What would you offer/pay for this pair of darts

-
I would go with the $800 to $1000 max price for both.
Since they have clean titles, someone will want them, either as a parts car or a project.
If you don't want to part them yourself, sell them whole to someone, it shouldn't be that hard to double your money.
Complete parts cars are hard to find.
DON'T let them go to the scrap yard as is!
They don't make them anymore........

I think all this "scrap it, they're worthless" business is nonsense. He said surface rust, not frame rot, and even then that's fixable if you care enough. If the interiors are good and they run decent, body work isn't that expensive. Pretty one up and use it as a driver!

I wasn't looking to fix these up., thought I'd like to keep the 1967. The 66 is a parts car that runs as far as I'm concerned. Guy didn't have time to mess with em and wants em gone.

I'm just gonna say if you want them hauled out I can do that and if I make a good amount parting them I'll give him a portion of what's sold. He wanted the transmission out of the 66 too.

I think all this "scrap it, they're worthless" business is nonsense. He said surface rust, not frame rot, and even then that's fixable if you care enough. If the interiors are good and they run decent, body work isn't that expensive. Pretty one up and use it as a driver!

Agreed, I see the use of the word "worth" a lot. I was an auto mechanic for 20 years and when someone asks me "is it worth it? "my reply is, 'its never worth it" Point is, its relative, just because a bunch of people on a forum think the MOPAR hobby is about $$, well you are right, Its about spending it, not making it. someone somewhere wants those cars, if you need beer money go ahead and scrap them or better yet, get a job ;) P.S. the people that say they aren't worth it, probably never actually restored a car, they buy cars for cheap and are in the habit of telling the seller that the car isn't worth it so they get off cheap Just my .02

These cars will not be scrapped for sure. 67 is not too bad of shape but the 66 is pretty rusty in trunk and lower quarters.

That 66 looks like it was pulled out of a lake.

I would give him $600 for the pair. About scrap price and sure, there are some good parts on it that can be stripped and sold but it will cost you time and money to do so.

Worth 600 in scrap, too far gone to make any money on. Would make more money parting them out

Was worth 600 in scrap. Around here they are paying out 80 for a car (25 to 40 a ton). Scrap is in the toilet right now. We have several yards that aren't buying steel at all.

Agreed, I see the use of the word "worth" a lot. I was an auto mechanic for 20 years and when someone asks me "is it worth it? "my reply is, 'its never worth it" Point is, its relative, just because a bunch of people on a forum think the MOPAR hobby is about $$, well you are right, Its about spending it, not making it. someone somewhere wants those cars, if you need beer money go ahead and scrap them or better yet, get a job ;) P.S. the people that say they aren't worth it, probably never actually restored a car, they buy cars for cheap and are in the habit of telling the seller that the car isn't worth it so they get off cheap Just my .02
Since I'm one of the people who recommended not getting these cars, I guess your remarks include me. I've restored 4 cars.2 were complete nut and bolt restorations. About 4 more vehicles were mostly restored, meaning the paint or engine was already done on those. None were cheap. Just because you disagree with an opinion, doesn't mean it's ok to start being insulting. Have some manners.

Well met Paul today and he hauled off the 66 dart for fair price. The 67 I have yet to make an offer on but i did end up buying the 1972 dodge adventure 400bb/auto for $600.

Not a bad looking truck

Attachments

• IMAG0331_1.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMAG0340.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMAG0341.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 179
Lots of big difference between east coast and west coast. Rust, culture, it goes on and on. After reading the above comments and then looking over the 66 in detail, it's hard to imagine the same car is in involved. But I get it, I used to live out east and if you saw a speck of rust there was usually a pothole of rust-through underneath. Not quite the same in the Pacific Northwest. But that's OK, I don't care what anyone thinks, I will just go on enjoying my mopars. Going to have a lot of fun enjoying that 66 on the road.

Big thanks to John for making it happen, we got them moved today!

The 66 looks great. Got some work to do, but fortunately I like working on old mopars.

From what I see, he should pay you to take them!!

I wasn't so put off by a flat tire, rusty wheel and valve covers, missing trim, and some dirt. I was more worried about "how are the floors? how's the cowl? Any rust around the t-bar sockets? any rust around the windshield?' And my all-time favorite:
"does the motor turn at all?"

This one passed all those tests.

There's more to the story though. You know, every car has a problem someone else didn't want to deal with, hopefully something you don't mind. The question always remains: why was it parked? Why did nobody just drive it away?

In this case, both Darts were parked in a storage barn, backed in, and both I gather ran at the time with no problems. But then - at some point they parked the truck sideways across both stalls with a wrecker, blocking anyone from even getting at either Dart. Want to work on a Dart? Get a forklift.

We had seen this before though, so a quick call to PS273's friend soon yielded a hi-lift bumper jack, a good old one for 4x's. We got busy jacking up one end of the truck and then tipping the jack over sideways to gain a foot of rude sideways movement each time. Meanwhile the PO sorted through a coffee can of old keys but failed to find any for the truck. We took turns with a coat hanger trying to get into the thing.

You know why they don't put those cool triangular wing windows in cars any more? because they're SO easy to get into. the best way turned out to be from above, with a loop pf coathanger finally pulled up ont he latch and open it is, an easy reach to unlock the door. Meanwhile the butt end of the truck was finally bounced rudely clear of the barn it was parked sideways in.

PS273 got busy with his Jeep and gingerly gave some tugs that eventually pulled the truck's tailgate sideways far enough that he could finally hook up and pull it on wheels out of the garage. That freed up both Darts for the first time and I could get busy loading the 66.

