What would YOU do with a slant six?

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Excluding all SB nd BB's for now...what would you do with a 225 cid stock non super six engine.

As for my situation...I can't sleep anymore...haha all this thinking and planning ahead is killing me.

I've never rebuilt an engine but do have people that can help, what I need is help in making a plan for my slant six.

Im not using it for dragstip, just an everyday driver, not too bad on gasmileage, and that can be faster than some imports over here that are getting on my nerves.

Ive done much thinking and not sure what I want, so can you all help me??? lol Ive thought of turboing it, of the hyper pack sold by clifford. Or if I want to get more performance out of making it a super six should I just buy used manifold, intakes, carb and exhaust or should i go for the new parts that i saw on cliffordsperforamce.

what would you do to my engine if it was yours IN WORDS I CAN UNDERSTAND :lol:

Giving me a few name brands would be hella helpfull too!

THANKS! :tool:

what would you do to my engine if it was yours IN WORDS I CAN UNDERSTAND
Besides donate it. LOL. OK seriously, a Clifford set up is really nice. I would mill the head for compression.
Slant six engines are not know for a combo of high mileage and high performance just like anything else. A turbo set up....there out there.
Clifford hyper and a 390 cfm with headers and a cam to comploment the axle ratio and cars weight.

Did you get the battery problem fixed?
what did it end up being?

I have been wrestling with the same question and even considered making the small block swap. I have finally decided though to stick with the slant.

My plans include the super six setup with the 2bbl carb along with a mopar perf cam (or something similiar) to give it a little more umph! I have not planned for any milling on the head or block yet, but that can always change. I also plan to have a nice open breathing exhaust with (I believe) 2.25" pipe and nice rumbly aftermarket muffler.
New gears in the rear will also be something I look into to give me a nice combination of pep and highway cruising comfort.

I will be looking to have something I could drive daily and have fun with. No strip action for me.

I am still in the planning phase of my project so I don't have any more detailed info for you, but there is plenty on this forum. You may want to check into slantsix.org also for more info.

rumblefish360 said:
Besides donate it. LOL. OK seriously, a Clifford set up is really nice. I would mill the head for compression.
Slant six engines are not know for a combo of high mileage and high performance just like anything else. A turbo set up....there out there.
Clifford hyper and a 390 cfm with headers and a cam to comploment the axle ratio and cars weight.

Ahhhmmmmm the donation plan sounds good to me!!!! LOL
but then i would be engineless. haha what good is that :lol:

Ive read about the turbos but i havnt found something too detailed as to specifiacaly the parts i need and ways to do it.

Nd i think it looks a lil ugly but with lil imagination i think i could do something good.

i really like the hyper stuff for it. Ive seen a picture somewhere where the air cleaner came out on the drviers part of the hood. pretty unique looking.

still dont know what to do wth. lol

memike.1 said:
Did you get the battery problem fixed?
what did it end up being?

HHEHE well that problam got boring so i decided to tackle another one :lol:

j/k well today in the morning it started pretty good.

with a lil struggle but that's because the (not sure the name) but the needle on the carb where fuel goes in was replaced by a motorcycle's needle haha!

the previous owner wanted less gas mileage, the bad thing about it i have to warm up the car for 10-15 min lloll

(i need to have a clear plan and thuoght for what to do with the slant.)

that way i'll know which parts to buy for my car and not just throw in parts like crazy.

any ideas? what would you install and what spec ud want on it to make it a lil fast car. thanks

JeffT72 said:
I have been wrestling with the same question and even considered making the small block swap. I have finally decided though to stick with the slant.

My plans include the super six setup with the 2bbl carb along with a mopar perf cam (or something similiar) to give it a little more umph! I have not planned for any milling on the head or block yet, but that can always change. I also plan to have a nice open breathing exhaust with (I believe) 2.25" pipe and nice rumbly aftermarket muffler.
New gears in the rear will also be something I look into to give me a nice combination of pep and highway cruising comfort.

I will be looking to have something I could drive daily and have fun with. No strip action for me.

