What's the difference?

-

68 Sedan

Reaction score
Anybody have a side by side pic to show the difference between a 318 and a 360 oil pan?

Guess I should explain why I'm asking. Back before I picked up the 318 I'm stuffing in to the Sedan I was snooping around on ebay. I ran across a guy selling (what I can only guess are) factory "seconds". He had a new chrome small block pan for way cheap. And since I had no idea if my motor had been sitting on the pan potentially crushing it, I figured it was a safe buy. I didn't realize there was a difference.

So now I have this brand new pan and no idea which small block it fits. If it turns out it's for a 360 then I'll pass it on to someone who can use it.

If you haven't bought an oil pan gasket set for your 318 do so. Try the end gaskets on your shiny new pan. If they fit you have a 318/340 pan. If they are too short you have a 360 pan. Hope this helps.

I've got a Sb pan gasket around here somewhere. Not sure which it's for either lol. Don't even remember where or why I got it.

A note about the "chrome". I'm really not a bling kind of guy. BUT, it would be sort of vintage, and it was cheap....which was the main reason I bought it.

Thanks for tha info guys. I'll track down this gasket and see which it's for, and go from there.

-
Back