Whats a better tire? BFG's or Mickey's

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase new tires for my Dart and I've narrowed it down to either BFG-T/A radials or Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T.
Can anyone give me any info on how good these tires are? Do they ride nice?
Are they any good at the track? Any info would be helpful.
I'm leaning towards the Mickey's.

Thanks...................Ted

Neither of those tires will be "good" at the track, compared to a drag radial or a slick. I'm not sure one is better than the other, since they have a similar tread design. I have the BFG T/As on my Dart and they work pretty well, but mine have a 70 series sidewall, so there's a lot of cushion and flex.

What size tire are you looking at? This will make a huge difference in how it performs at the track and during normal driving.

Have you looked at the Firestone Indy 500 tires? When I was looking at the BFG to put on my Barracuda then found the F/S indy and it seemed to beat the BFG in nearly all categories and price was comparable. It also has a nice tread and sidewall design and are quite on the road.

What are you looking to do?

I run mickey's on everything I own. MT street comps are great for handling but are still sticky. I run them on the 40 ford streetrod. MT sportsman pros are unmatched for straight line street/strip performance. I run them on the dart..3rd pair. I also run them on my 4x4

I realize that they're not drag radials or slicks. That goes without saying.
This will be 95% street and an occasional trip to the race track. I'm looking at 275/60/15's on the rear and maybe a 215/70/15 up front.
I havent looked at the Firestones. I'll check them out, thanks.

I have the Sportsmans on the rear of my car. They can't handle the power I put to them (375 @ wheel), even from a 30mph roll they break free and spin. I have the 26 x 12 size, I wish I went with Drag Radials instead.

I run BFG Radial TA on my Dart. P295/50R15 on the back and P215/65R15 in the front. The BFG's don't get much for traction, but they smoke very well and don't wear out too fast. I street race a bit and I have problems hooking up. I am looking at a new set of rear rims and some MT Street ET's to use when I go out shaming all the local Fords and Chevies. That said, I like the looks and ride of the BFG's for driving on a daily basis.

I have the Sportsmans on the rear of my car. They can't handle the power I put to them (375 @ wheel), even from a 30mph roll they break free and spin. I have the 26 x 12 size, I wish I went with Drag Radials instead.

Are these the Sportsman S/T ? I'm wondering if the Sportsman S/R might be a better choice?

Are these the Sportsman S/T ? I'm wondering if the Sportsman S/R might be a better choice?

They are the S/R's. I had a set of 14.5" wide bias ET Streets on it and was used to launching at 3600 rpm with no spinning. These are only 12" wide, but they start to spin at about 1300 with the line lock on.

If 26x12 would work for ya, shoot me a PM, maybe we can work out a deal, they have maybe 150 miles on them only.

The sportman's are hard compound. You have to run a sprotsman Pro to get the drag slick compound and the wrinkle wall design. They can be mounted tubeles as well but that won't always last forever, they often develop a slow leak.

-
Back