What would 7.562 ball and ball pushrods be from?

-

xLURKxDOGx

"An angel fat, at satan's feast"
Reaction score
I have a set that measures 7.562 and figured it has to be from hydraulic lifter small block but also have a set of "KNOWN" set of hydraulic pushrods that are 7.468. Is the difference for more preload, and if so what would be the correct ones for a 68 273 with hydraulic lifters???

Thanks,

Jake

7.51 std length hydraulic. late 273 with hydraulic lifters, 318, 340, 360
6.78 pre magnum roller
6.925 roller magnum (92 up)
7.23 hyd. lifter with adjustable rockers
7.34 solid lifter (273)

lifted from the 'other' site

The way aftermarket companies measure pushrods is odd, some measure over all length, some measure the length minus the radius of the ball at the cup end. so if you see a ball and cup that gets 2-3 differenr measurements in the catalog from different manufacturers that usually it.

I wonder if that length would be for flat tappet hydraulic lifters using magnum heads?

7.51 std length hydraulic. late 273 with hydraulic lifters, 318, 340, 360
6.78 pre magnum roller
6.925 roller magnum (92 up)
7.23 hyd. lifter with adjustable rockers
7.34 solid lifter (273)

lifted from the 'other' site

The way aftermarket companies measure pushrods is odd, some measure over all length, some measure the length minus the radius of the ball at the cup end. so if you see a ball and cup that gets 2-3 differenr measurements in the catalog from different manufacturers that usually it.

I know what 7.62 x54R ball is for.... :)

I wonder if that length would be for flat tappet hydraulic lifters using magnum heads?

^^^^ This according to the Hot Rod 318 build with magnum heads.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/mopp-0409-318-engine-build/

Thanks guys!!!!!

the pushrods used by steve d in the hot rod 318 with a hydraulic flat lifter was 7.650"

I saw that It's only a 1/32 more than the ones i have. What would be the trouble i would run into if i used this set on a hydraulic flat tappet, to much preload??

Jake

1/32 is .03x preload, guys are talking .06x preload or 1/16 inch so a little longer would only get you a little more preload but that is taking a stock base circle cam into consideration. Why F with 19 different custom pushrod sizes when you can get 273 adjustables for $150 here all day and dial it in with a wrench? Are you running a magnum head? We can add that measurement into the database now, hydro rockers with a magnum head.

1/32 is .03x preload, guys are talking .06x preload or 1/16 inch so a little longer would only get you a little more preload but that is taking a stock base circle cam into consideration. Why F with 19 different custom pushrod sizes when you can get 273 adjustables for $150 here all day and dial it in with a wrench? Are you running a magnum head? We can add that measurement into the database now, hydro rockers with a magnum head.

No magnum head, just stock closed chamber 273 heads. I actually had a set of 273 i used with a hydraulic lifter cam on there and had an issue with custom pushrods i had ordered from Smith brothers. I measured with a pushrod checker but think i gave the wrong overall length that lead to them hitting the stock heads with the correct preload and making a tapping noise at all rmps. I tried a bunch of stock lengths pushrods for adjustable with hydraulic and nothing worked. I just put a set of stamped rockers on there with the pushrods that were in there(318) but ran into a set that was laying around i got from the junkyard over the last year and cant remember what they might have been from.

Jake

if U are running hydraulic flat lifters with non adjustable rockers and a cam with a standard base circle-use a standard pushrod=7.500"-7.510" . if the heads or block have been cut a lot go shorter. what tool are we useing to measure pushrod length

if U are running hydraulic flat lifters with non adjustable rockers and a cam with a standard base circle-use a standard pushrod=7.500"-7.510" . if the heads or block have been cut a lot go shorter. what tool are we useing to measure pushrod length

Thanks! I just put them on there for the hell of it, seems to run a bit better but havent taken it around the block yet to verify.

Jake

-
Back