what year is this?

-

67moparfan

Reaction score
hi all, I just bought this Dart this morning, the guy said its a '72, but I don't believe they made this in '72 did they?

it came with no title, I don't see a VIN anywhere on it. :banghead:

not that it matters much, just curios if anyone here can tell by the pictures.

thanks, JFA

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 257
  • dart 2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 273
Nope I don't think sports came out till 73 after they stopped building demon.

might be that it was originally a '72 Demon ( or , less-likely , a '72 Duster ) that was 'updated' to '73 - '76 Dart Sport lights / grille / trim .

The way to ascertain what model year this car is , is by looking on its radiator core support ( if it's still intact ) , its package tray shelf ( the metal panel under the rear window ) , or along the trunk's railing , under the weather stripping .
In any of those locations , you >should< find a series of 8 digits ; for example :
" B2 100001 " , which translates to :

B = Hamtramck ( Detroit ) Plant
2 = 1972
100001 = 1st car

These areas will not have a v.i.n. prefix ( e.g. , "LM29H" ) ; only the aforementioned , transposed plant / year , and the sequence number .

Let us know what you find ...

Dodge Dart Sports were the replacement for the Demons...

73+........

drag car only, the radiator core support is gone, tubed. I will check the other areas you mentioned, thanks!

I have a 74 Duster that will be built for the street later, and a 67 Barracuda..

this just seemed like to good of a deal to pass up.

It appears to be a 73 or 74 Sport
Shoot a picture of the engine compartment, firewall and the area of the back seat inner 1/4 panels were the front seat belts would anchor at the bottom.

It may have been built in '72 but it's a '73-up model year. Photos like what yellowdartdave asked for would help narrow it down if the car hasn't been modified in those areas. I take it the door sticker is gone?

It has the 72 rear bumper,not the 73-76 Crash type, but the tail lights are 73-76 Dart

hi, sorry, was busy at work today, didnt get any more pics, will try to tomorrow.

the firewall is all sheet metal, the driver door sticker is there but cant see any printing on it, the rear shelf has been cut out.

the bumpers are fiber-glas, has full plexi-glass windows (bummer, I need to put all glass in to run in AZ Fastest Street car)

nice car never the less and I really like the little spoiler under the rear window, nice touch :)

nice car never the less and I really like the little spoiler under the rear window, nice touch :)

thanks! not really sure why that spoiler is there, must have been a reason for it....maybe because they cut the trunk lid support webs (proper name?) to lighten it up, and the trunk rattled/flexed too much ? its really light but flimsy, I'd like to install some sort of hinges or just get a fiber-glas lid.

I would say it is a 73/74 Duster. A lot of work to change out the tail panel. unlikly think some one would have done it to change to a less desiered rear end. But you never know.

I found a door jamb sticker in a stack of papers the guy gave me, says it's a 73.

I disassembled the engine to inspect bearings and what not today, to my surprise, I found Childs/Albert aluminum rods, Ross pistons. under Brodix B1 heads. purple shaft(has 590 written on it with an orange paint mark) but don't know what cam it is yet (solid lifters).
the guy knew nothing about the engine/trans, I think I got a screamin' deal!!

I will dig into the trans this weekend if I have time, 904 cheetah valve body, t-converter unknown for now, small 9 or 10"..looks brand new.

-
Back