The PO is a nice guy, and was sad to see them go, but knew his time of collecting was past and said so. I couldn't help but think, I could have been that guy. I held on to my Darts for years, waiting for someday, until health almost did me in - almost! But that's another story. Fast forward, I'm doing great and getting the Dart on the trailer. It costs about $200 to rent a U haul car trailer and a pickup with 100 miles. PO was a little surprised to see me arrive with the trailer, I told him "That''s because I'm all talk and no action" with a wink. PS273 likewise brought a can of whoop *** attitude, PO was surprised to watch us open the place up, haul away lumber and then proceed to load these giant hunks of mopar steel. PS273 brought a trailer big enough to haul Godzilla, and soon we were loaded for the highway. We spent another while stacking the lumber back inside and chatting with a neighbor kid about local trails. (thanks for the water bottle dude, I owe you one!) Reason I mention the U-Haul is for the price, I had zero problems, zero worries about lights or tiedowns or anything on the way. Job done, Dart delilvered home.

I'll pick this up in a resto thread but here are some pics.

PS - you should see ProStocker273's mopar tattoos!

Attachments

• 66dart_home7.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 66dart_home6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 66dart_home3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 66dart_home2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 66dart_home1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 169
Paul, I think you hit the nail on the head, you simply cant compare Pacific North West surface rust on body panels to East Coast cancer rust from salted roads. I get stuff all the time that looks pretty bad but after the pressure washer are a whole new car. Nice find.

Can others please explain where you can scrap a car for over $65 today? Scrap is at an all time low and even a pick up with v8 is worth maybe $90....last week I think it was $22/ ton...I have huge amount of copper scrap from building harnesses and what was $700 is now less than $70....all types of scrap are almost worthless now after the Chinese economy took a huge dump and is still nose diving. They were the sole reason scrap hit such a price.

Maybe the rust makes it worth more:D

I wasn't so put off by a flat tire, rusty wheel and valve covers, missing trim, and some dirt. I was more worried about "how are the floors? how's the cowl? Any rust around the t-bar sockets? any rust around the windshield?' And my all-time favorite:
"does the motor turn at all?"

This one passed all those tests.

There's more to the story though. You know, every car has a problem someone else didn't want to deal with, hopefully something you don't mind. The question always remains: why was it parked? Why did nobody just drive it away?

In this case, both Darts were parked in a storage barn, backed in, and both I gather ran at the time with no problems. But then - at some point they parked the truck sideways across both stalls with a wrecker, blocking anyone from even getting at either Dart. Want to work on a Dart? Get a forklift.

We had seen this before though, so a quick call to PS273's friend soon yielded a hi-lift bumper jack, a good old one for 4x's. We got busy jacking up one end of the truck and then tipping the jack over sideways to gain a foot of rude sideways movement each time. Meanwhile the PO sorted through a coffee can of old keys but failed to find any for the truck. We took turns with a coat hanger trying to get into the thing.

You know why they don't put those cool triangular wing windows in cars any more? because they're SO easy to get into. the best way turned out to be from above, with a loop pf coathanger finally pulled up ont he latch and open it is, an easy reach to unlock the door. Meanwhile the butt end of the truck was finally bounced rudely clear of the barn it was parked sideways in.

PS273 got busy with his Jeep and gingerly gave some tugs that eventually pulled the truck's tailgate sideways far enough that he could finally hook up and pull it on wheels out of the garage. That freed up both Darts for the first time and I could get busy loading the 66.

The PO is a nice guy, and was sad to see them go, but knew his time of collecting was past and said so. I couldn't help but think, I could have been that guy. I held on to my Darts for years, waiting for someday, until health almost did me in - almost! But that's another story. Fast forward, I'm doing great and getting the Dart on the trailer. It costs about $200 to rent a U haul car trailer and a pickup with 100 miles. PO was a little surprised to see me arrive with the trailer, I told him "That''s because I'm all talk and no action" with a wink. PS273 likewise brought a can of whoop *** attitude, PO was surprised to watch us open the place up, haul away lumber and then proceed to load these giant hunks of mopar steel. PS273 brought a trailer big enough to haul Godzilla, and soon we were loaded for the highway. We spent another while stacking the lumber back inside and chatting with a neighbor kid about local trails. (thanks for the water bottle dude, I owe you one!) Reason I mention the U-Haul is for the price, I had zero problems, zero worries about lights or tiedowns or anything on the way. Job done, Dart delilvered home.

I'll pick this up in a resto thread but here are some pics.

PS - you should see ProStocker273's mopar tattoos!

Man that dart cleaned up pretty good.

I got the truck bathed yesterday

Attachments

• IMAG0413.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMAG0398.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 122
Not worth much to me, or even anyone else I would guess. Scrap is selling for $25 a metric ton, so everyone who thinks you will make money on scrap is absolutely wrong. I love my A bodies, but you would have so much time and money into making them a runner and presentable, you'd have to a special love and a large bank account to want these.

Once you knocked the dirt off I bet all the " haft to pay me" bandwagon-ers bit thier toungs HARD...looks killer. Thanks for saving the 66!

Sometimes dirt ,grunge, filth and a long time sitting are a buyers best friend!! Looks like you two made some excellent purchases as they both look to be real nice solid projects!! I bought some Challenger headlight bezels years ago at the Nats for $5 each that were covered in filth that turned out to be perfect!! Have fun with them!!

I understand the value of sweat equity. I also have owned all kinds of mopars over the years. "Value" is an assessed number for insurance, or a price agreed by two people. Given the car that resulted, looking at a picture couldn;t really give the detail to assess a hard number - so at least for me, I stay low with dollars and expectations. I've revived a few cars. If indeed that car sat unmoving for all that time, there is a good chance there's a lot more wrong. And honestly - even running and driving, what are these cars selling at? Because that's what determines any real value. Looks like a cool car - good luck with it.

-
Back