What type of air filter for a race car.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
I,m just wondering what type of air filter guys are running on their high$$dollar motors.I have a new 408 with Eddy RPMs done and have an 18 inch(round)K&N filter for it.Anybody running anything smaller?type?and how do you feel it,s helping with your performance?This is for my 66 Dart and am thinking on running the dual snorkle scoop.So something that would fit would be nice.Thanks

I put what my friends called a "modified AAR scoop" (4" tall cowl hood) on my E body and then run a 4" tall, 14" diameter K&N. I'd do it again in a New York minute.

I got the 14 in. K&N round filter and the K&N top on the Duster.
It pulls the air in from the scoop just fine. The top is right at the hood
line. So the top is right in the scoop pulling in all that fresh air.
Have run a best of 12.93 with not much tuning.

Scott, I ran a K&N Extreme assembly on my (excuse me) 72 Camaro. I was running a 500hp 383 stroker with hogged Vortec heads. These are good because there are no closed areas(open top,sides bottom), The Cramaro had a glass cowl bit taller then stock. You should look at them. If I had a race motor$$ like yours I would run one again for sure.

66-3000P.jpg

I run a fine screen on top to keep bugs out. reciprocating assembly will give out before rings. then i will redo everything again. theres not much dust at the track.On the street i would run k&n and keep it clean and oiled.I wonder if you could test filter restriction with a vacuumn gauge on the intake

and what's your theory behind that reasoning?

Air flow restriction. No matter how good the filter is there is still a restriction. Not that you couldn't run one if you're happy with the performance of the car but I personally do not. If you have a scoop that's sealed to the carb then a filter is kind of defeating the purpose. There is little dirt at the track so if you aren't driving it on the street there really is no use for it.

I,ll try running with one and without.At our track in the spring,at nighttime the bugs are incredible.We,re not talking a couple,I,m talking hundreds,thousands.The windshield and grill,bumper are plastered just after a couple runs.Sucking in hundreds of bugs can,t be good for a new carb,motor?

I,ll try running with one and without.At our track in the spring,at nighttime the bugs are incredible.We,re not talking a couple,I,m talking hundreds,thousands.The windshield and grill,bumper are plastered just after a couple runs.Sucking in hundreds of bugs can,t be good for a new carb,motor?

Then you'd have to work the bugs out Scott. 8)

If I was spending big $$ on a new high dollar piece like that I would want to protect it. Just for peace of mind. You can always make a run or two without just to compare.

66-3000P.jpg

Did you read my post? Fine screen is the answer.i find the finest sifters I can that are four inch and cut the handles off,check in housewares.

Air flow restriction. No matter how good the filter is there is still a restriction. Not that you couldn't run one if you're happy with the performance of the car but I personally do not. If you have a scoop that's sealed to the carb then a filter is kind of defeating the purpose. There is little dirt at the track so if you aren't driving it on the street there really is no use for it.

For strictly race cars,no filter.Whatever slows you down gets pitched and when your looking to win....

Now a street/strip car needs a filter.

Did you read my post? Fine screen is the answer.i find the finest sifters I can that are four inch and cut the handles off,check in housewares.
Yes Pete I read it.I will afix some fine screen up inside the snorkle scoop.Junebugs suck!

I'd run an air cleaner. The filter reduces turbulence in the venturi of your carburetor which in turn makes it work better. Preferably a K&N. If you can get some fresh air ducting going to it, that's even better.

Additionally, it doesn't take much dust to reduce ring seal by 1%, and that is worth significant horsepower.

This book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884089143/?tag=joeychgo-20

is AWESOME. Has a lot of very good information about air cleaners, carburetors, etc.

Employing the lessons from this book, my car went quicker and faster when I was running heads-up in the NMRA. I highly recommend it.

Steve

-
Back