whats better, a stock 340 or 340 torker intake?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, i have heard how horrible the torker 340 intake is. ii have one, but do not have a stock one.
is the torker any improvement over stock,, or is it about the same just a little lighter?

ok, i have heard how horrible the torker 340 intake is. ii have one, but do not have a stock one.
is the torker any improvement over stock,, or is it about the same just a little lighter?

My thoughts are on a stock engine the factory manifold would be best thru the whole power range. With more cam and headers the T/340 would lose some at the bottom and pick up alittle at higher rpm's. I personally only used one on a modified engine with 3,500 stall and 4.57 gears. Worked pretty good, but that was back 30 yrs. ago. There's alot better offerings today of course.

thanks rick. i do not have nor want to spend where i do not have to. as i am putting a bigger cam, but stock other than that.
i figured i had it, so i wanted to try and use it.
also, i do not plan to run headers. stock 340 manifolds

thanks rick. i do not have nor want to spend where i do not have to. as i am putting a bigger cam, but stock other than that.
i figured i had it, so i wanted to try and use it.
also, i do not plan to run headers. stock 340 manifolds

I here ya' on the use what you got. If you stay a little smaller with the carb, maybe 650-700 range and have a sufficient acc. pump shot for that open plenum, drivability should be decent.

It depends. IMO, the 1971 340 iron intake will beat several aluminum ones and the Torker is one, I believe. That 71 intake is just a factory badass with the 72 a close second. 73 and up not so much because of the EGR wells in the plenum floor.

Go with the stock intake hands down. The Torker isn't all that great..

I also heard a guy at the last Mopar show telling me about the Holley Street Dominator. He said it was a terrible intake. Switching it from a stock 340 intake slowed the car down 3 tenths...but he did praise the "Strip Dominator". Of course, YMMV.

But on the other side of the coin, people slam of Offenhausers pretty bad too..I love those intakes though. My '71 318 pulls like a freight train with the 360* version.

When I was young I tried all kinds of things and I can say that the quickest way to kill low end performance and make the car slower is to bolt on a high rpm single plane intake. The only way it'll even work at all is with a 4 spd. or auto with a real loose converter and low gears (4.11 or lower). I've tried the old style torker twice and neither time did it work well. The torker 2 is a whole different ball game, but that's not what you said you have.

In your case I'd use the stock intake. They were decent intakes.

4.10 was the MIN gear folks ran when they used those old Torkers, they came out in the mid 70's. My D/C 1979 catalog list 4.10 gears and up--lower, 4.30-4.50. Even 3.91's had no listing numbers

Then there was the TM5 with deeper runners, those were the strip intake--7,500 to 8,000 redline, try to get those revs on a stock dual plane intake

I was going to say that I loved the way my old 340 ran with the torker on it (with a 780 Holley).

Oh yeah, and 4.10s and a huge cam...

I loved my 340 w/a Strip Dominator and 3.91's on a 14 inch tire. Would be like low 4.xx on a 15 incher. It was scary without a 6AL box, I would bounce the needle on that old SW 6K tach like it was a drum stick. With a Mopar "031" 284/484 cam, it would pull until you let off, well past 7. Stick with the Iron, remove any EGR crap from the floor., maybe notch the wall LD-340 style.

-
Back