What was your best year?

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
A lot of us will not remember 2012 as a good year and there is little indication that 2013 will be any better. So let's reminisce about something positive.

My most favorable year was hands down 1980. That year I married my wife (still have her today!), got promoted to Sergeant in the U.S. Army, bought my first brand new car - a Plymouth Horizon TC3 (ok maybe hat wasn't so smart in retrospect), the U.S. Olympic Hockey team pulled off the "Miracle on Ice" and Ronald Reagan won the presidential election.

I realize that year may not have been a good year for others but what was your best year?

Well this year was incredible as far as putting two mopars into the stable. Had been lusting after a B body for years. This past spring I got my GTX clone. Good thing it didn't need any work cause i got laid off right after i got it. Gave me lots of time to really enjoy it, went to shows and cruises almost every day. Gas was the only issue with a built 440 and 4.10's. So other than being unemployed I had the summer of my life and if i were to be on my death bed I'd look back on it as one of the best summers of my life. Then this fall we got a swinger for a dd. How can that not bring a smile to your face? But still being out of work the future is looking pretty bleak and all our gov't is doing is making things worse.

Without a dout, 1974, Had more money than I knew what to do with, single , great job making stupid money. Met my later to be wife. Times were good!

Probably '88. Was making great money for the time and had about zero responsibilty. All I did was work on and ride motorcycles... I felt very free. '79 was a great year too, just coming of age and everything was very new and exciting.

my vote is any year that i spend with my wife and kids, even if it is a good year or bad year

quit livin' in past people. your either doing better or worse and most of it's on you, not the government or anyone else. if what your doing isn't making you happy then kick yourself in the *** and fix it.
i had a great year, better than last and the next one will be better still... and it's not because crap didn't happen, it's because i dealt with it and fixed it.

how ever you measure it, here's hoping everyone has their best year ever :burnout:

If I really had to chose it would be a toss up between 68,and 69. They where two of the best years I don't remember much of.

It wasn't any one year for me. The decade of the 90s beginning in 1991 was good for my family and me. I started working for Delta Airlines that year and after making the jump to mechanic from junior mechanic, life was good. We moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth area from south Texas and have had very few regrets.

It as a good move because my wife and I struggled just to exist throughout the 1980s when we still live in south Texas. Whatever prosperity there was during that decade never reached that part of the country. When the oil and gas industry collapsed in 1982, we lost everything but one vehicle and the clothes we were wearing. We had to move in with my wife's parents for a while and I was determined that it would never happen again, which was prompted me to enroll in A&P school in 1990.

Delta closed the DFW hangar in 2005 and we decided not to take a transfer to Atlanta. I bounced around for a while, but started working for Southwest last year.

quit livin' in past people. your either doing better or worse and most of it's on you, not the government or anyone else. if what your doing isn't making you happy then kick yourself in the *** and fix it.
i had a great year, better than last and the next one will be better still... and it's not because crap didn't happen, it's because i dealt with it and fixed it.

how ever you measure it, here's hoping everyone has their best year ever :burnout:
While it's true your windshield is bigger than your rear view mirror for a reason, there's nothing wrong with reminiscing about the past. At my age, I have more past than future, in this world at least.

While it's true your windshield is bigger than your rear view mirror for a reason, there's nothing wrong with reminiscing about the past. At my age, I have more past than future, in this world at least.
me too more than likely, and i'm happy swapping stories of past exploits and stupid things i got away with, but it's a far cry from saying "the good ol' day" were in the past :toothy8:

me too more than likely, and i'm happy swapping stories of past exploits and stupid things i got away with, but it's a far cry from saying "the good ol' day" were in the past :toothy8:

I like your outlook. I've seen some people who aren't happy with current economy, politics, society, etc.. become more and more reclusive since things aren't going the way they want them to. My father-in-law for example, has spent the last 20 years lying in a bed in the spare room watching TV 24/7/365. He tells the same stories about "the good ol days" over and over and over and even those aren't really interesting or insightful.

People tend to look at their past with rose-colored glasses because they forgot all of the day-to-day BS they were experiencing.

2012 Was a great year for us. Can't wait to experience 2013!

1971 ..got out of High school
1979 got out of air force
1986 got divorce
2008 retired from nevada dot

Hard to fix death in the family and loss of friends to cancer, accidents, etc. Those years I posted, most of family and friends were still alive. I didn't see anyone blame the govt or ***** about their present life either. I'm living the dream right now, new girlfriend, new house, good job but the years I posted were standouts for me. I use those memories to get me through the bad times and they give me strength.

have had a lot of great years. can't call one the best though they were all great for different reasons..

1986 got my drivers license. that summer was awesome. had my own car and now freedom..

1987 i graduated hs.

1988 got my first real job making decent money. ( a lot more then my friends at the time) also bought my first new vehicle.

1995 my son was born.

late 90's had a ton of fun with my boy and my friends. roller hockey, soft ball, bar hopping just never slowed down.

early 2000's met jamie.

2008 my daughter was born. (man was a boy a lot easier..lol)

last couple of years. got a new supervisor at work which has made the job a lot easier and more laid back while still getting the same work done... we have been doing a lot of traveling, trying to see the country some. still a lot to see.

i'm sure there is a lot more that i just can't think of right now..

I loved those summers when I was a kid-I was just doing some basement cleanup- found 4 gas receipts from within a one week period- man my '66 'stang got some major miles from me:D

it was a great time.. $5 of gas would almost fill my 22 gal tank in my big old pontiac..lol

trips down the shore for pizza and to ride the go karts.. drag racing at the abandoned air strip, hell we would just drive around to just drive... traffic was no where near what it is now in the area...

what a fun time that was...

img076.jpg

img078.jpg

Hard to fix death in the family and loss of friends to cancer, accidents, etc...
sorry for your losses.
my wife's uncle passed this year after a long cancer. things do get rough.
i didn't mean everything can literally be fixed, but that some people's attitude or manner of dealing with things needs to be "fixed" if their going to move their life forward.

it was a great time.. $5 of gas would almost fill my 22 gal tank in my big old pontiac..lol
ahhh, the days of cheep gas and smoky burnouts :glasses7:

I'm hopin my best year hasn't been here yet, but at 64, that may be a stretch!!

I've had some great years in the past. Some come to mind such as 1969, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1981 and others. But some haven't been so great. 2012 was maybe one of the worst.
So I'm looking ahead to 2013 with a new outlook on life, a new plan, and hopefully it will be a very good year.

Wishing y'all a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!

I like your attitude. Some of us can't help it we are not in the best financial shape, I mean we worked, saved-maybe invested and people like Maddoff and greedy bankers go running the companies bankrupted and cutting wages. BUT life isn't all about money. I had a pretty good year last year, I didn't have as much cash to spend so I cut corners were I could. 2013 will hopefully be another good year-can wait till spring comes around. I just hope gas prices don't go crazily high.

Interesting. I never equated the amount of money I made to any degree of happiness. I made more money in 2012 than any year in my life. Yet it was the most miserable yet I've ever had. My daughter dropped out of college with $70K of debt and moved back home. My son blew a $50K job offer by failing his drug test in March. He's still unemployed and living with us again. My step mom had a serious stroke and is now mostly incapacitated. My wife was diagnosed with cancer and had a large tumor removed. And on my 55th birthday two weeks ago, I learned that I have a heart defect and will require open-heart surgery within the next year.

Sure, I'm dealing with all of it and not letting it get me down. I have much to be grateful for and realize some have been through much worse. But forgive me if I choose not to think of 2012 as the kind of year I care to repeat.

Here's to hoping we all have a better year in 2013.

-
Back