizes smaller rear on the street with a small block. It works great with a 3.23 or 3.55s.
-Or if you have a generous amount of torque down low, the 3.09-1.67-1.00-.71 O/D works nice. This ratio needs a wide powerband. It does not play well with the 292/509 cam.It did ok with a 223* cam. I put a GearVendor behind it, and splitshifted it.Oh and 4.30s out back.With double o/d, Man that baby could cruise. That set-up has 7 useable fairly evenly spaced ratios.With the GV the bigger cam was pretty lively.
-The close ratio works nice for some guys but needs a lower rear gear. ratios are 2.47-1.77-1.39-1.00 IIRC. It works nice with bigger cams, but likes deep gears, like 4.10s or better.
- The 2.66 low box works for everybody else.
-I would highly recommend, for small blocks at least, a 5 speed. If I had it to do over I would go 5 speed.With a low around 3.5 and a deeeep o/d. like .6 to .7
-I just thought Id throw this out there since your post was so ridiculously vague.

Really I am so sorry for being vague but I was talking about the 727 TF and I corrected the first post sorry for the confusion

.............................66-70 r still good trannys, even the mighty max wedge and Hemi used them............kim.........

Kim are the parts interchangeable like the pump front drum and any other parts that they might share that would be worth putting into the early trans to make it better

Mike

If you're staying with an automatic valve body, I prefer the later ones with the part throttle kick down.

Would you change the front pump support to the wider bushing and to do this do you have to change the pump or can I use the same pump

the later 727's also have a soft kickdown piston but you can change it to the early type which also has an extra release spring. my suggestion to you is just use the early one. also some come with only 3 clutches in the kickdown drum so look for one the has 4. you can add a 5th clutch and steel with a special cut pressure plate. also in some the back drum has a plastic spacer ring that needs to be replaced with the steel one. some also have a nylon washer between the input and output shafts so get a copper one. plus the later ones have a clover leaf washer instead of the round one, these should all be the copper type.

-
Back