What's a Ford 9" worth?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I know, not Mopar, but a lot of you guys have Ford 9" rears in your cars. I'm curious what you paid for them? I'm not looking at buying one, but I just scrapped a 68 Falcon and cut the 9" out of the back. It's complete drum to drum, with unknown gear ratio, and has shock plates. Wondering what price to list it for.
Thanks for your input.

depending on the gear ratio and if it is limited slip or not. id say 150-350. they are pretty common.

Are you absolutely sure it's a 9 and not the smaller 8x? Measure the spring perches and width. It might just fit an A body Mopar

I'm running one out of a Monarch/ Fairmont/ Versaille with factory disc brakes, bolts right in. Spring perches were 1/2"? wider, OAL was a little wider, taken car of by wheel offset.

Are you absolutely sure it's a 9 and not the smaller 8x? Measure the spring perches and width. It might just fit an A body Mopar

I'm running one out of a Monarch/ Fairmont/ Versaille with factory disc brakes, bolts right in. Spring perches were 1/2"? wider, OAL was a little wider, taken car of by wheel offset.

Not positive, but did a 68 Falcon V8 get anything other than a 9" ?
I'll measure the spring perches next time I'm at the car.

Keep in mind the Ford 8.8 is readily available,just as strong as the 9 and many come with disc brakes. I think they are a better choice personally but it's your ride!

The "little" rear, 6" something ring gear, came in I6 cars and has a similar apperance to our 7 1/4" rear. Most all Falcon & Mustang V8's came with the 8". Only performance and a few 4spd. models came with the 9". The easiest way for me to tell is the flat part of the housing, bottom of the center section, is about a inch longer. Also, most came with a 2.80 open gear. If i can find pics that illustrate what i'm talking about i'll post them.

Also I'm told that the smaller 8" and 9" if you look at the lower bolt for the third member under the pinion to the housing, there's one nut which

on an 8" you can use a socket and extension

on a 9" the pinion casting overhangs the nut and you must use a box/ open end wrench

8" rears were pretty common. Our 64 Fairlane had a 260 with a 8" in it, had a 66 Stang that came with a 289 and an 8".......

This may or may not help.....

9" rears after 1966 had the ring gear hump in the housing. Earlier one's did not.
View attachment 19in.jpg

This is a typical 8" rear, although the very early one's had a fill plug in the back of the housing.
View attachment 18in.jpg

P.S. Sorry Mike, you asked about value. If it is indeed a 8", unless it has a traction-loc, it's probably just about worth scrap value as there were probably millions made. With a aftermarket carrier/ring gear they will handle pretty decent hp behind a automatic, close to 400. The're great for a lightweight application. Total Performance supplied them with all there T-Bucket kits. I doubt there's much demand on the Mopar side.

If it's a 9", i'd advertise to the ford market as it's a bolt in for all the guys building up low/po Mustangs and Falcons.

OK... so far we've established that a Ford 9" is worth somewhere between a few barnyard animals and $350.00. lol

For anyone thinking I'm buying one to put in my junk, I'm not.

I'm just asking what they're worth so I can sell one.

Anyways, I'll put a pic up later of the rear I have and you guys can tell me what it is. It looked like a 9" when laying in the dirt looking under the car, but when I flipped the car over and cut it out with the torches, it looked different.

Cut it out, definitely an 8". Was hard to tell looking under the car which was 1" off the ground.

So these aren't worth much I assume?

3760460F-E335-4C60-855A-15C1235D5D47-3712-0000043BEF26060A.jpg

32BCCD08-400D-4690-BDF0-22C82AC13675-3712-0000043BE9EFB110.jpg

-
Back