I am still in the planning phase of my project so I don't have any more detailed info for you, but there is plenty on this forum. You may want to check into slantsix.org also for more info.

sounds pretty fair!

i thought of that too, just rebuild the whole thing, nd try to bring performace doing the super six and making everything look pretty lol

but im not sure how much power is in a super six. not sure if its enough to go against some of the wanabe import racers.

i would really like a small block but not on my car. i would want something im attracted to most. like a 69/69 swinger 340 :)

My girlfriends 72 scamp has a 225 with an offy 4bbl, eddy 500 cfm carb, a set of clifford headders, Im going to have the head milled and install a small cam. It is going to be her daily driver to and from work and where ever else she wants to go.

360scamp said:
My girlfriends 72 scamp has a 225 with an offy 4bbl, eddy 500 cfm carb, a set of clifford headders, Im going to have the head milled and install a small cam. It is going to be her daily driver to and from work and where ever else she wants to go.

Sweeet, sounds pretty cool. Im going to try my best to have something like thins going on....

IM guessin its fuel injected with intercooled and i dont know what else.

What would I need to do something like this?

100_3829.jpg

Okay, im not too convinced with turboing a slant. seems too durty and i personally believe for some reason that it damages the classic muscle image lol dont know why it just does, or im just crazy. :toothy7:

a Hyper Pack for a /6 seems more interesting...

HAS ANYONE BUILT ONE OF THESE?

I could use some help planing out a nice street machine using the Hyper Pack Idea!

SLANK SICKNESS! :twisted: LOL!

(Picture from NOV. 2000 HOT ROD article)

slantsickness.JPG

Get one of those aluminum /6 from the early Valiants. That would be cool! I have a magazine article that tells you how to spot them in a wrecking yard.

This my help!!
Go to, Mopar general discussion, And watch dgc33 vidio of his nice /6
and listen to it pur. And he my advise you on your build.
It is on the second page dated 12-27-06 In our mopar general discussion
I think you will injoy this.

well one of the biggest things you can do to a slant would be alot of head work u can unlock alot of power threw the heads, u can mill em .100 open the valves to fit 305 valves(cheaper and correct size) i cant really remember if the valve guides are correct try si valves site. :toothy7: I myself would build a slant if i had it in my car but mines is already v8 so im not. And from what i remember Clifford was tricky to deal with, you send em money and it takes a long time to get your stuff, they will say its in stock but its actually on back order just search around on slantsix.org for info its all over on that site. The hyperpack would defiantly be a big eye catcher at any from of show or show off in the parking lot of a local cruise night. but its pricy.

you can easly tell the alumnum slants, they have the engine somewhat carved out around the cylinders so it looks more round where the cylinders are. But they are not ideal for really much performance, you cant bore them much and all, all of this is on ss.org Link to alum. slant six engines

65s said:
Get one of those aluminum /6 from the early Valiants. That would be cool! I have a magazine article that tells you how to spot them in a wrecking yard.

Well those aluminum /sixes are pretty light but im not sure it'll make much of a difference and not sure it its too durable i herd something was not too good in em. Wanna work with what i got! thanks.

memike.1 said:
This my help!!
Go to, Mopar general discussion, And watch dgc33 vidio of his nice /6
and listen to it pur. And he my advise you on your build.
It is on the second page dated 12-27-06 In our mopar general discussion
I think you will injoy this.

Thats a preety sweet car! Thanks for the forwarding.

1966 dart wagon said:
well one of the biggest things you can do to a slant would be alot of head work u can unlock alot of power threw the heads, u can mill em .100 open the valves to fit 305 valves(cheaper and correct size) i cant really remember if the valve guides are correct try si valves site. :toothy7: I myself would build a slant if i had it in my car but mines is already v8 so im not. And from what i remember Clifford was tricky to deal with, you send em money and it takes a long time to get your stuff, they will say its in stock but its actually on back order just search around on slantsix.org for info its all over on that site. The hyperpack would defiantly be a big eye catcher at any from of show or show off in the parking lot of a local cruise night. but its pricy.

you can easly tell the alumnum slants, they have the engine somewhat carved out around the cylinders so it looks more round where the cylinders are. But they are not ideal for really much performance, you cant bore them much and all, all of this is on ss.org Link to alum. slant six engines

I will diffenately look into the heads and bring out as most power i can from them. Thanks for the good info!

