Whats the easiest way to find "302" heads?

-

70Swinger

Reaction score
The othe day me and a couple friends went to a auto wrecker to find a pair of "302" heads, but this auto wrecker they take the parts off for you. See im new to all this so i cant really tell the differences between engines, how can you tell if its a 360 or a 318? cuz we found a truck that was the yr 1988 but we donno if it 318 lol. Where can you find the casting numbers to tell that they are "302" heads? just thought i should get some info on them be for i go get one of the guys at the wrecking yard to go take the heads off then find out there not the right ones.

Thnx, Adam

On the block, just above the starter, is the block casting number on small blocks. The last 3 digits are the engine dispalcement. I'm not positive, but I believe the only way to see the head casting number, is to remove it, and look in the cast in flat between the two inner intake ports...

also the numbers should be under the valve cover, on one of the intake runners- it might be a "gooked" with oil or whatever. Have you checked with any local machine shops? I work at one and very rarely do we use the 302 casting numbers so they might just sell them real cheap and since you'll probably end up there sooner or later for a valve job it might just be easier to get some from them- and then they can PT them and check the seats so you know your getting a good set of heads- not like the Junkward where you get whatever "Bubba pulled for ya's"!

My shop has 2 sets, cleaned,and passed mag..need all new stuff, but that's normal.

The casting head numbers are underneath the runners near the intake, cast into the intake runners. I have a picture on my home computer. I'll post later. It may be possible to see with a mirror if the grease isn't to thick.

-
Back