What transmission fluid???

-

swinger 74

Reaction score
Need to know what transmission fluid to use in my 1974 dodge 904 transmission.:dontknow: I've read you can use type f, dexron iii, atf +4, Dex/merc. But I won't to know for sure what to use. Don't want to screw up the tranny.

Type F is more aggressive, firms up the shifts,like a shift kit. Dextron 2,3,are o k,might be recognized as "Universal ATF" (last time I sold retail auto parts anyway..) Read the small print,on back of the bottle. (Was using Dextron 3,in my current 727) Remember to check trans fluid on the dipstick,with the transmission in neutral,with parking brake on.(Better yet: another person to help, someone has foot on the brake pedal...)
Add/edit: ATF 4 does work,kind of pricey for a basic driver,Jmo..

So dexron 3 is what I should use? Is Dex/merc the same as dexron 3? I'd use atf+4 but it cost to much.

Yes ,Dex/Merc is the same as Dextron 3,nowadays. An added note: If running a non stock,higher stall torque converter: Highly recommend, an transmission cooler setup....

Any one use type 303 I think it is tractor fluid? Saw a post about it a while ago.

OK cool i think I'll go with the Dex/merc. Transmission is stock. I don't know if its ever been rebuilt. I plan to install a trans cooler later

Chrysler and GM used dextron II back in the day, Ford used type F....

ATF-4 is synthetic, way overkill for a 904. F stands for "inFerior" as it cooks at the lowest point. Dex VI is on par with ATF+4 so whatever is cheaper between the 2. Both far exceed the 904's designed fluid in good ways. Dex 1 used Sperm oil! Nice whales.....

Dex 3 or universal. 904 could care little unless its got a lock up, then ATF+4 is recommended.

I've got a 5 gallon bucket of 303 from Tractor Supply for around $25. It will either go in a 904 or my two post lift......

I heard a 904 ran on castor oil. Urban legend.......?
I had an Austin America and the AT ran on motor oil, the same that was in the engine pan. No wonder that car sucked.

DEX-MERC, with the kevlar faced clutches. A&A racing transmissions also said it does a better job of lubricating all the other parts of the trans than type F. Said wont see more than a thou or two difference in ET between the two!

I use Castrol TransMax Dex/Merc in mine.
Pros: it works well, always comes out clean so I assume it's doing a fine job of lubricating and keeping metal off metal. And it's quiet. I have a totally stock 1964 transmission and sometimes you can't even hear it shift. You just know it did when you let off the brake.
Cons: It is "slow." Especially this winter, when it got down to -20. I pushed the Drive button, and theres a good 3 second delay. Once driving it shifted fine, and no complaints in warmer weather

I use Royal Purple ATF It is expensive but I street drive as well as race this heavy car and big motor. When I used Mopar atf
it would turn brownish during the hot summer drives. Royal Purple stays the same as the day it was put in. It takes the heat so well I have been leaving it in 5 years before changing. It really takes the heat ! That's my story and I am sticking to it

-
Back