What's the best cheap engine stand for a slant six?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals: I need an engine stand to store a 1974 model year slant six engine on. Should have a rotating head to turn it upside down. Looking for a good used one in Minneapolis, or recommendations for buying a new one. Thanks!

I like my Harbor Freight stand. It's 1000 lbs rated, has the single leg up front with a "T" and two wheels. It was easy on the pocket and works great. I think it was like 55 bucks on sale or something

Craigslist a lot of times has engine stands for sale.

People build their engines then sell the stand.

Usually in the auto parts section.

☆☆☆☆☆

I would highly recommend you spend a little extra and get a stand with 4 wheels, not 3. The 3 wheel stand tips over very easily. Ask me how I know......

I would highly recommend you spend a little extra and get a stand with 4 wheels, not 3. The 3 wheel stand tips over very easily. Ask me how I know......

^^^^^^ Completely agree with this. A slant is very long and top heavy, and can tip over a 3-wheel stand in an instant.

I like the HF 2000 pound foldable one. Why buy a CHEAP engine stand? Think about that for a minute. Real hard if you have to.

Here is the one I bought recently. Held the cast-headed 440 like a breeze.
1691984916694.png

I have a “U” shaped one that
the legs are pretty wide for stability and does sut on 4 wheels. It has a slant on it now; my other one has my 273 in it

:steering:Some are made to stand engines on end. Great for installing cams. Especially 6 bangers. Not cheap.

I would buy the best 4 wheeled stand that I could afford, you never know when it will come in handy.

I bought an engine stand 20 plus years ago ,have used it many times get a good one...and I second the 4 wheel stands also.

:steering:Some are made to stand engines on end. Great for installing cams. Especially 6 bangers. Not cheap.
Yeah, I really like the stands that bolt on from the side of an engine. Those are badass, but have a badass price, too. lol

You said just to store, so do you really need a stand at this time? Maybe just some 2x4 and casters if you're just keeping it around. I really don't undertand why anyone would want a 3 legged, just too unstable especially moving it around. I had a 2.2 on one and it was very unstable. I've got a U shapped 4 wheeled one an it's very stable even pushing it around. Craigslist, FB marketplace has some good deals if you don't need it today.

I'm about an hour north of you, and when I had the same need (albeit for an EFI 460 I wanted to store, not a slant 6) and couldn't find anything decent on CL, I talked with my neighbor (a retired GM mechanic) and bought an Eastwood "EZ Turn" stand and never looked back. Glad I did, too, as I've used the hell out of it and it's never let me down.

Right now I have mis-centered 318 hanging on it (it rotates unevenly), and it didn't even sag when I bolted-it on. Not inexpensive, but it's the best engine stand I've ever owned/used.

I'm about an hour north of you, and when I had the same need (albeit for an EFI 460 I wanted to store, not a slant 6) and couldn't find anything decent on CL, I talked with my neighbor (a retired GM mechanic) and bought an Eastwood "EZ Turn" stand and never looked back. Glad I did, too, as I've used the hell out of it and it's never let me down.

Right now I have mis-centered 318 hanging on it (it rotates unevenly), and it didn't even sag when I bolted-it on. Not inexpensive, but it's the best engine stand I've ever owned/used.

[/URL]
Great advice - many thanks!

-
Back