I won't be much help. Reliable performance comes from cubic inches (which can be simulated with a turbo) and in an a-body I'll get mine from normally aspirated big inches. It's cheaper and easier.

yea, also i would suggest talking to charlie_s over there he is on this site but not very often, i gave him a call one day, really nice guy and gave me ALOT of good info, he is a big drag racer of the 6's he runs 13s with nitrous. Also sandy from bc is pretty cool too. Defienatly post over at ss.org though there are ALOT off good people with info. For example you can put a 100shot on a slant and as long as you time it right and have the right fuel amounts they run for quite a while. for what i remember.

good luck with all of it. O and to add if i was doing it i would look alot into turbo'ing the slant six. Charlie from above did it. and like the above pics some people REALLY get into it. but also slant parts can be kinda pricey, for like the intake (hyperpack), and such. you could get 198 con. rods and put 2.2 turbo(forged) pistons for a stroker motor :toothy7: :lol: yes people did this haha. now im just rambling but some people got some crazy stuff.

1966 dart wagon said:
yea, also i would suggest talking to charlie_s over there he is on this site but not very often, i gave him a call one day, really nice guy and gave me ALOT of good info, he is a big drag racer of the 6's he runs 13s with nitrous. Also sandy from bc is pretty cool too. Defienatly post over at ss.org though there are ALOT off good people with info. For example you can put a 100shot on a slant and as long as you time it right and have the right fuel amounts they run for quite a while. for what i remember.

good luck with all of it. O and to add if i was doing it i would look alot into turbo'ing the slant six. Charlie from above did it. and like the above pics some people REALLY get into it. but also slant parts can be kinda pricey, for like the intake (hyperpack), and such. you could get 198 con. rods and put 2.2 turbo(forged) pistons for a stroker motor :toothy7: :lol: yes people did this haha. now im just rambling but some people got some crazy stuff.

thank you wagon! well im getting a little mor into the turbo now...haha hopefully i wont get confused and change my mind again haha.

I sent charlie an email and depending on what and how he answer me is what i'll do.

I hope he gives me a pretty good plan.

I want to prepare my engine with all minor parts and rebuild it to be ready for a turbo uprade. with EFI maybe.

Then whn i have the money nd all parts i need i'll upgrade! =)

mean while...body work and cleaning of the car! :blob:

You will see the most gains in the head. Porting and shaving the mating surface. I have 0.100" taken off the head, I ported the snot out of it, clifford 4bbl intake(Hyper pac isnt much good for daily use the runners are too long for low speed operation), clifford shorty headers Yed to a single 2.5" pipe to a 2.25 in and out cherry bomb turbo muffler and 2.25" pipe out the back. It sounds really mean. with a stock cam, torque converter and , 3.91's in an 8 3/4 it runs high 15's in the 1/4.
MVC-005F.JPG

70Valiant said:
You will see the most gains in the head. Porting and shaving the mating surface. I have 0.100" taken off the head, I ported the snot out of it, clifford 4bbl intake(Hyper pac isnt much good for daily use the runners are too long for low speed operation), clifford shorty headers Yed to a single 2.5" pipe to a 2.25 in and out cherry bomb turbo muffler and 2.25" pipe out the back. It sounds really mean. with a stock cam, torque converter and , 3.91's in an 8 3/4 it runs high 15's in the 1/4.
MVC-005F.JPG

Wow that looks really nice! how is it with gas, i know it cant be too good on performance and too good on gas at the same time....or is it lol

I wouldnt mine doing something of that sort and maybe adding a turbo on the side, even though its gonna be hard to tune and stuff.

I remember that Hot Rod article from 2000. If I am not mistaken, they were able to squeeze almost pound for pound torque for CID.

BTW- I rescue old slant sixes that get tossed out of their homes for small blocks ;-)
No donation turned away :)

Russ

-
Back