What would you do

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a 66 valiant last year out of a field. Paid little of nothing for it. Started to tear it down to restore it for my wife. I went ahead and pulled the /6 out of it and rebuilt it. I mean everything in it is new. It is sitting on the engine stand waiting on the car to be blasted. Tore the interior out and found that the floor pan is totally gone. Trunk pan totally gone. As you know being a 1 year only you cant buy these parts. I ran upon another 66 Valiant Sunday. Bought it. The guy told me it was a 318. Brought it home and found out it is a 273. Not running. I dont know anything about a 273. My delimma is do I take the time and money and build this 273 or do I just go ahead and put the /6 down in it and move on. I dont know if the 273 would be a better choice for the money or not. I know nothing about a 273. all I have here are slant 6's and a 440. what do you think. Thanks,Bill

You have the /6 rebuilt and ready. Use it. Fix the floor and the trunk let your wife enjoy driving the car sooner rather than later. Keep the 273, rebuild it later on down the road if she wants a v8 or needs more power.

273's are great little engines and they aren't much different than any Mopar small block. There's a lot of owners here to help you along. I may be a little biased though. I own one.

engine 296c.jpg

You have the /6 rebuilt and ready. Use it. Fix the floor and the trunk let your wife enjoy driving the car sooner rather than later. Keep the 273, rebuild it later on down the road if she wants a v8 or needs more power.
Thanks.

Honestly- stick to your plan.
I’d prefer the 273 but your 225 is ready to go. When the wife wants to do burn outs then invest in that.

Look up autobodyspecialts in Middlefield, CT. They have the floor pans for 63-66 early a bodies. Heck even the 67-76 will work with some massaging and a die grinder. Unless you’re going for concourse resto, nobody will know. 90percent of the people would even look under the car.
If you are like me then you do it 100% even when body is looking. lol.

IMG_3016.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

I’d prefer the 273 but your 225 is ready to go. When the wife wants to do burn outs then invest in that.

Look up autobodyspecialts in Middlefield, CT. They have the floor pans for 63-66 early a bodies. Heck even the 67-76 will work with some massaging and a die grinder. Unless you’re going for concourse resto, nobody will know. 90percent of the people would even look under the car.

View attachment 1716213495

View attachment 1716213494
Yeah, she isnt a burnout kinda person. She has a 69 Valiant with a slant 6 in it that I restored 10 years ago back to the way it came off the line and that has enough power for her. I believe I contacted ABS and from what the lady told me they only have the 4 piece floor pan and this floor is totally gone. I dont know that those would work but I thought about going with a 67-76 pan but didnt know if that would work either. glad to mentioned that,will keep that in mind. thanks

View attachment 1716213495

View attachment 1716213494
Yeah, it is ready to go. Everything in this is new.

DSC04140.JPG

DSC04141.JPG

I would drop a 318 in it its direct bolt in or pick up a running 5.2 I would not install a a slant. I would stick the 273 in a corner and do something with it later.( Hey, you asked )
OR hey put floors in the other one and have 2 OR sell one with the slant OR...so many options :)
P.S. I knew a feller who would power brake a slant and get the wheels spinning in a 71 Valiant.

I would drop a 318 in it its direct bolt in or pick up a running 5.2 I would not install a a slant. I would stick the 273 in a corner and do something with it later.( Hey, you asked )
OR hey put floors in the other one and have 2 OR sell one with the slant OR...so many options :)
P.S. I knew a feller who would power brake a slant and get the wheels spinning in a 71 Valiant.
I sure did.

Really? You are frickin' unbelievable!

I will say do the Slant 6 swap into the better body. The money is already invested. Unless you are into being original you can make a trunk floor and floor pans for the rusty car at your leisure.If you even want to keep the rusty car. My 2 cents.

I that once I’ve got it running I won't be getting back to swapping engines later. I think I’d be putting the slant six back in if it’s ready to go because it sounds like you’ve got enough other things to get to.

Fab your pans, you are not building a hemi Cuda. You can easily make the reinforcing ribs. It ain't hard with a hammer and basic tools. Check out UTube vids.
Keep that 273 you might want it someday.

I bought a 66 valiant last year out of a field. Paid little of nothing for it. Started to tear it down to restore it for my wife. I went ahead and pulled the /6 out of it and rebuilt it. I mean everything in it is new. It is sitting on the engine stand waiting on the car to be blasted. Tore the interior out and found that the floor pan is totally gone. Trunk pan totally gone. As you know being a 1 year only you cant buy these parts. I ran upon another 66 Valiant Sunday. Bought it. The guy told me it was a 318. Brought it home and found out it is a 273. Not running. I dont know anything about a 273. My delimma is do I take the time and money and build this 273 or do I just go ahead and put the /6 down in it and move on. I dont know if the 273 would be a better choice for the money or not. I know nothing about a 273. all I have here are slant 6's and a 440. what do you think. Thanks,Bill
If the second car (273 car) has the better body, I'd build that one. If neither one has a good solid body, I'd find a third one that does and build it instead. Use the other two for parts. If your second car is good, I'd keep it a 273 and sell the rebuilt 225 to help fund the 273 build (assuming it's buildable of course). If you decide to find a third car, find a slant six one for your rebuilt engine. If you part out the 273 car, keep ALL the V8 conversion parts to sell someone who wants to do that conversion. If you need a list of all those V8 parts, let us know.

Does the 273 crank turn? Starter work? What carb is on it? 2bbl or 4bbl? Valve covers and intake bolted down? 4 speed or automatic? Driveline in place?

If it doesn't have to be rebuilt you might spend some time and effort to make it run to evaluate your next steps. If it's not seized, it may just need some TLC ( carb rebuild, starter, water pump, alternator, points, coil) and a few other things to run it as is.

If it smokes or knocks, plan to rebuild and swap in the six in while gathering parts.

Use the rusted out one for parts as needed.

Sounds like you want a cruiser. Build the best one with your /6. Keep the 273 in case you get the opportunity to build a roller.

Does the 273 crank turn? Starter work? What carb is on it? 2bbl or 4bbl? Valve covers and intake bolted down? 4 speed or automatic? Driveline in place?

If it doesn't have to be rebuilt you might spend some time and effort to make it run to evaluate your next steps. If it's not seized, it may just need some TLC ( carb rebuild, starter, water pump, alternator, points, coil) and a few other things to run it as is.

If it smokes or knocks, plan to rebuild and swap in the six in while gathering parts.

Use the rusted out one for parts as needed.
Its not locked, it turns. Dist. is missing. Carb is missing. dont know if it runs. I am going to drop in the /6 and put the 273 on an engine stand for maybe later.

It's not just a simple engine swap. You need to do the transmission too, along with the exhaust system, accelerator pedal assembly, radiator, some minor wiring differences, etc.

It's not just a simple engine swap. You need to do the transmission too, along with the exhaust system, accelerator pedal assembly, radiator, some minor wiring differences, etc.
Yep, I am well aware of that.I have all that stuff.maybe except the pedal assy. going to have to put a new exhaust system on it either way.

Back in the day, I have gotten 2nd gear scratch out of a 225 slant, in a 61 valiant. They are fun motors.

-
Back