What were they thinking?

-
Yes that is the back of a Audi engine. I just grabbed a picture off of the internet but I have worked on them. It's one hell of a project that's for sure.

all those chain guides/tensioners! I can't believe that stuff would last very long, unless they have some special technology nobody else has. It is very common for those plastic guides to crack, chip, break, and/or wear out on the simple 2.7, 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 mopar engines.

Yea, and others look at it and pee their pants!!!:rofl:

I don't do either. I do think it's an over thought piece of **** though. Where will a vehicle with an engine like that be in 20 years? Scrapped out, because no one will spend over a grand to replace the timing set.

Last edited:
My brother in law bought a used Audi sedan a year ago. He fell over when he took it in for the simplest of repairs. He sold it 6 mo. later.

My brother in law bought a used Audi sedan a year ago. He fell over when he took it in for the simplest of repairs. He sold it 6 mo. later.
my brother-in-law bought a used 7 series BMW. It had to go in the shop every year for something or other, and every time it was at LEAST $2k. He eventually cried "uncle", and got rid of it. He doesn't miss it one little bit.

That motor looked like a BMW, but Audi? Same Rube Goldburg chain maze. And you thought the 427 SOHC had a chain...?
Wiki_66_SOHC_timing_chain_and_cam_copy.jpg

Try doing a clutch on a Porsche 944. It is a 3-4 day job.

My friend has a 944 turbo with a failing clutch. He has a pile of parts to replace "while it's apart". He has had the parts for a couple years now but pulling the rear suspension, transaxle, exhaust, torque tube, etc to get to the clutch is putting a damper on things.

I sold a Porsche 968 about a month ago. Those cars all suck to work on.
Gkfjfjd.jpg

He He He, I worked at an AMC dealership and had to put a clutch in a R5 Renault. I saw the writing on the wall and quit. Went to work at a Chrysler/Plymouth dealership and the bastards followed me! I can't win :( LOL

Last edited:
The philosophy on cars is different in Europe, as is their philosophy on WHO should own a car. There is less general thinking that everyone should be able to own a car, like Henry Ford promoted here. So if it is hard to repair, that is not a problem, since only the rich should have the ritzy brand cars. I can remember talking to to owners there (or from there) in the 70's and they expected to rebuild and engine after 60k miles.

Try doing a clutch on a Porsche 944. It is a 3-4 day job.
Sounds like me Celica AllTrac..... took me 20 hours.... same as the book number.

The philosophy on cars is different in Europe, as is their philosophy on WHO should own a car. There is less general thinking that everyone should be able to own a car, like Henry Ford promoted here. So if it is hard to repair, that is not a problem, since only the rich should have the ritzy brand cars. I can remember talking to to owners there (or from there) in the 70's and they expected to rebuild and engine after 60k miles.

Sounds like me Celica AllTrac..... took me 20 hours.... same as the book number.

Dont know about that in in the 70´s
Volvo up to and including the 700Series cars where very easy to work on and up to the 200Series cars they where at a level where a blind monkey could have rebuilt them and those where built into the 90´s. The 240model is the swedish equilevant to a 6cylinder Valiant or dart when it comes to simplicity and reliability.
Mercedes up until the W201 better known as the 190E and a bunch of models after those was incredibly relaible but also horribly overengineered for no realy good reason,but still very relaiable. Quite funny actualy i used to work with a very inteligent older man and one lunchbreak he told me about how he back in the day had had a 6cylinder mopar engine and a mercedes 6 cylinder from the same era at the same time and how he was astounded by the difference in how much work the mercedes engineers had put into that engine and in the end it didnt make any more power,used about the same amount of fuel,was about as reliable but most certainly 10times as expensive to build and rebuild.
Italian sportscars on the other hand,those are absolutly terrible.
And that brittish guy who invented darknes also designed there backwards electrical systems in cars.

And that brittish guy who invented darknes also designed there backwards electrical systems in cars
LOL!! Oh my god that is so true. I cut my teeth on those things. Talk about overrated!

Last edited:
-
Back