whats this "340 car" worth?

-
The front seats are not duster seats, the rear is. The grille and head light bezels are easy to find. The tail bezels are too but they are usullly pitted a bit. what color is the car supposed to be?

The new color is supposed to be a burnt orange color.

The rear end turns out to not be a 8.75 but a 8.25 (it has a removable cover).....

But like I said, the guy hasnt called back or returned my emails so I guess its no longer on the market.

Its frustrating putting so much energy into looking for and then following up on a car like this......I am glad you folks are here to provide some feedback....!

Well, just thought I would followup on this, since youfolks were kind enough to give me advice and your thoughts...

After telling the guy I would be coming up to see it numerous times, I got no replies back to my email and phone calls that I left confirming he would be there when I got there (3 hrs away)

SO, either he sold the car to someone else, or he caught wind of this thread of posts and realized it was his car and feels that I am asking too many questions.

Funny -- I last talked to him late on the evening of the 11th...where I told him I would be coming up the next day or saturday and would call email/call him to tell him which one late on the 12th due to work commitments.....and he said he was fine with that......then I found a new Craigslist ad for the car, posted just an hour or so after that phone call....this time changing the wording a bit....now saying "needs some work" and taking out the "obo".

I suppose he could be one of the folk still without power in his state, so no email....but no cell phone?

My guess is he sold it or has another potential buyer coming up who isnt asking as many questions.

Oh well...guess it wasn't meant to be.

I guess this is all part of the search, eh?

Thanks again for all the help, and advice....hope I can count on the same for any future possible finds....

You know, I think you should think about this 69 Dart. Make him a great offer on it. I know he's said he was open for offers! My .02

: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=54138

shadango....did I see you are from McKeesport, PA in one of your posts??? I'm cross town in Robinson Twp.

shadango....did I see you are from McKeesport, PA in one of your posts??? I'm cross town in Robinson Twp.

Yep...thats me. I live on the edge of Mckeesport/White Oak.

...and still hunting for a car. :cheers:

detector.jpg

Nothingbutdarts: thanks.....looks like its a good car.

Could be that it is....

I figure if I can find a solid frame/floor car with body and paint in decent enough shape to drive for a bit and with a decent running v8 setup, I would be golden....

Problem is, seems like that is the holy grail ....LOL

Lots of people selling, but the yare askin ga lot of money for what they have.....they feel it is worth every penny...but when you look at the car subjective, not so much.

This one looked decent enough to consider...and the 340 engine/drivetrain was a good start I figured, paint aside.

Something will come along....

I have seriously considered several cars now....

I was told by a couple sellers that they are in no rush to sell their car, so price is firm.

Well, I am in no rush to buy either....I have cash and ready to buy when the right one comes along at the right price, but I am not just gonna throw money into a pit.....so I ask tons of questions and ask for photos....usually, things come out in that process that take the seller off guard some. But they are firm, so thats where it ends.

All part of teh game I suppose.

It IS frustrating searching though ...ads that say "Serious inquiries only"...."no emails please...phone calls only"........"FIRM PRICE...DONT ASK".....or responses like "WHy dont you just come out and see the car" in response to my asking some questions.....etc.

I guess things arent as bad economy wise as they say....LOL

If I were selling a car, I would be open to it all....especially if my car was an original 6cylinder needing huge amounts of body work and/or paint and having average engine bays.....I can understand being firm on a price when its a numbers mathcing all original car...but when its a converted car? And then the sellers want no feedback on why I dont think their car is worth the price they are asking?

Then, on top of that, I have seen cars for sale for $3500 and "flipped" with no work put into them and back on the market for $7k in a week......talk about shady. One I had been considering was sold and flipped this way before the buyer had even secured the title yet!!

Like I said, I am in no rush.....the right one will come along.....menawhile, my cash is earning interest (a pitiful amount as it may be...LOL)

The clean cars out there for fair prices are still hard to find. I saw an original '73 340 Duster (H code) on craig's list recently. Looked like original paint (light green), very very straight, body looked very original, rally wheels, seller claimed strong running engine with after market cam and higher compression, asking $4,500. Ad was gone in a week. I am sure someone jumped right on that and snapped it up.

If you want a good car you will need cash and a tailer on hand and be willing to jump on it when the right deal comes along. If you aren't fast enough some one else will be. As bad as the economy is there are a lot of people sitting on the side lines waiting to jump on a bargain. And those people are well prepared and ready to move quickly.

As far as that guy not returning your calls etc move on. That car sounds like it was band aided and slapped together to be flipped. You can pretty much be sure every corner that could be cut was cut.

Some people are firm with their price, because they paid a lot for the car a few years back, and aren't willing to take a loss.

It's hard to find a rust free A-body for a good deal, and everyone thinks what they have is worth it's weight in gold. Thank God the recession hit, as A-body prices were about to hit ridiculous Barrett-Jackson money.

The reason people are saying what they are saying is because it sounds like you want to buy that car. We are trying to talk you out of it. It is worth about $1,800. Thats to me. Unless it has an 8 3/4 sure grip. Then I would pay a little more. That car has been thrown together. Real fast and real sloppy. Plus its just a /6 car. Shop around and dont settle on something like that just because you are aware of it.

Hi, you asked for opinions and you have received them. It also appears that you finally got some truthful information from the owner, after you pried it out him. My advice to you is - WALK AWAY!!
Just look at the simple economics of the thing, if you paid $5K for the car you still have $10K of work left to make it right (if you ever can). You can buy a real nice righteous piece for $15K - Hell, I'll sell you mine.
Walk away and keep looking - finding the right car is half the fun!

-
Back