What will fit / work?

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
I've been kicking this around for while, It has probably been asked before, but here it goes again...I've got a 1965 Barracuda, that I want to "street rod." I've got a low mileage 273 that I've been accumulating stuff for, (heads, hi-po pistons, intake manifold, rockers and grooved shafts, etc.) however, the closer I get to starting the build, I think about a 318 or 340. My question is what year and model 318 or 340 (maybe 360) will fit my car without major modification? BTW, I also have a 8.75, with a Richmond Locker (4:56) and a A833 going in it.
Thanks
Norm

If the 273 fits, any other LA Mopar will as well, with the same issues, as the 273. 318, 340, 360.

We put a 318 in Jake's 65 when we built the car and have since moved up to a 360/408.... was a 273 car originally. No fitment issue .

Oh Boy...here we go!
Pretty straight forward issue IMO. The only thing I can see is the original 273 exhaust manifold. If does not flow well, but will still fit any LA engine and work. Efficient? not too much, but will fit/work.

You will need new motor mounts for a 340 & 360.
You are right about that...I should of been a little more specific about my question. I've mainly dealt with early 273's and 318s...There are quite a lot of LA engines here to be had locally. My main concern was encountering problems (mount location etc.) in the application of the "newer engines" (80s and 90s) in a 65 chassis.
Norm

Last edited:
Magnum manifolds will fit with a little nip and tuck work....

And for what it's worth, our 318 block was a 1983 and the 360 we stroked is a 73. We used the original 273 thin mounts. There was 1 bolt hole issue we worked out.

Now fitting the 727 in the tunnel was another story....

You are right about that...I should of been a little more specific about my question. I've mainly dealt with 273's and 318s...There are quite a lot of LA engines here to be had locally. My main concern was encountering problems (mount location etc.) in the application of the "newer engines" (80s and 90s) in a 65 chassis.
Norm
Hey Norm! Again, Any LA will swap right over with zero fitment issues. The only issues would be;

The use of a Magnum engine and “The Truck Oil Pan.” So dump the truck oil pan for a passenger car pan.

Engine mounts for the 340 & 360 are slightly different on the drivers side only.

The 360 is externally balanced and that is solved with a B&M flexplate. Then you can use any neutral balanced converter which is cheaper.

Thats it! Enjoy!

If it gets to 45*’s here, I’m busting out the keys to the tool box and getting greeezzzzyyyy!!!!!

You will actually have to use the original 273 motor mounts and modify them for the 340/360. Not a problem as it's just a small weld job.

You will also have to address the timing cover/water pump issue and use the earlier cast iron water pump and pulley setup if you're using an original V8 radiator.

And, pertaining to the car, if it's a slant 6 car, you will need the V8 cable style gas pedal assembly, the 273 oil pan, and a V8 centerlink! And of course, the aforementioned exhaust issue! All easily overcome with parts and knowledge from your friends at FABO. Welcome to the wonderful world of early A bodies!!

One option would be buy a junkyard magnum 5.9 (360), use the 273 chain cover, waterpump etc, and invest in a set of EQ 318B heads. These are Magnum heads that are drilled for LA (340) intake manifolds, etc. You will need to put bronze guides in the new heads most likely, but for about a grand you can throw together a decent set of new heads, get the stock rollercam reground, and buy a cam extender ($40?) and eccentric to run a stock fuel pump. If you put decent exhaust on it, it ought to make 350 hp? Maybe more.

I've been kicking this around for while, It has probably been asked before, but here it goes again...I've got a 1965 Barracuda, that I want to "street rod." I've got a low mileage 273 that I've been accumulating stuff for, (heads, hi-po pistons, intake manifold, rockers and grooved shafts, etc.) however, the closer I get to starting the build, I think about a 318 or 340. My question is what year and model 318 or 340 (maybe 360) will fit my car without major modification? BTW, I also have a 8.75, with a Richmond Locker (4:56) and a A833 going in it.
Thanks
Norm

What are your plans for the 273 stuff? I might be interested.

David

-
Back