What's the correct way to Prep and paint my 69 slanty.

-
Here's my 440 in Chrysler turquoise after 15 years. Applied POR15 turquoise paint with a brush after thoroughly cleaning and degreasing. It flowed out smooth to look like it was sprayed, which allowed me to paint it while still installed and not worry about overspray. The AC compressor is POR15 black too.
image.jpeg

I took cookie sheet and painted it with the correct Mopar Turqoise paint, and had my paint store scan it. So I used single stage Urethane out of a gun after I cleaned and primered it.
016.JPG
002.JPG

Here's my 440 in Chrysler turquoise after 15 years. Applied POR15 turquoise paint with a brush after thoroughly cleaning and degreasing. It flowed out smooth to look like it was sprayed, which allowed me to paint it while still installed and not worry about overspray. The AC compressor is POR15 black too.
View attachment 1714936960
Very nice. That's what I have in mind for my 69. THX

View attachment 1714936960
Outstanding!!!. That is the route I'm going. Did U buy a pint or quart? How many coats?

What did u use the clean and degrease. Great job!

Outstanding!!!. That is the route I'm going. Did U buy a pint or quart? How many coats?

What did u use the clean and degrease. Great job!
It's been 15 years now, so I'm not so sure what I did anymore. I believe that I bought a quart, but I don't know if I applied one or two coats (probably just one though because it has a lot of solids and it doesn't like to be painted over when it's dry). I also used POR15‘s Marine Clean to clean and degrease, plus I also wiped it with Prepsol before painting. I powder-coated the valve covers before painting (the powder coat powder didn't quite match the turquoise so I painted over it).

The Rustoleum's "engine" spray paints (500 F) have a primer, so must be useful. I also bought a cheaper brand 500 F paint at Harbor Freight on sale. On my 273, I used Rust Destroyer spray primer, because it claims 800 F and both converts rust and etches bare metal. Even after wire-brushing, I still had some surface rust I couldn't get rid of. But give it >1 week to fully dry since it likes to lift top-coats.

On my cars, I paint the block one color and other components different colors, when I have them off. That gives a resto-mod look. On car shows, they usually assemble everything, then paint it all together, as the factory did, especially Graveyard Cars does so. Your car, so do whatever pleases you.

-
Back