What's the quick low down on vin #'s, titles, etc.? please help

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
I am scrapping some rusted Mopars: 78 d300, 77 volare, 73 satellite

I remember how previously in other forum threads that people were irate about being cheated out of their cuda's and valuable cars.

Can I take the vin off of the dash, and keep the title to transfer it to my titleless volare or give it to somebody who needs one?

I am not trying to profit but have purchased cars before that only came with bills of sale since some (cutoff) year only requires bills of sale to register here in georgia. The early f bodies were often rust buckets and i will probably buy another later model f body from someone here in Georgia in the future if i can stay stationed here.

If the car is not valuable, nor stolen, what can this violate? what problems could arise or do i need to avoid. If this is wrong and you KNOW it, please tell me.-thanks, MT1 Anderson

I am scrapping some rusted Mopars: 78 d300, 77 volare, 73 satellite

I remember how previously in other forum threads that people were irate about being cheated out of their cuda's and valuable cars.

Can I take the vin off of the dash, and keep the title to transfer it to my titleless volare or give it to somebody who needs one?

I am not trying to profit but have purchased cars before that only came with bills of sale since some (cutoff) year only requires bills of sale to register here in georgia. The early f bodies were often rust buckets and i will probably buy another later model f body from someone here in Georgia in the future if i can stay stationed here.

If the car is not valuable, nor stolen, what can this violate? what problems could arise or do i need to avoid. If this is wrong and you KNOW it, please tell me.-thanks, MT1 Anderson

( DON'T DO IT. ) Unless you like jail time. You answered your own question in your 2nd paragraph...
Destroy all vins and paper work of scraped cars.

Swapping of VINs from one vehicle to another vehicle is ILLEGAL no matter if you are profitting or not.

Selling vins and titles supports auto theft.

FABO does not support auto theft.

For example: I could go rip off a 73 Satellite right now, contact you for a title and vin and have the car registered in my name within a week.

What kind of car do you have? Let me know and i will try to find a title and vin for one just like it. My wife has family in Georgia, I will see if they have friends that could steal your car for me...... I will have it registered in my name within a week.

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT? IS THAT THE "HELP" YOU WANT TO GIVE?

Sorry, but even asking about this is ignorant and stupid.

Damn. Chewed up and spit out. Right quick like.

Remind me not to ask any dumb question's on here. If I don't know something,better to just remain ignorant.

What if you buy a chassis repop or wrecker and use your rust bucket to restore it is that illegal. They seem to do it on these TV shows or do they re register the car.

What if you buy a chassis repop or wrecker and use your rust bucket to restore it is that illegal. They seem to do it on these TV shows or do they re register the car.

Here's the thing: After a hemi Cuda or sixpack Roadrunner "gets so rusty," this becomes what is lovingly known as a "rebody." When the rust gets so bad that you are basically welding "the rest of the wrecker" onto the stubs that were your rare serial numbers, if it's NOT illegal, it ought'ta be

I don't give a damn what the serial numbers say. A "car" (composite?) that started out originally as a Satellite will never be a hemi or sixpack car.

Why else would this question come up? Otherwise, you can title it under the second "wrecker" car.

Remind me not to ask any dumb question's on here. If I don't know something,better to just remain ignorant.

This may have been a tough big pill to swallow, but I urge you not to take that attitude, a true story:

Years ago, in a previous life, a fairly nice, rust free, straigtht 55 Chev body had gone through several owners in my home town, and I knew all of em. When it was running, it belonged to my cousin. I had it in storage over the six years of my Navy "life," and sold it to a local kid around 74-5. He put a HELL of a lot of money into that car, using a wrong title. (The only title I was given didn't even match the car.)

This was all just great until one dark, stormy night he found himself at the hands of the cops in the State of Montana. He spent a night in jail and MONTHS trying to get "his" car back, one which he really didn't have any proof of ownership!!!

With some questions you need to drop the hammer hard and fast.

This was one of those questions.

A hard hammer here is better than the judges gavel.
thanks, I am not offended nor incensed at all.

i just needed to know, and the fabo people were a quick resource

...but who's gonna steal a rusty volare? they can't give them away.

-no worries, i have learned my lesson-thanks again

As pointed out earlier in the thread VIN swapping is a felonious activity, but in reality as long as niether car is stolen and the car isn't going to be sold as something it's not (like a original slant six barracuda with a hemi VIN being passed off as the real thing) it's a victimless crime. If the OP wants to swap VINs from a rusty 77 volare to a solid 77 volare with no paperwork I dont see a problem with it, but johnny law will have a problem with it so you takes you chances. If you were to embark on such an endevor keep in mind that the VIN is stamped in a few places on the car which would need to be "addressed", and if you grind the bottom of the VIN plate rivits you can pull the plate off without it looking suspisious. Oh and you didn't hear that last part from me.

Sadly, this idea is still alive and well in just about every part of the hobby. Case in point..

I was interested in purchasing a pair of Roadrunner parts cars, one a 68 and the other a 69. The price of the 68 was $1500.00 and the price for the 69 was $3500.00. When I asked why such a price difference, the owner stated that the 69 had a title which could be sold for big $$$ on the internet. Mind you, this is a junkyard owner at that!! I politely informed him that I was parting them both out and had no intention of "selling" the title and tags from the 69 to anyone, and that I didn't even need the title because there would be nothing left but rust to sweep up when I was finished. We haggled for a couple months over the 69 and we finally agreed on a price of $1900.00. Never got the title though, and I often wonder if that clapped out car is still running around somewhere, albiet with a new body!! I didn't give him back the tags though!!!

My advise, don't even bother switching the numbers, you can always get a re-title for the car with a missing title based on the VIN and just let it be what it was meant to be!! Geof

My understanding is that a NEW replacement body can receive the VIN from your old body legally in the same manor as other replacement parts such as dash pads and doors. I haven't done it, but in talking to the DMV here in Ca, the CHP has to do the actual attachment of the VIN tag to the NEW body. In the past, we've been able to swap the VIN tag to a new dash pad and get new VIN stickers for the door and do it in the shop without CHP involvement. I'm not sure why the replacement body shell would be treated different but that's my understanding. Has any one actually done one of these swaps? I know they won't allow a USED body to be re-VINed with one from another vehicle. If someone needs a VIN and it's not stolen, get one assigned from your DMV or highway patrol or whatever agency is in charge of it.

-
Back