What's the correct way to Prep and paint my 69 slanty.

-

Mike69barracuda

Reaction score
My slant 6 was just pressure washed. The block has surface rust.

What's the correct way to Prep and paint my 69 slant 6. I'm going to use rattle cans. Should I prime first...With What??

Should I use VHT paint for the slant 6?

Exhaust manifold will be a grey...cast iron? Any suggestions...Any pictures you can share with me.

Any other suggestions.

THX

Last edited:
What the heck is a slanty ? Whatever it is, I would wire brush the rust and use VHT primer and paint.
slanty, is that one of those jap 4 poppers. lol

Get 3" or 4" wire wheels on a drill to knock the rust off first, then degrease, then prime, then paint...

What the heck is a slanty ? Whatever it is, I would wire brush the rust and use VHT primer and paint.
slanty, is that one of those jap 4 poppers. lol

It's half of a wedgie:lol:

Hmmmm.....I've always heard no primer. I just painted my block and heads using several light coats of Duplicolor Hemi Orange.

Be sure to use the high heat paint designed for engines.

I painted my 340 with 1-Shot lettering paint and a paint brush, so far it's lasted 23 years and still shines

Hmmmm.....I've always heard no primer. I just painted my block and heads using several light coats of Duplicolor Hemi Orange.

Be sure to use the high heat paint designed for engines.

I've always used primer. It helps the paint stick better. The paint doesn't stick to the bare metal as good as with the primer. Duplicolor makes an engine primer.

Here's the engine that we are working on now...

DSC03881 B.jpg

DSC03882 B.jpg

DSC03885 B.jpg

DSC03914 B.jpg

DSC03921 B.jpg

DSC03925 B.jpg

DSC03926 B.jpg

I was about to say "a.k.a. the leaning tower of power", I like the "half a wedgy" reply too.

I use an etching primer. Use a wax & grease remover to clean it real good.

remove rust, clean with "wax and grease' remover, or pure d enatured alcohol. the factory just shot them with single stage enamel. along with overspray on things like exhaust manifolds that were already attached to the engine prior to paint. any type of paint will eventually burn of the exh manifolds I figure. maybe some of the guys with the big budgets have found something??
seems it is hard to find a spray can paint that has enough solids to compete with spraying real paint. and high temp paint?.. not sure there really is such a thing. just so the can tells ya that!

I've always used primer. It helps the paint stick better. The paint doesn't stick to the bare metal as good as with the primer. Duplicolor makes an engine primer.

Here's the engine that we are working on now...

View attachment 1714936638

View attachment 1714936639

View attachment 1714936640

View attachment 1714936641

View attachment 1714936642

View attachment 1714936643

View attachment 1714936644
Is that Chrysler turquoise paint? I think I may go with that color on my block.

What color is that? Looks badass!

It's Chrysler turquoise...

Cudachick powder coated the silver with turquoise lettering on the intake. Did a great job - as usual.....

I stuck it on for the photo shoot...

I used an old "dummy" manifold for the painting in the first pictures with the primer...

Is that Chrysler turquoise paint? I think I may go with that color on my block.

Here are pictures of the exact cans that we used.... (Let's see if it is right side up in the first picture or the software rotates it sideways...)

It took between one and two cans to do 2-3 coats on the 340 pictured above...

DSC03990 B2.jpg

DSC03991 B.jpg

Here are pictures of the exact cans that we used.... (Let's see if it is right side up in the first picture or the software rotates it sideways...)

It took between one and two cans to do 2-3 coats on the 340 pictured above...

View attachment 1714936731

View attachment 1714936732
I second using the mopar paint for a spray can. high amt of solids. I assume it is as good as it was years back. I have used every method there is over the last 3 decades, and I like spraying an enamel with heavy solids with a cheap primer gun. .

Cudachick powder coated the silver with turquoise lettering on the intake. Did a great job - as usual.....

I used an old "dummy" manifold for the painting in the first pictures with the primer...
Leanna does great work!!!

remove rust, clean with "wax and grease' remover, or pure d enatured alcohol. the factory just shot them with single stage enamel. along with overspray on things like exhaust manifolds that were already attached to the engine prior to paint. any type of paint will eventually burn of the exh manifolds I figure. maybe some of the guys with the big budgets have found something??
Yeah ^^^^^
And the cooling bypass hose with the spring type hose clamps was on the engine when painted at the factory.
And when I took my original 64 apart, there was red over
spray on the aluminum 3 speed manual bellhousing but it was mostly natural cast aluminum. And if you really really want to get into the nitty gritty, there was over spray on the flywheel through the starter hole. With the engine at TDC the red patch lined up perfectly. I find stuff like that interesting.
I bead blasted my exhaust manifold and sprayed it with Eastwood high temperature gray exhaust manifold paint. Then baked it in a powder coating oven for awhile.

Man it looks so clean! I have a 318 I'm gonna drop in my valiant . I was gonna go with the blue but I think the torqouise is way cool!

vht makes a paint that is for the exhaust manifolds. it is good for temps from 1300-2000 degress. i have used it and is still on my exhaust manifold.

-
Back