Whats affordable now a days ?

-
Adam,

I have nothing to offer or ad.
But I feel your pain.
Everyone knows the same factors are at play.
Good economy and supply drying up.

When I bought my A bodies almost 20 years ago I paid 400 and 600 dollars.
Pound puppies nobody wanted. Cars like them were in junk yards.
And one of them actually was.

Five years ago I drug a B body home for 2400 dollars.
Not the most popular one.
But not a dog either.
Now, after working on it I COULD ask 24000.
Might get it.
Might not though.
And I wouldn't sell it for that anyway.

1962-v200.jpg

I'm hoping to find a new project this spring. My budget will be pretty low, about $2000. Doesn't seem like there's much left in that price range. 64-65 Valiants maybe ? Seems like even 73-74 cars are going for more than that now.

early darts and valiants have gone up on price, wagons and trucks are hot right now so they are commanding more and more money..

unless it needs a ton of rust repair or you just get lucky 2k isn't buying much at all.. yup fox body stangs are going up and up through the roof too. hell even a 80's regal, cutlass, Malibu are bringing better then 2k now...

maybe something in the 90's or early 2000's out there that you like? th eold stuff is just stupid money any more. every day i think about selling the dart and LRE and being done with it. maybe buy a 05-up mustang rag top. this old **** is just crazy any more..

Not around here, I have been watching for an early valiant wagon , that I CAN AFFORD AND NOT ATE UP WITH RUST.
There is no such thing !!

i agree... wagons are hot now. they are bringing good money these days. just like trucks..

i agree... wagons are hot now. they are bringing good money these days. just like trucks..

I have found this to be very true^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I also have been kinda watching for a short narrow bed 81-89 dodge pick up. The only one I have seen is a pretty dang fast small block built by a local mopar guru named Wayne .

I let pass a 73 FE5 rallye red 318 AC car needing only quarter patches near the rear bumper body-wise.

Sat on CL for most of last year. Good pics in the ad, too.

Started at 2900 and got down to 2500 for the last few months.

I just didn't need another project.

Seriously, if you find a central FL car and need it checked out, let me know.

I'd charge a small, one time fee (my time and gas) to get it and I have outside storage available until you can arrange transport.

Be advised 1- FL cars get "top down" rust, unlike NE cars "bottom up" rust.
This also means vinyl top damage can be severely amplified.

...and 2- a fair number of FL cars are actually from other states, driven down when their owners moved south.

Hey Adam. Here ya go. Little over your budget but not much.
Reminds me of your old car.
1974 Plymouth Duster | eBay
Let me know if you want to make a deal.
Pics are great BUT is that car!? HINT: seller is at least somwaht honest. Bubbling in rear quarters. Vinyl roof! He foxed it. OK Yea right. I refuse to buy any car hat had a vinyl top, just me,and yes I can replace the entire roof.
99% of cars advertised on CL and FB Market place are priced general 2-3 time what they will sell for. Yes it I hard to find any half decent project for less than a grand anymore.
Generally you will find a car needing everything, or one petty much done ($$$). Those in between, that run/drive, someone has repaired all the rust with good work, pretty much all there. That is what you are looking for, I doubt you will find that as cheap as the $2000 you want to spend. Will likely cost some more, but IF a slant car, not too much more.
OK I did not see you are from the NE! Personally I would not buy any car from that area unless a NON winter driven car
Problem with most people getting into the hobby starting off, they have NO idea what is what. NO ide what to look for, ability to work on them, tools,place to work,etc.
Toads yes cheap, NO arts available, NON to be fond anywhere generally. F bodies, NON performance models can be cheap, but FRAME problems, up North!!! unless you find a little ld lady slant car, never driven in your salt!
You guy up there will fin a good car down South and not pay the shipping. HINT: You usually don't find good car cheap on Feebay!
Find the local Mpar club, meet people and learn, and network.
Good luck!

Last edited:
I dont have any friends with truck. At least nothing that would make it out of town lol.

Guess Ill keep saving my pennies and hope my wife doesn't find something more important to spend it on. I would much rather get something I know I'll like rather than settle and hope grows on me. Preferably a 73 Dart Sport/Duster

I knew what I wanted and searched and saved and searched and saved.....
Took me THREE freaking years to find - but I'm so glad I didn't rush or "settle"....I found the car I love.

