whats a good rod for a 340 600hp.?

-

bones427

Reaction score
Looking to replace my stock rods what do you guys recommend? 500 to 600 hp limited nos shot up to 175hp. under 7500 rpm

Good worked stock rods with ARP bolts.

Carrelo H-beam over 800 CHP and sees 8000 all the time, has been as high as 9300, street driven. I have had many I-beams exit the block. If you do use I-beams buy several extra. Take all of the rods with a large bump above the piston pin and toss them. These rods have porosity in the beam and the bump makes up for the wieght they are missing between the pin and the rod. The smaller the bump the stronger the rod.

Go get a bunch of used 360 340 rods and go through them. These are already been tested through time. Do what I said , have them resized and checked for straightness. ARP bolts are a must. Remember Scats are just Eagle rods that have passed a higher Quality control. They come from the same chinese Manufacture. Scat 8 out of 10 meet the same quality standard. Eagle 8 out of 20.

The rods and pistons are the legs of the motor. I don't care how strong the back bone is if the legs don't have muscle around them they will break under a load. Once you go over 550 in a 3200 lb. car you need strong rods . I know guys with Scats and Eagles that have no problem. But you still have to have them Checked. Any good engine machinest will tell you that. Never install them out of the box. You are gambling if you do.

what about the probe ibeams they look nicer than the scats? why i beams wouldn't a h beam be stronger than the scats or probes? i already have arp bolts in my stock rods i just want something stronger.

The I beam is the best rod overall. The H beam is slightly stronger, but heavier. Heavier means slower revs, less rpms overall, and more stress on the crank and block. That's why the best engines in the world use I beams, but very expensive, very light, and perfectly made ones. OMM is right, the differences in the imported rods is basically the finish machining and quality control and none should be installed without having them cycled and carefullly checked.
The cheap I beam Eagle rods are a light weight stock replacement (the SIR rods). I would not use them in a 600hp application. Nor would I use factory rods. They are simply not designed for it, and over the long term, they run a serious risk of failure. Especially in a stroked engine where the acceleration and deceleration rates of the piston are so much faster. I would either use the Eagle H beams, which are fairly cheap but heavy, or a set of better I beams. As I said, K1 has a very nice I beam rod that's not going to break the bank and the finish quality is very good.

where do you get the k1 I beams? I can't find a listing only H beam. Price?

I went back and checked the build I was thinking about... My apologies as I was mistaken in saying "K1 I beam". I was thinking K1 and for the build I was thinking of used Compstars. Plus, it was a unique setup running the Chevy 6" rod. As I said, despite the weight, an H beam will work. That BPE guy Dave (DJV) is using for his 430" build might be worth a shot. I've never found a set of Eagles H beams that passed muster without honing the big ends and I've used 3 sets of small block ones over the years. I've only ran one set of K1 H beams, but they were perfect out of the box.

Running Scat I-beams here. Had local machinist check every rod. He is an anal detail oriented guy who specializes in hi performance engines. He said every rod was 100% perfect. He was impressed with the quality.

-
Back