What's the best way to Knock out the breather Holes?

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a sexy set of Mopar Performance Valve covers. What's the best way to punch out the breather holes? In addition, what's a good Torque spec for valve covers? I was thinking 5 ft lbs(60 Inch lbs). MMG

Attachments

• valve cover.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 196
Buy a hole saw, or drill a bunch of small holes in a circle then knock out the middle and clean up with a round file.

They are made to be knocked out. I used a ball peen hammer and hit it with a brass hammer from the top down and they popped out. Then I cleaned up the hole with a rat tail file.
I did it to a pair of the same covers I purchased new and sent off and had Leanna powder coat, I did it to them after I got them back.

They are made to be knocked out. I used a ball peen hammer and hit it with a brass hammer from the top down and they popped out. Then I cleaned up the hole with a rat tail file.
I did it to a pair of the same covers I purchased new and sent off and had Leanna powder coat, I did it to them after I got them back.

Yep, I use the ball end of a ball pein hammer. Smack the flat face with a brass or soft faced dead blow hammer works best. toolman

get a deep set socket that is just under the diameter of the knockout and use a hammer to hit it. found that the hole they make is just to small for the mopar PCV valve and then had to drill out the extra material to allow it to fit.

Ken, I just now saw this reply. I'm curious to know if you had any chipping issues as a result of the post-coating knockout work?

For what it's worth guys, this is exactly the kind of stuff I can do here for you before coating your parts ... just let me know! I do all kinds of metal prep and deburring on everything that shows up anyway (included at no charge of course).

I used the ball end of a ball peen hammer and the hole opened up rather easy. I finished the edge off with a file and it turned out great. I think the trick is not trying to break it out to fast. I hit it gently/firmly from both sides and it started to break out rather quickly. MMG

Leanna,
No chipping issues at all. That great looking powder you put on stayed right where it was supposed to.

Leanna,
No chipping issues at all. That great looking powder you put on stayed right where it was supposed to.

Happy to hear it! Thanks for confirming Ken. I appreciate the reply and the great compliments about my work. (Your check's in the mail LOL!!!) :-D

-
Back