What wieght oil do you use?

-
I use 10W-40 Castrol GTX in ny 340 and also add Lucas oil additive. My car is only driven to shows and cruises and I stay off Interstates and use 2 lane black tops to avoid high unnessary rpm's and also to enjoy the country side, so that would probably seem odd to ya all but with the 4:10's in a pretty much stock motor Im trying to avoid high maintenance.

BTW Adam most diesel spec oil is 15W-40. It's ok for a gas engine but there is better. Diesel oil has additives to handle the soot that gasoline oil doesn't. Also gasoline oil needs some stuff to handle the unburned hydrocarbons that diesel oil doesn't.

Just like air cooled motorcycle oil and aviation oil, they all have their place and there's a reason they make all those different kinds of oil. Oil, in this case is not just oil.

Adam; I have to agree with guitar jones oil just isn't oil. We had a guy at work put jet engine oil in his car and the motor lasted 1 week and pooey. Choose carefully..Don..

I also use Mobil-1 10-30W in my dart with the lucas fully synthetic additive and love it

Interesting, Can y'all tell me about the "Lucas" additive. Don't know and it kinda makes me feel like I'm neglecting my 360.

i use 20-50 castrol or 50w valvoline (when temps get around 100) with no additives just change it every month or sooner

well in my 67 dart i have no clue. what ever was in there when i got it. the 68 its 20w50 castrol, the 71 its 10w40 castrol, the 72 its 20w50 valvoline (8 yrs old), the 77 PW is gonna get 10w30 mobil 1 once the engine is rebuilt, the 87 cherokee is runnin 15w50 mobil 1 synthetic with a quart of Lucas (233,000 miles), the 90 cherokee i have no clue like the 67, and my 95 ram V10 i am runnin 10w30 Mobil 1 full syntheticwith a bottle of Lucas (135,000 miles).

For some unknown reason even my machinest couldn't figure it out, I only had 5-10 psi oil pressure using 10w-30 valvoline ( courtesy of the dealership I work for) Change the gage and then it showed 10 psi fully hot. I used regular Mobil 10W-30 and it went to 15 psi. Then I tried mobil synthetic 10W-30 and then my intake start leaking oil. I just put in Extended Performance 15W-40 by Mobil, now I have 25 psi full hot. I've got about 8,000 miles on this motor. And about 250 1/4 mile passes and plenty of high rev highway driving. No problems. It's a 97 360 Magnum in my 63 Valiant. All I know is the synthetic does not break down by excess fuel like conventional oil does. When I was racing every weekend and driving it during the week I used to change it every other weekend. Now I go all summer long and still looks clean! Even this winter when I would start it up to move it around the garage until I fowled the plugs. That's my 2 cents worth

I went with 10w30 Amsoil. A friend is a reseller and I got a great price on a case. Then car is loving it... no little pngs of wierd noices... just a nice rumble. Thanks for all the imput guys :thumbup:

I run castrol 25-50 in the Demon...Till next change then itll be 50W val. racing, Mustang No idea till the next change in the next few days and itll have val. 50W too. Ramcharger has quaker state 10-40 4X4 and SUV Heavy duty senthedic........Nova I have no Idea It might not have any in it lol.......

Run 10w-30 Mobile 1 in the V-10. Run 20w-50 Castrol conventional in the race car. When I switch the race car over to synthetic(after 50 runs on fresh motor) i will use 10-30 Mobile 1. I was using Syntec until i learned that it wasn't a true synthetic.

i have always used unocal76 20W-50 oil dont know if tis the beast with my high oilpreasure but it has to withstand brutalunderhood temperatures during long summernightcruisíng!

I have been a big fan of Mobil 1 the past 20 years (a number of 250,000+ mile engines including 4cyl turbos using mobil 1). The Barracuda still has the hot-rod slant 6 in it and it gets 15W-50 (the new 360 will likely run 10W-30), my Dakota gets 5w-30 in the winter and 10w-30 in the summer and the PT Cruiser gets 10W-30.

Duster71 said:
Interesting, Can y'all tell me about the "Lucas" additive. Don't know and it kinda makes me feel like I'm neglecting my 360.

I used Castrol GTX 20W50 in the Camaro I had and the Dart when I first got it. After I got the new engine I switched to SAE 30 GTX. The Lucas is just an oil stabilizer that helps the oil lubricate more, and its only like 9.99 at CSK. Right now its on sale at least here in Cali for 6.97, and we sell out of it almost every week wether its on sale or not. Their fuel cleaner also sells just as fast, and a lot of people swear by this stuff. I have yet to use it though.

20w/50 Castrol gtx in everthang except my ole Cummin's, and it git's the Rotella T-40 treatment....

I had a discussion with a factory rep once about oil and the factory recomendations(oil listed in the handbook)...He told me that the book wuz written for a northern climate, and didn't take into consideration that sum ov us lived in the swamps, and deserts...So, the 10w/30 can stay up north, kuz we do tha 20w50 thang here in the swamp...He also recomended synthetik, but me bein old and hard headed, it juss stays cleen way to long for me...My way ov thank'in is when ya oil git's dirty, it's cleen'in yo mota...when it stays cleen....well, U know.......If ya ever tore down a motor that used quaker state, U'll know exzakkly what I meen!!!!...REX

Thanks Bad.... sounds like a lot of people believe in it.

-
Back