What Year Valve Cover?

-

doc540

Reaction score
I can get a nice one to replace the one I have that's really rusted.

Mine has three holes in the top but the better one has two and is painted blue.

My engine is a '68 (in a '61 Lancer)

Advice?

Thanks!

like this but in blue
slant six valve cover1.jpg

69 was the last year for that style but that short tube doesn't look right.

What's shown in that pic is a '61-'65 cover. There is nothing wrong with either of its two chimneys; the rear chimney is supposed to be shorter than the front one. The '66-'69 covers are similar except the short rear chimney is replaced by a flat hole and grommet, and the heater hose bracket is bigger and sturdier. The '70-'80 covers have three flat holes, one of which has cam ears for a twist-lock oil cap. All '60-'80 valve covers fit all '60-'80 heads. The '61-'65 type (shown in this pic) is something of a nuisance as regards the PCV valve these days, but it's not a showstopper by any stretch. Note that if you have a '60-'62 car not equipped with PCV, and for some strange reason you want to keep the primitive, ineffective road draft tube instead of retrofitting PCV, you must use a '60-'65 (2-chimney) cover.

Thanks, gentlemen.
If I go with the '66-'69 cover, do you have a part number for PCV?

Finding a good-quality(!) oil cap/breather for the pre-'70 covers is more difficult than dealing with the PCV system.

With a '66-'69 valve cover (one chimney, one flat hole) with a factory grommet you can use a factory '64-'69 metal curved-pipe PCV valve if you want the old-school look (and a valve that's never going to object to occasional dosing with carb cleaner). These valves are growing scarce and costly on the open market, but I have a stash of them; send me a PM if you want one. Or you can use a '70-'71 style plastic/metal valve, or a '72-up all-plastic valve. You can even use the AC-style take-apart valve if for some strange reason you want to. All of these options are extensively discussed and pictured here.

That's a '61-'65 cover. It'll work fine once cleaned and painted. What kind of air cleaner will you be using (on your carburetor)?

thoroughly cleaned this one and the ball is free
Can I reuse it?
View attachment 1715049350

If you can suck air through it from the hose side and not easily blow air into the hose side then it is still good.

Personally I am going with an offenhauser aluminum valve cover when mine goes back together. Adding baffles for PCV and a small threaded port that will allow me to use a PCV valve from modern japanese engine. They use small thread in units with full metal internals that will last forever with cleaning. The offy unit also has the advantage of a rigid gasket surface.

That sure looks familiar lol!!! It will to our beloved @memike too I'm sure. I'm flattered you chose some of my work doc.

For what it's worth, whatever you find out there can BE blue. << grin >> This is how that one you posted up there started out ...

008.JPG

019.JPG

... and how it left my shop.

004.JPG

006.JPG

010.JPG

If you can suck air through it from the hose side and not easily blow air into the hose side then it is still good.

Personally I am going with an offenhauser aluminum valve cover when mine goes back together. Adding baffles for PCV and a small threaded port that will allow me to use a PCV valve from modern japanese engine. They use small thread in units with full metal internals that will last forever with cleaning. The offy unit also has the advantage of a rigid gasket surface.

... and the disadvantage of looking decent only from a few feet back. Up close they're pretty lame castings, only partially polished with just a few passes over the buffer and no attention to the deep scratches first, and a lot of work to clean up.

Offy valve cover.jpg

... and the disadvantage of looking decent only from a few feet back. Up close they're pretty lame castings, only partially polished with just a few passes over the buffer and no attention to the deep scratches first, and a lot of work to clean up.

View attachment 1715049382

You are correct about the casting. I am painting mine to match the engine. It will look just fine painted red and it will better hide the alterations needed for adding PCV.

Personally I am going with an offenhauser aluminum valve cover when mine goes back together. Adding baffles for PCV and a small threaded port that will allow me to use a PCV valve from modern japanese engine. They use small thread in units with full metal internals that will last forever with cleaning.

Got info on what the baffles should look like, how to make them, and how (and where) to attach? My Offy is also baffle-less - Thanks!

gettin' there

going to add a new PCV valve from slantsixdan, new breather cap, and custom Mopar graphics on the air cleaner lid

451186a7-4b88-4565-8fcc-61b1e3612aa7_zpsmd6qidlr.jpg

-
Back