What's the best way to find a dead cylinder?

-
A simple way to check the timing chain for wear (stretch) is to bar the engine over to TDC. Then with the breaker bar, try gently rotating forward and backward feeling for the slop. The cam and valvetrain restrains the rotation. A new chain may have a couple of degrees back and forth, while a worn chain can have 10 degrees. Don't have to take anything apart.
I thought it was 5 degrees, but regardless....Something like this?

Link to a video I sent to Bazza of his 318's TC:

Jim

Hey, Cruiser. You're only 30-45 minutes away (depending on whether I'm at work or home), and if you have a shop that can check-out (or rebuild) the "spare" Slant, I'd be willing to do the actual swap at my place in Zimmerman for you (or with you). With the help of the Good People here I got Bazza's 318-powered VG back on the road last summer, and since I really don't have a way to Pay It Back on this Site (I'm a Ford guy, remember?), perhaps I can help you out, as a partial Thanks to all who helped me out last year.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Think it over, and feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like to chat.

Jim

Last edited:
Wow, so if I am reading your gages correctly, your % of leak in each cylinder is roughly? :

#1 - 16%
#2 - 80%
#3 - 90%
#4 - 79%
#5 - 80%
#6 - 95%

I've never tested a motor that bad. Was the test done on a warmed up engine? Again, are you sure each cylinder was at TDC with valves shut? Those numbers seem insane to me for a running engine. Maybe I am reading the numbers wrong.

Wow, so if I am reading your gages correctly, your % of leak in each cylinder is roughly? :

#1 - 16%
#2 - 80%
#3 - 90%
#4 - 79%
#5 - 80%
#6 - 95%

I've never tested a motor that bad. Was the test done on a warmed up engine? Again, are you sure each cylinder was at TDC with valves shut? Those numbers seem insane to me for a running engine. Maybe I am reading the numbers wrong.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. You saw the photos of the leak down test on the actual gauges. And yes, the testing was done correctly by a very experienced shop that builds racing engines.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. You saw the photos of the leak down test on the actual gauges. And yes, the testing was done correctly by a very experienced shop that builds racing engines.

And you can vouch that each cylinder had the piston at the top with both valves shut? You saw it? I just still cannot believe those numbers. Buy your own tester and check it out. Just my opinion...

-
Back