what year 225?

-

phelps409

Reaction score
I've searched high, low, and everywhere in between but I still haven't gotten a conclusive answer. I'm wondering what year my 225 /6 is. The number on the block just below the head is
H225T 1 88

Do you have a photo of the number? That doesn't seem to match what this chart is saying should be on there -

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/engines.htm

Engine numbers, for engines up to 1974.

To find the engine number for slant six engines, check the passenger side of the block just below the head. For V8 engines, check the drivers side front of the block below the head.

The engine number contains the build year and engine displacement. It may contain an assembly date. The assembly date may be as simple as 3-15 (March 15th), or based on the 10,000 day calendar (2787 = March 15 1969).

The simple date is decoded like the so number on fender tags.

The letter before the number is the model year A=1965,B=1966,C=1967,D=1968,E=1969,F=1970,G=1971,H=1972,J=1973,4=1974.
Example… B-273-A24 reads as...1966-273cid- October 24th

You can also tell the block displacement by the casting number. Often, but not always, a casting date may appear on the side of the block.

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 2.28.47 PM.png

H - Series (model year) 1972.

Look for a partial VIN next.

Thanks I was pretty sure it wasn't The original motor. By partial vin are you referring to the numbers casted on the other side of the block? Also since it is a post 65' block any transmission after 65' should bolt right up then correct?

Thanks I was pretty sure it wasn't The original motor. By partial vin are you referring to the numbers casted on the other side of the block? Also since it is a post 65' block any transmission after 65' should bolt right up then correct?

From this (see 3rd bullet below): Chrysler Slant-6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Significant production changes[edit]
  • The combustion chamber shape was slightly modified for 1967 to promote more complete combustion and reduce exhaust emission toxicity.
  • All G engines used forged steel crankshafts until the middle of model year 1976, when a less costly cast-iron crankshaft was introduced. The cast crankshaft uses a different block, different main and connecting rod bearings and different connecting rods.
  • The counterbore in the rear flange of the crankshaft was a 11⁄4-inch diameter until 1967. For 1968, it was enlarged to 11⁄2 inches. This difference has implications when swapping engines and automatic transmissions across this date line.
  • All G-engines used solid valve lifters through the 1980 model year, with the exception of a small production test of hydraulic lifters in the 1978 model year. For model year 1981, all North American G-engines received top-fed hydraulic lifters. Retrofitment in both directions is possible.
  • Emission control devices and systems, carburetor make and specification, and engine assembly details changed over the years to comply with market requirements and preferences.
  • Electronic ignition, which had been made available on V8 engines late in 1971, was made standard equipment on all engines including the RG in 1973.
  • Induction-hardened exhaust valve seats and upgraded exhaust valves were made standard in 1973 to withstand prolonged operation on no-lead fuel.

Any 68 or later trans will bolt up. That is the year the crank register became larger (for the torque converter hub). If the engine is a 72, you shouldn't have anything to watch out for. It's your basic forged crank, solid lifter slant six.

Hijacking the thread, here... I was just thinking about picking up a 1968 slant to replace the one in my 67... is this going to be a problem with my torque converter?

-
Back