What would you do?

-

67 HEMI

Reaction score
I am building a 71 Duster for the wife to drive. It will have a 904 with a tall gear...2.76 to 3.23 range. It will have air with a rotary style compressor. I have a 300 hp 360 magnum crate motor. It has FASS EFI,air gap intake, TTi headers, complete exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and x-pipe. I would like to put a little more camshaft in it like a P5007551 so it doesn't sound like a hybrid at the redlight. I have not made a convertor choice yet. I am fighting the urge to pep it up:burnout:What would you do? She will be driving it to work about 38 miles one way.

That's a haul. I think I'd not be concerned with the sound - you can always adjust that with mmufflers or exh design - and concentrate on a good OD trans and convertor.

Hugh's has a great roller cam for the 360/300. It really woke up my crate motor.

Converter would be a 3000 and the cam would be no more then 360 lift. But at least 300 duration. It would sound lumpy and still have torque at the bottom for the gears. The reason I say 3000 converter . With that motor It would actually brake stall at around 2600. Any lower than that it will be a real pig And also not idle well in gear.

Factory 340 converters were 3000. The lift was 444. 323's were the common gear. The 68 4spd. motors had around 355 lift. When installed in a 69 Auto car. It was a perfect driver with a lumpy idle. but the 69 up cam made more at the rear wheels with the factory auto trans. The 68 4spd cars had a heavy flywheel. They were installed for inertia for making it easier to pull out with that bigger cam on a hill.

Ask here if it sounds OK the way it is or if she wants more chop in the idle. Considering the distance it travels for her, I'd leave it alone.

She WANTS this for her 38 mile commute each day?? or are you building a set up YOU would like to drive..... LOL. I say this because you say YOU want to spunk it up. High stalls, rough idle cams, are cool on cruises or at the drag strip. But everyday, and I mean everyday drivers... that can get old.. Does she WANT to go through the drive through having to shut the car off to order?? Does she WANT to park in the back of the parking lot so no door dings happen?? Does she WANT to put gas in every other day??? Does she WANT to have to answer all the questions the guys will have at every stop... Buy her a neon and build the duster the way you want... LOL Sorry, I decided to have fun with this... LOL

She WANTS this for her 38 mile commute each day?? or are you building a set up YOU would like to drive..... LOL. I say this because you say YOU want to spunk it up. High stalls, rough idle cams, are cool on cruises or at the drag strip. But everyday, and I mean everyday drivers... that can get old.. Does she WANT to go through the drive through having to shut the car off to order?? Does she WANT to park in the back of the parking lot so no door dings happen?? Does she WANT to put gas in every other day??? Does she WANT to have to answer all the questions the guys will have at every stop... Buy her a neon and build the duster the way you want... LOL Sorry, I decided to have fun with this... LOL

Get out of here with all that common sense! :D Her daily driver now is a Black '09 SRT Challenger that she parks way away from everything. She had a 71 Duster when she was growing up and this is the car she wants to be able to drive to cruise ins, car shows and to work and also save miles on the Challenger. I guess I just needed somebody to tell me to leave it alone. I think she can get around 21 or 22 mpg with it if I build it with the parts we already have accumulated.

anytype of performance cam will be a huge step up on 300hp crate engine stock specs are like 256 .400

I would put a stock slant 6 or 318 in it for her.

thats an assuption that women dont like powerful cars .,......i can tell you first hand that some ladies do actually like to have a car with tire frying, put you back back in your seat, NASA launching POWER. :D

Take a look at Comp's 20-746-9, sounds like it would meet your criteria. It's the cam I'm running in my magnum and it's very daily drivable with a mild slightly choppy idle and good overall manners. Specs are 216/224, .506/.506, 114. As for a coverter, I personally run a 9.5" 3400 but it did ok with a stock converter too. For a daily driver I think a good 2400 would probably do just fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-746-9/overview/make/dodge

I don't have a good idle video but if you need one I can make it tomorrow.

Rani I was more thinking because of a near 80 mile drive each day.Gas $$$$

i was just messin with you guys ...because it is the assumption usually that women are into "chick cars"

but seriously i would build to suit her needs and most of all ask her.....to some people its worth the extra coin in gas to drive what you really want.

i spend more in gas myself but its worth it because im driving the car i want which does not do very good MPGs :D

thats an assuption that women dont like powerful cars .,......i can tell you first hand that some ladies do actually like to have a car with tire frying, put you back back in your seat, NASA launching POWER. :D
She likes the power of the SRT, when we first got it she said "If I am going to have a muscle car I would at least like it to sound like a muscle car" So I promptly put exhaust,cold air kit, and a programmer on it!
Take a look at Comp's 20-746-9, sounds like it would meet your criteria. It's the cam I'm running in my magnum and it's very daily drivable with a mild slightly choppy idle and good overall manners. Specs are 216/224, .506/.506, 114. As for a coverter, I personally run a 9.5" 3400 but it did ok with a stock converter too. For a daily driver I think a good 2400 would probably do just fine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-746-9/overview/make/dodge

I don't have a good idle video but if you need one I can make it tomorrow.
Thanks I will check that out, sounds like what I am looking for.
ask her what she wants,..i mean shes the ones that gotta live with it or make you re do it in the end...
Yep that is true.
i was just messin with you guys ...because it is the assumption usually that women are into "chick cars"

but seriously i would build to suit her needs and most of all ask her.....to some people its worth the extra coin in gas to drive what you really want.

i spend more in gas myself but its worth it because im driving the car i want which does not do very good MPGs :D

The Challenger only gets 21 and I feel like with the FASS EFI, headers and x pipe we can get that with the Duster.

The duster will make a nice driver, the challengers are super nice daily drivers so you better make the duster as comfortable as the challenger.

Now the main question is show some more pictures of the car in you avaitor.

The duster will make a nice driver, the challengers are super nice daily drivers so you better make the duster as comfortable as the challenger.

Now the main question is show some more pictures of the car in you avaitor.

I have a couple of cell phone pics of the Coronet but this video does it more justice.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbehwzJevh0"]1967 Dodge Coronet 496 HEMI 1100 HP Street Car - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back