Jeff

Pics are great BUT is that car!? HINT: seller is at least somwaht honest. Bubbling in rear quarters. Vinyl roof! He foxed it. OK Yea right. I refuse to buy any car hat had a vinyl top, just me,and yes I can replace the entire roof.
99% of cars advertised on CL and FB Market place are priced general 2-3 time what they will sell for. Yes it I hard to find any half decent project for less than a grand anymore.
Generally you will find a car needing everything, or one petty much done ($$$). Those in between, that run/drive, someone has repaired all the rust with good work, pretty much all there. That is what you are looking for, I doubt you will find that as cheap as the $2000 you want to spend. Will likely cost some more, but IF a slant car, not too much more.
OK I did not see you are from the NE! Personally I would not buy any car from that area unless a NON winter driven car
Problem with most people getting into the hobby starting off, they have NO idea what is what. NO ide what to look for, ability to work on them, tools,place to work,etc.
Toads yes cheap, NO arts available, NON to be fond anywhere generally. F bodies, NON performance models can be cheap, but FRAME problems, up North!!! unless you find a little ld lady slant car, never driven in your salt!
You guy up there will fin a good car down South and not pay the shipping. HINT: You usually don't find good car cheap on Feebay!
Find the local Mpar club, meet people and learn, and network.
Good luck!
Yeah I was trying to help a member out. And yes I 'Foxed' it right. And I am honest look at my rating on here or eBay. Or ask anybody that knows me. Any other negativity you want to throw at me?

Yeah I was trying to help a member out. And yes I 'Foxed' it right. And I am honest look at my rating on here or eBay. Or ask anybody that knows me. Any other negativity you want to throw at me?
Sorry I did not connect the ad to a FABO, I apologize for any negative comments. I did not mean to infer the seller in the ad is not honest, BUT I will say this. People mention bubbling in rear quarters, now days generally with a car with older restoration. DA this area down and it will require patch panels to do it right. And pics never show any one what they will see in person. You pointed out the bubbling areas I tried to point out this takes metal work to truly fix You said fix it or drive as is. So I as wrong in what I said!
My comments about CL, FB, Feebay, are generalizations! Just my opinion of 99% of cars advertised there. Again I was not trying too do anything but point out pitfalls in buying these old cars.

Last edited:
I told my wife the other day, I eventually want to do another one. Preferably a 75 Scamp. Duster is stock slant all the way. Scamp would be it's evil twin with all the 'go fast' parts. # 1 requirement is it needs to be solid. Not saying I won't do any body repairs, but not another rust resurrection.

I told my wife the other day, I eventually want to do another one. Preferably a 75 Scamp. Duster is stock slant all the way. Scamp would be it's evil twin with all the 'go fast' parts. # 1 requirement is it needs to be solid. Not saying I won't do any body repairs, but not another rust resurrection.
Here is the deal with these old cars, and you have one so you know. Body/paint is the biggest booger for everyone. To find a surviving rust free car these days is almost impossible.
Then there are many older retos? What was it condition before that resto, was it done correctly, how long ago? These cars are made of metal. Metal is always in some state of rusting, generally from inside the fenders, rear quarters, et., , between layers if steel welded together. So rust is always a problem.
Then there is the question IF we want a car showing no rust Who does the work. The owner? Or find a shop that does resto work, in a timely manner, quality work?, that can be afforded or the price makes sense to spend on a car that will never be worth the total spent on it?

I have owned since mid 80's an untold number of these old Mopars. Back before the internet, I always had projects/restored, and all in between cars for sale in Mopar Collector Guide (MCG). I had somebody ever week, asking IF I had what they wanted???? ie example: 69 RoadRunner, 383 4 speed, had to ne B7 blue, tan interior, pretty good body, NO rust, pretty straight, few door dings maybe OK, had to run an drive "pretty good", BUT does not need rebuilt drivetrain, interior needs to be pretty good, no rips in seats, paint, does not need to be fresh, just pretty shiney. Needs to be priced under xxxx$, and not be over half hour drive away! Yes reallyl I always got a chuckle, especially when I told them I had cars here that came from 10 miles down the road, and some I drove 1000 miles after!

