What type of fluid are you using?

-

Aces

Reaction score
So its come time to change the fluid in my trans, I didn't put the last fluid in but its my time now and I was wondering what type you guys were using.
Also how much fluid to put in since we're also changing the filter.

Thanks

It really doesn't matter ( really, it doesn't)
Dexron II, III or TypeF would be standard fluids with TypeF being a little firmer shifting.
You could run filtered French fry oil in it and probably never notice any difference.
That's about how much it doesn't matter. (but I'm sure there will be at least 3 pages of opinions and at least one argument over it.)

Of course then there are the specialty fluids like Royal purple (cost a lot more and do the same job and you wouldn't notice a difference with it either)

Just use cheap Autozone brand TypeF and use your money for things that do make a difference.

I honestly never would of guess this! Thanks! :D

well, with people like trailbeast telling you to run French fry oil I figured I would be helpful

and at the risk of going overboard with my helpfulness, I think a bone dry TF takes 9 quarts of canola oil

use the dextron IV. A friend of mine does transmission work for a living and swears by it in the mopar transmissions, especially the 500 and 518 with the overdrive. I guess it can take more heat that the type III. He told me never to put Type F in anything.

So its come time to change the fluid in my trans, I didn't put the last fluid in but its my time now and I was wondering what type you guys were using.
Also how much fluid to put in since we're also changing the filter.

Thanks

Are you running an older technology, loose converter? Transbrake? Those need specialty fluids & coolers. You never said what you had, that is why I posted this. Otherwise, follow above.

I use type f myself

my trans. man is one of my best friends, and use to be my partner on the old hemi-car. he always used type f , and advised me to do also on this one!----bob

I've been using type F in my transmission for years have never had a problem(then again the gentleman that builds my transmissions KNOWS what he's doing):D:D:D

I was always told type F only for Fords. Learn somethin new here everyday.

That's why I said what I did about the filtered fench fry oil.
Most rans shops use bulk fluid to fill everything that comes in unless the customer specifies differently and supplies it.

ALL fluids will work almost exactly the same in every auto trans.
There are a couple of caveates, but for the most part trans fluid is trans fluid.
It is only viscosity and lubrication that matters to a transmission, and they are ALL capable of doing both.

Type f contains more anti foaming additive than dextronIII.type f higher viscosity thicker fluid.type f has more industrial detergent content.you may think it all looks and smells the same but its not.dextron cost much less to mfg.and doesn't go through the same lab test.a co worker peed in the sample cup filled it with dextron and it still passed the labs spectrometer and tritation test.i wouldn't use it I've seen it foam so bad the beakers had to be sonicated just to make enough liquid to test it.then it sits in mix tank for a week so I can be bottled

By the way napa,valvoline,havoline,car quest and sem is all the same.juice all comes from the same 3800 gallon batch mix and it's ran into quart bottles for about 20 hours

Type f contains more anti foaming additive than dextronIII.type f higher viscosity thicker fluid.type f has more industrial detergent content.you may think it all looks and smells the same but its not.dextron cost much less to mfg.and doesn't go through the same lab test.a co worker peed in the sample cup filled it with dextron and it still passed the labs spectrometer and tritation test.i wouldn't use it I've seen it foam so bad the beakers had to be sonicated just to make enough liquid to test it.then it sits in mix tank for a week so I can be bottled

And yet type F transmissions still blow up, and from all the same problems as Dexron type transmissions blow up from, and even one fluid being highly contaminated makes no real difference :D

Kinda my point there.

Dex3 in everything I build. Works just fine for me. TypeF is good too. I just never tried it, because the Dex3 worked for me for the last 15 years.

It seems that most of you guys use Type-F I always thought it was for Ford but ill use it.
How much should I use/buy quart wise?

-
Back