Adam , I'm not trying to be an asshat but a good project is going to cost you AND you are going to have to travel to get it . I've been searching for a truck project and finding nothing but junk . A,B,C,F,M,J's are expensive . Right now I'm looking at AMC , Hornets and Americans to put in a 5.7Hemi . Still a Mopar . I also think not considering a more door is going to put you out of reach of a lot of fun . The usual sources of cars are just about gone . You have to get creative . Try Gary LePlante @ Wenkel Auto in Milford , N.H. He's a Mopar guy , parts vendor and expert on Mopars . He is NOTcheap but he is very fair . good luck

99% of all old Mopars and their parts are in the hands of enthusiasts. Yes a very few Mopar boneyards, very few! It is nor hard to tell the ads on CL, feebay, etc where some guy pulled a rotted old car out of is uncle's back pasture, and has no clue.
I have found a few decent projects on FB Marketplace. Way better than CL.
Here is the thing. I lived in Missoui for 38 years before coming to Tx 2 1/2 years ago. I knew so many Mopar guys there, I never evr had a problem finding any type of car. The condition and price varied, but I always could find anything. Here in Tx, not near the cars available, and prices in general are stupid. This is Chevy country, and everything and I mean everything! I have to buy here is more expensive, harder to find. It does not man all high priced cars sell though! I have bought a few good projects fairly priced, but it took a lot of networking generally.

...but they are still out there.

Patience, knowledge and a little flexibility will pay off.

There was a really clean 74 225 AC Duster with a nearly perfect body and super clean interior just a few months ago down here.

Started at 10K, then 9, then 8, then 7. I guess 5 was the magic number on that one as I only saw it listed for about a week at that price.

Before that there was a 318 no AC 74 Valiant Broughham 2 door with a nice interior and very, very little rust, but paint was chalky. Started at $4500 and IIRC went for $2900

There is currently a FxBO member in KY selling a running, driving, shiny 70 340 Duster with a nice interior for 13K. That's a factory 340 car, and IIRC, it's OBO!

You should ask this guy for some pics-

1975 Plymouth duster

1975 Plymouth duster - $2500

1975 Plymouth Duster good project car solid frame all original numbers matching all the trim is there all body lines are straight doors open and close very good needs metal work & interior it has 75,000 original miles straight 6 the car will start does not drive must sell
would love for the car to go to somebody who will actually have time to put in the work
Call Anthony show contact info 2500 obo

FWIW, Adam is very proficient at doing bodywork. It’s something he doesn’t mind doing. On the flipside, as for a guy like myself, it’s the bane of my world. Drivetrain suspension electrical interior, I’m OK with that paint body, not so much.

Sorry I did not connect the ad to a FABO, I apologize for any negative comments. I did not mean to infer the seller in the ad is not honest, BUT I will say this. People mention bubbling in rear quarters, now days generally with a car with older restoration. DA this area down and it will require patch panels to do it right. And pics never show any one what they will see in person. You pointed out the bubbling areas I tried to point out this takes metal work to truly fix You said fix it or drive as is. So I as wrong in what I said!
My comments about CL, FB, Feebay, are generalizations! Just my opinion of 99% of cars advertised there. Again I was not trying too do anything but point out pitfalls in buying these old cars.

Apology accepted. Yes I did fix the roof and floorboard myself. I did point out that it needed a lower fender patch and lower quarter patch. I could have easily done those, however my time is worth something. I would rather pass a long a good deal and let somebody else enjoy the car. I mean really this car is worth almost what I was asking in parts alone. However, I would rather keep another cool car on the road.

Apology accepted. Yes I did fix the roof and floorboard myself. I did point out that it needed a lower fender patch and lower quarter patch. I could have easily done those, however my time is worth something. I would rather pass a long a good deal and let somebody else enjoy the car. I mean really this car is worth almost what I was asking in parts alone. However, I would rather keep another cool car on the road.
I agree your car is well worth the money IMO. I was just pointing out the pitfalls of our old car hobby and trying to find a decent project!!! In the original post the guy was hoping to find something worth having for $2000. Not easy to do these days!
Personally I hate ever selling off one of my cars. It is like selling a member of the family, trying to describe it is like describing one of my kids! I know they are not perfect, they are human. So I never buy anything I am not happy keeping, and IF I want to thin the herd, I do not care if someone buys it or not. But whoever buys it, I always hope they will give it a good home an love it for what it is!! Never perfect!

I'm hoping to find a new project this spring. My budget will be pretty low, about $2000. Doesn't seem like there's much left in that price range. 64-65 Valiants maybe ? Seems like even 73-74 cars are going for more than that now.
If you're willing to travel, there's several around me going for around that 2000 mark. Not complete basket cases either.

Save more. It's going to cost you $5K plus the ride to find anything not overly rusty and with some potential.

-
Back